Sexiest DH bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Sexiest DH bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 12:34 Quote
christiaan wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
christiaan wrote:

My thoughts... when will shimano finally step up and make a true dh groupset, a bit lighter too

Don’t need to fix something that is already amazing. And let’s just look at the saint brakes, miles ahead of the SRAM code/guide garbage...........STILL

Will take code rsc/ultimate over saint brakes any day

Yes saints suck

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 12:36 Quote
Saint is a decent groupset, lets be real, it's just been seriously bypassed by more modern groups. I still get plenty of customers that won't touch Sram and ask for the Saint groupset by model name as they simply can't let go of it. Why would shimano update a groupset that people already buy like some weird cult? Glad people are finally starting to talk shit.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 12:45 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Saint is a decent groupset, lets be real, it's just been seriously bypassed by more modern groups. I still get plenty of customers that won't touch Sram and ask for the Saint groupset by model name as they simply can't let go of it. Why would shimano update a groupset that people already buy like some weird cult? Glad people are finally starting to talk shit.

In all seriousness, up until the 12s generation I don't think there's much Shimano could have done to meaningfully improve the Saint group. From 10s to 11s, we got different BCDs to facilitate smaller rings (while DH bikes continue to run big boi rings), wider range cassettes (not necessary for DH), better chains (which are backwards compatible), and the same brakes with the same issues.

That said, I think Shimano MTB 12 has a lot of tech that could improve Saint. A narrow range HG+ cassette would probably shift ridiculously well, the brake levers would be marginally stiffer, and the 10t cassettes would enable slightly more compact rings/derailleurs.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 12:47 Quote
christiaan wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
christiaan wrote:

My thoughts... when will shimano finally step up and make a true dh groupset, a bit lighter too

Don’t need to fix something that is already amazing. And let’s just look at the saint brakes, miles ahead of the SRAM code/guide garbage...........STILL

Guess we’ll hear you coming then!

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 12:52 Quote
sosburn wrote:
christiaan wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:

Got them on several bikes, no noise... all about dialing in I guess

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
christiaan wrote:
sosburn wrote:
christiaan wrote:

Yeah, I don't get where this rep comes from. I've been running different Avid/Sram brakes on multiple bikes for 7 seasons now and never had a noisy brake.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 13:01 Quote
My guess is that it comes from people that don't understand that all brake pads can get contaminated - the can all squeal.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
crs-one wrote:
sherbet wrote:

In all seriousness, up until the 12s generation I don't think there's much Shimano could have done to meaningfully improve the Saint group. From 10s to 11s, we got different BCDs to facilitate smaller rings (while DH bikes continue to run big boi rings), wider range cassettes (not necessary for DH), better chains (which are backwards compatible), and the same brakes with the same issues.

That said, I think Shimano MTB 12 has a lot of tech that could improve Saint. A narrow range HG+ cassette would probably shift ridiculously well, the brake levers would be marginally stiffer, and the 10t cassettes would enable slightly more compact rings/derailleurs.

More modulation in the brake, lower weight especially on the crankset, or maybe lowering the retail price over the course of the 8 years. All would have been nice to see. You are right though, it's only a recent thing that Saint has really fallen behind. Shimano knows this and is working on a remedy.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 13:43 Quote
chriskneeland wrote:
christiaan wrote:
sosburn wrote:

Yeah, I don't get where this rep comes from. I've been running different Avid/Sram brakes on multiple bikes for 7 seasons now and never had a noisy brake.

It's the centerline rotors. They create weird air pockets that make noise or at least this is what I have been told.

That said, Shimano brakes are 100% louder and more consistently loud in my experience. Love watching Scottish enduro videos and being able to tell within 2 seconds if someone is running Shimano brakes and haven't cleaned the pistons in ages. They're oiled and need to be kept cleaned/oiled. Super easy source of contamination.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 14:07 Quote
christiaan wrote:
sosburn wrote:
christiaan wrote:

yeah i think its more of a set up issue than anything else. my shimano brakes have gotten wet and squeal just as loud.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 14:28 Quote
I’ve ran both SRAM and Saint brakes. Both can squeal. It’s not about the brake it’s about contamination.
That said when it came time to sell the ride I had the SRAM Ultimates on I was happy to see them go. Can’t speak about the new Codes.
I’m old school I guess, Saint brakes just work for me so I always run them. Updated version would be fine by me too.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 14:30 Quote
Sram Ultimate isn't a brake model. Level, Guide and Code are. Ultimate just states where in the hierarchy they reside.

A Level Ultimate isn't going to be up for most people's riding in here. A Guide or Code Ultimate? Probably the most well reviewed brake on the market currently.

You're right thought, and that attitude represents a LOT of our clients. They're use to how Shimano feel, and that is ultimately the biggest selling factor.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 14:33 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Sram Ultimate isn't a brake model. Level, Guide and Code are. Ultimate just states where in the hierarchy they reside.

A Level Ultimate isn't going to be up for most people's riding in here. A Guide or Code Ultimate? Probably the most well reviewed brake on the market currently.

You're right thought, and that attitude represents a LOT of our clients. They're use to how Shimano feel, and that is ultimately the biggest selling factor.

Sorry, Guide Ultimates you picky bastard. Lol
This was back in 2015 though so maybe they are better now. Haven’t went back.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
They're honestly waaaaay better. The old Guides were honestly a mess. Seizing, part failures, seeing dudes sitting there with ice packs on their levers. Sad shit. The new ones are in a different league entirely. We went from refusing to stock them to basically selling nothing but them.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 21:13 Quote
I would be surprised if we don't see an updated hyperglide/microspline Saint drivetrain in the not too distant future. It has too much practical application for DH not to.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011836
Mobile Version of Website