The Specialized Stumpjumper FSR EVO thread

PB Forum :: Specialized
The Specialized Stumpjumper FSR EVO thread
Author Message
Posted: Dec 6, 2015 at 18:26 Quote
maccasparks wrote:
2015 Expert 29 got a slight creak in the headset area when landing slightly front first or braking hard on rough stuff. Have checked headset - no play. Any hot tips?

Maybe the same problem I have on my stumpjumper comp 29, the @#$% fork! .
I'm now on my third rockshox revelation, today was my first ride and guess what, it creaks!.

the first one had a little creak since new, but in a couple of months began to creak a lot. replaced under warranty for a new fork (it was the CSU) because the CSU was unavailable as a replacement.
the second fork started to creak after 2 rides, i'm not a fat guy, I don't jump, I choose my lines very carefully.
the third fork was my original fork with the CSU replaced.

A friend of mine had the same issue, two forks, the second also creaks!.

the first fork: https://youtu.be/UvnlzrqAv3s
https://youtu.be/4x2MVbKZphs

the third fork: https://youtu.be/e8FEy6xLG5c

my friend's fork: https://youtu.be/vjNLTGbORDE

Posted: Dec 7, 2015 at 16:56 Quote
Tocomotion wrote:
maccasparks wrote:
2015 Expert 29 got a slight creak in the headset area when landing slightly front first or braking hard on rough stuff. Have checked headset - no play. Any hot tips?

Maybe the same problem I have on my stumpjumper comp 29, the @#$% fork! .
I'm now on my third rockshox revelation, today was my first ride and guess what, it creaks!.

the first one had a little creak since new, but in a couple of months began to creak a lot. replaced under warranty for a new fork (it was the CSU) because the CSU was unavailable as a replacement.
the second fork started to creak after 2 rides, i'm not a fat guy, I don't jump, I choose my lines very carefully.
the third fork was my original fork with the CSU replaced.

A friend of mine had the same issue, two forks, the second also creaks!.

the first fork: https://youtu.be/UvnlzrqAv3s
https://youtu.be/4x2MVbKZphs

the third fork: https://youtu.be/e8FEy6xLG5c

my friend's fork: https://youtu.be/vjNLTGbORDE



Nice tip - but don't think its the fork. I tried swinging on lowers with bike upside down and wheel off , no creak.

I did notice however the lower cup integrated in the headtube feels a bit out . Going to take it back to local Specialized store next week to see if they can sort. Not overly confident though as they assembled the bike after a warranty frame replacement - can't recall if the old one creaked.

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 at 6:28 Quote
angel13 wrote:
fab0ne wrote:
Anybody traveled their RS Pike in a 2015' Stumpy Evo to 160mm ?
How was the improvement concerning BB High and feeling in rooty / blocked trail sections? (less ground contact?)

Cheers

I did it on my 2013 stumpy and I love it do far. The extra BB clearance with shorter cranks at the same time worked wonders for me.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
I will check efforts to travel the PIKE.

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 at 23:48 Quote
maccasparks wrote:
Tocomotion wrote:
maccasparks wrote:
2015 Expert 29 got a slight creak in the headset area when landing slightly front first or braking hard on rough stuff. Have checked headset - no play. Any hot tips?

Maybe the same problem I have on my stumpjumper comp 29, the @#$% fork! .
I'm now on my third rockshox revelation, today was my first ride and guess what, it creaks!.

the first one had a little creak since new, but in a couple of months began to creak a lot. replaced under warranty for a new fork (it was the CSU) because the CSU was unavailable as a replacement.
the second fork started to creak after 2 rides, i'm not a fat guy, I don't jump, I choose my lines very carefully.
the third fork was my original fork with the CSU replaced.

A friend of mine had the same issue, two forks, the second also creaks!.

the first fork: https://youtu.be/UvnlzrqAv3s
https://youtu.be/4x2MVbKZphs

the third fork: https://youtu.be/e8FEy6xLG5c

my friend's fork: https://youtu.be/vjNLTGbORDE



Nice tip - but don't think its the fork. I tried swinging on lowers with bike upside down and wheel off , no creak.

I did notice however the lower cup integrated in the headtube feels a bit out . Going to take it back to local Specialized store next week to see if they can sort. Not overly confident though as they assembled the bike after a warranty frame replacement - can't recall if the old one creaked.

Turns out it is the fork. LBS changed headset bearings - no change. Swapped out fork - no noise!
Sounds like its something internal though not the crown or steerer but will know more when they send it away.

Posted: Dec 18, 2015 at 5:26 Quote
my first fork failed at the crown/stanchions, the second one had the noise in the bushings inside the fork, so that maybe the case with your fork.

now in my third fork, no noise from crown nor bushings.. but from the headset bearings now, Madder

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 at 11:52 Quote
has anyone tried putting a 650b fork on a 26" evo? if so, any good?

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 9:21 Quote
kinlodesigns wrote:
has anyone tried putting a 650b fork on a 26" evo? if so, any good?

I'm interested in this idea too...

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 8:54 Quote
Correction. It is the fork. Crown/stanchions Again!.

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 at 0:16 Quote
I haven't sent mine in yet - been on holiday in between jobs so riding more than usual. Still works fine just annoying noise. Will send in back next week (still under warranty)

Posted: Feb 18, 2016 at 1:57 Quote
Got Pike back today. New C.S.U. - silence at last!
Very happy - no cost

Posted: Feb 20, 2016 at 20:40 Quote
I just purchased a 2011 Evo Expert. Looks like it is kinda a 1 year deal with all changes to the 2012 and newer models. Anyone have info on this frame and compatibility with the newer frames. Are the 2012 rear shocks able to fit this frame and are there any swingarms that would fit so I can have the 142 x 12. Any info on the 2011 Evo Expert would be appreciated.

Posted: Feb 20, 2016 at 21:42 Quote
kinlodesigns wrote:
has anyone tried putting a 650b fork on a 26" evo? if so, any good?

I put a 650b pike on mine at 160mm. I personally found something didn't feel right, not sure if it was the offset with the head angle or maybe it was to high in the front. looked fine though. maybe a 150mm fork would be better suited.

Posted: Feb 21, 2016 at 4:45 Quote
djdrail wrote:
kinlodesigns wrote:
has anyone tried putting a 650b fork on a 26" evo? if so, any good?

I'm interested in this idea too...

Facepalm

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 15:51 Quote
donch15 wrote:
djdrail wrote:
kinlodesigns wrote:
has anyone tried putting a 650b fork on a 26" evo? if so, any good?

I'm interested in this idea too...

Facepalm

Don't be shy donch15... tell us what you really think...

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 19:51 Quote
djdrail wrote:
donch15 wrote:
djdrail wrote:


I'm interested in this idea too...

Facepalm

Don't be shy donch15... tell us what you really think...

He's got a point. The huge disadvantage of the discombobulated geometry would far outweigh the slight traction/rolling advantage of the front wheel on that setup, and thats assuming that you plan to get a 650b front wheel in addition to the fork. With all these 26" parts being sold so cheap nowadays, why get a 650b fork for a 26" bike?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006798
Mobile Version of Website