The Specialized Stumpjumper FSR EVO thread

PB Forum :: Specialized
The Specialized Stumpjumper FSR EVO thread
Posted: Jan 23, 2017 at 9:33 Quote
Mitsuoka wrote:
nightfox wrote:
Got this rare beast out of the box, super low fat.. size M (as in the photo), anyone guess the exact model?

Regular SWorks from 2014?

It ain't EVO thread for nothing.

toomanyandy wrote:
nightfox wrote:
Got this rare beast out of the box, super low fat.. size M (as in the photo), anyone guess the exact model?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sworks-stumpjumper-fsr-evo/50739
^ What he said. 2014 FSR EVO stumpjumper sworks.

Your link is for the 26" version, hehe. That page is also partially broken for some reason.

I have the 29er version: https://www.specialized.com/il/en/bike-archive/2014/stumpjumper-fsr/sworks-stumpjumper-fsr-evo-29/50740

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 1:05 Quote
2015 Stumpy Evo Expert 29 has developed an annoying rattle when ridden over rough ground. I have replaced wheel bearings , bottom bracket and all 13 suspension bearings but it is slowly getting worse - fells and sounds like its suspension related but you know how noises can travel. Also have put foam around internal dropper cable and rear mech cable in chain stay. Starting to lean towards the CTD internals so next step is to send this away.
Have been in touch with Shockcraft NZ who I have found very good and they highly doubt its the shock bush as the later model FSR only move a few degrees , unlike my earlier Stumpys that had the bush in the lower link that didn't last too long.
Anyone got any ideas?

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 6:46 Quote
Have you checked your headset?

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 0:10 Quote
Meyercord wrote:

Yep - all looks good.
Took to bike shop (our local spesh shop closed down) and he rung Fox Distributor , Blue Shark who said it was possible for air to get where it shouldn't and could cause rattle that would slowly get worse.
Have sent shock to them for service.

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 23:17 Quote
maccasparks wrote:
Meyercord wrote:

Yep - all looks good.
Took to bike shop (our local spesh shop closed down) and he rung Fox Distributor , Blue Shark who said it was possible for air to get where it shouldn't and could cause rattle that would slowly get worse.
Have sent shock to them for service.

Rattle Fixed - CTD Boost Valve rear shock service did the trick. No details what was wrong but super stoked that it's sorted

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 12:49 Quote
Hi all,
I have a 2012 Stumpjumper Evo, and I'm looking to upgrade my rear shock from the stock fox kashima ctd to a newer shock, but I'm thinking of buying the aftermarket yoke to fit a different size shock on it. Any experiences with the aftermarket yoke, and what shock would work with the bike the best?

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 14:01 Quote
thelocojuan wrote:
Hi all,
I have a 2012 Stumpjumper Evo, and I'm looking to upgrade my rear shock from the stock fox kashima ctd to a newer shock, but I'm thinking of buying the aftermarket yoke to fit a different size shock on it. Any experiences with the aftermarket yoke, and what shock would work with the bike the best?

I'd go easy on different shock sizes and not change too much, if anything. You have a 197x47 shock iirc and the next best configuration that doesn't lose you travel is 200x50.
That 3mm shock stroke will give you an estimated (someone more adept at calculating may give you a more accurate number) 5-8mm of extra travel which is about as far as i'd push things so as not to risk frame failure.
I don't know if all shocks come in that length/stroke, the next step i believe is 200x57. That would be a +20% increase in stroke, i wouldn't do it.

I went the plug-and-play route with the Monarch+ and i didn't regret it once. Great shock, tune set up for the frame, it's hard to fault really.

