Noob tire choice

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 at 22:50 Quote
I just bought a stump jumper for all mountain, and the specialized tread it came with is less then confidence inspiring. Any thoughts on a good all mountain tire that will climb but still let me shred the descents? I was thinking single ply minions but I'm not sure how they will climb.

Posted: Oct 12, 2012 at 5:50 Quote
What tires do you have in there now? Some if the spec tires are pretty nice for AM work. What do you not like about your existing tires that brings your confidence down?

As far as Minions go, they are an awesome tire. Just not great if you send loads of time on level ground.

Posted: Oct 12, 2012 at 6:32 Quote
You should try Conti Rubber Queens. They are perfect for both downhill and uphill, and unlike scwalbes they last twice as long. I currently use 2.2 for front and rear, but you can try 2.4 for front, it will absolutely make a difference in good way, sadly I am afraid to try 2.4 because my rims are kind of narrow.

Posted: Oct 12, 2012 at 10:17 Quote
macross87 wrote:
What tires do you have in there now? Some if the spec tires are pretty nice for AM work. What do you not like about your existing tires that brings your confidence down?

As far as Minions go, they are an awesome tire. Just not great if you send loads of time on level ground.

I have the spec purgatorys on it now, the don't seem to hook up into things the way I'd like.

Posted: Oct 16, 2012 at 19:15 Quote
Me and all my co-workers have been loving our Swalbe Hans Dampfs, great AM tires!

Posted: Oct 17, 2012 at 11:31 Quote
gclarida wrote:
macross87 wrote:

I have the spec purgatorys on it now, the don't seem to hook up into things the way I'd like.

man, the purgatory is a great tread pattern for am. You might want to evaluate some other aspects of your riding to see if it can be sorted.

First. You refer to yourself as a noob, and the number one noob problem I had at the time, and what I see other's having is the excessive, or poorly timed braking. This is a huge problem for traction. Your tire loses traction mainly through braking, rolling is what the tire wants to do, so one finger on the brake and try to get to the point where you aren't braking much through the corners by either braking before the turns or coming in at the appropriate speed off the bat

second. Tire pressure, your tire pressure can cause bad traction either with too much or too little. If you feel like the tire casing is "rolling" or being too flexible, then you may have too little pressure, OR you might have crumby/ skinny rims and too large a tire. If you feel like the tire is just skipping over terrain, you may have too much air. Tubeless is a good upgrade.

post your weight, rims, tire size, and current pressures. and type of terrain you most often ride.

Also, you should have more air pressure in the rear tire than the front, and it's a good practice to have a faster rolling rear tire and a more aggressive and slightly larger front tire.

Posted: Oct 17, 2012 at 12:02 Quote
minotro wrote:
gclarida wrote:
macross87 wrote:

man, the purgatory is a great tread pattern for am. You might want to evaluate some other aspects of your riding to see if it can be sorted.

First. You refer to yourself as a noob, and the number one noob problem I had at the time, and what I see other's having is the excessive, or poorly timed braking. This is a huge problem for traction. Your tire loses traction mainly through braking, rolling is what the tire wants to do, so one finger on the brake and try to get to the point where you aren't braking much through the corners by either braking before the turns or coming in at the appropriate speed off the bat

second. Tire pressure, your tire pressure can cause bad traction either with too much or too little. If you feel like the tire casing is "rolling" or being too flexible, then you may have too little pressure, OR you might have crumby/ skinny rims and too large a tire. If you feel like the tire is just skipping over terrain, you may have too much air. Tubeless is a good upgrade.

post your weight, rims, tire size, and current pressures. and type of terrain you most often ride.

Also, you should have more air pressure in the rear tire than the front, and it's a good practice to have a faster rolling rear tire and a more aggressive and slightly larger front tire.

The purgatorys have little to no grip at high speeds, they dirft every flat corner terribly. I guess if you like to descend slower then all hell they could be alright.

I guess I should have been a bit clearer, I've been racing down hill for 3 years and the purgatorys aren't as aggressive as I need. I assure you it's not my riding that is the problem.

Posted: Oct 17, 2012 at 12:54 Quote
gclarida wrote:
minotro wrote:
gclarida wrote:

The purgatorys have little to no grip at high speeds, they dirft every flat corner terribly. I guess if you like to descend slower then all hell they could be alright.

I guess I should have been a bit clearer, I've been racing down hill for 3 years and the purgatorys aren't as aggressive as I need. I assure you it's not my riding that is the problem.

ah, okay, in that case,I Like the Neurons a lot for dh, or the Bontrager FR4 (i don't think they make these anymore) for more AM enduro. (climbing, and less rolling resistance)

Posted: Oct 17, 2012 at 13:49 Quote
I just went from the Kenda Nevagals which are OK.

I just switched to Swalbe Hans Dampfs and really like them.

I am running them tubeless and the traction is awesome.

Posted: Oct 18, 2012 at 9:54 Quote
I run Continental Barons 2.3 on my Five, they're truly amazing.

Posted: Oct 19, 2012 at 3:17 Quote
GaryOrange5 wrote:

2nd that they are an amazing bit of rubber, do you do much on the road with these bad boys?? i found my barrons to be slow and really hard work when on the tarmac... altho they really made up for it on the dirt, loads of grip...

iv got 2.2 Rubber Queen's on both front and rear at the moment and have to say im finding them great for everything... cant say they hold me up on the roads and are great on the trail's.... cant comment on how they are going to perform in the coming months as this is the frist time i have run them in the winter....

but the barrons are hanging up in the garage ready to go if they do put me in the ditch.. Blank Stare

Posted: Oct 19, 2012 at 10:07 Quote
stucon wrote:
GaryOrange5 wrote:

2nd that they are an amazing bit of rubber, do you do much on the road with these bad boys?? i found my barrons to be slow and really hard work when on the tarmac... altho they really made up for it on the dirt, loads of grip...

iv got 2.2 Rubber Queen's on both front and rear at the moment and have to say im finding them great for everything... cant say they hold me up on the roads and are great on the trail's.... cant comment on how they are going to perform in the coming months as this is the frist time i have run them in the winter....

but the barrons are hanging up in the garage ready to go if they do put me in the ditch.. Blank Stare

I've not ridden them on Tarmac yet. Tried them on all sorts of soil types around here and seem to perform amazing. Even on hard pack they rolled pretty well. The only time I've struggled with grip was on slick, wet rock. Which compound did you go for?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010692
Mobile Version of Website