/2c

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 17:25 Quote
Thanks! I ended up buying the Monarch+ as well. So far so good, never thought I would go back to a rockshox shock. It feels fantastic on the bike.
wowbagger wrote:
thelocojuan wrote:
Hi all,

I'd go easy on different shock sizes and not change too much, if anything. You have a 197x47 shock iirc and the next best configuration that doesn't lose you travel is 200x50.
That 3mm shock stroke will give you an estimated (someone more adept at calculating may give you a more accurate number) 5-8mm of extra travel which is about as far as i'd push things so as not to risk frame failure.
I don't know if all shocks come in that length/stroke, the next step i believe is 200x57. That would be a +20% increase in stroke, i wouldn't do it.

I went the plug-and-play route with the Monarch+ and i didn't regret it once. Great shock, tune set up for the frame, it's hard to fault really.

/2c

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 6:35 Quote
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of upgrading my stock fork RS Revelation 150 on my Stumpjumper Evo 26" 2014 with a 27,5" Pike 160.
a2c on the 26" Revs is 429 and on the 27,5" Pike 160 is 452. I would still use 26" front wheel. a2c on 26" Pike 160 is 442.
The change in HT angle would be around 1° with a 27,5 Pike and around 0,6° with a 26" Pike. I like the idea of a 1° change but I'm not sure if there are any other changes that I need to consider. There is also a small difference in the trail and wheelbase but it is all around 2-5mm and 7-10mm. BB drop would change quite a bit but but BB height would increase. What do you think?
Thanks and kind regards,
Uros

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 7:33 Quote
I'm thinking on reducing the Pike on my Evo from 140 to 120/130.. anyone tried that? frame travel is 135. I figure shorter travel upfront might be the odd case, but can it cause any damage or put me out of warranty?

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 7:26 Quote
Urossoukup wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of upgrading my stock fork RS Revelation 150 on my Stumpjumper Evo 26" 2014 with a 27,5" Pike 160.
a2c on the 26" Revs is 429 and on the 27,5" Pike 160 is 452. I would still use 26" front wheel. a2c on 26" Pike 160 is 442.
The change in HT angle would be around 1° with a 27,5 Pike and around 0,6° with a 26" Pike. I like the idea of a 1° change but I'm not sure if there are any other changes that I need to consider. There is also a small difference in the trail and wheelbase but it is all around 2-5mm and 7-10mm. BB drop would change quite a bit but but BB height would increase. What do you think?
Thanks and kind regards,
Uros

If you use a 27.5 fork and a 26 wheel you are going to change the handling characteristics because there is more offset on a 27.5 fork than on a 26, and the increased offset will lower the bikes trail. if you use a 26 fork it will have a shorter offset. however, the change in offset might be cancelled out by the slacker head angle but it would be better to use a 26 fork and angle set headset cups to slacken the head angle 1°

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 7:46 Quote
also does anyone know if a 2013 26 evo link will make a geo change to the 2013 29 evo? if so does anyone have one?

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 9:50 Quote
I have a dual 27.5 Pike (130/160mm) on my 2014 Stumpy Evo 26 with 26" wheels and the 10mm race. Love it!

TheSlayer99 wrote:
Urossoukup wrote:
Hi guys,
Thanks and kind regards,
Uros

If you use a 27.5 fork and a 26 wheel you are going to change the handling characteristics because there is more offset on a 27.5 fork than on a 26, and the increased offset will lower the bikes trail. if you use a 26 fork it will have a shorter offset. however, the change in offset might be cancelled out by the slacker head angle but it would be better to use a 26 fork and angle set headset cups to slacken the head angle 1°

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 2:24 Quote
nightfox wrote:
I'm thinking on reducing the Pike on my Evo from 140 to 120/130.. anyone tried that? frame travel is 135. I figure shorter travel upfront might be the odd case, but can it cause any damage or put me out of warranty?

Specialized's warranty goes void if you increase/decrease travel by more than 10% so if original fork travel is 140 then it's 14mm up or down you can go without losing warranty.

However, reducing travel will steepen your headangle and lower your BB. That means (potentially) a more nervous handling and more pedal strikes. Keep that in mind.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010451
Mobile Version of Website