SNOWBOARDERS, general discussion

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
SNOWBOARDERS, general discussion
Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 16:25 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
al9595 wrote:
Considering the amount of bmx parts I've gone through I'm surprised at how little snowboard stuff I've cycled through. I guess the season takes less time out of the year ... currently on a RIDE Antic, perfect all around board for me and going to ride it until i can't any longer, absolutely love it. I think I liked my RIDE kink a little more, but that was unfortunately during a growth spurt for me so I bought it at 147.. no bueno when I grew to 6'1"

I pretty much only replace one thing a year. Bindings one year. Board the next. Boots after that. Etc. So essentially get new shit ever 3-4 years. Got Burton Ions this year. Was gonna get a board but they all sold out. I'm ordering a pair of goggles tomorrow. Probably a couple pairs of gloves. Got some new base layers this year. Might try and swoop on some pants. Next year I'll do a board, a jacket, a helmet. Essentially do one big thing and 2-3 smaller things.

Generally speaking my gear holds up for a long time. But last winter I blew through 2 pairs of goggles, a pair of boots and jacked a board up pretty bad in the span of 2 days on my CO/UT trip. Boots blew out the last day of the trip. I was pissed. Fortunately the upper zone still worked and it was a pow day.

dude I hate that just blew out my lower zone on my burton motos

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 17:44 Quote
FrozenTreads56 wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
al9595 wrote:
Considering the amount of bmx parts I've gone through I'm surprised at how little snowboard stuff I've cycled through. I guess the season takes less time out of the year ... currently on a RIDE Antic, perfect all around board for me and going to ride it until i can't any longer, absolutely love it. I think I liked my RIDE kink a little more, but that was unfortunately during a growth spurt for me so I bought it at 147.. no bueno when I grew to 6'1"

I pretty much only replace one thing a year. Bindings one year. Board the next. Boots after that. Etc. So essentially get new shit ever 3-4 years. Got Burton Ions this year. Was gonna get a board but they all sold out. I'm ordering a pair of goggles tomorrow. Probably a couple pairs of gloves. Got some new base layers this year. Might try and swoop on some pants. Next year I'll do a board, a jacket, a helmet. Essentially do one big thing and 2-3 smaller things.

Generally speaking my gear holds up for a long time. But last winter I blew through 2 pairs of goggles, a pair of boots and jacked a board up pretty bad in the span of 2 days on my CO/UT trip. Boots blew out the last day of the trip. I was pissed. Fortunately the upper zone still worked and it was a pow day.

dude I hate that just blew out my lower zone on my burton motos

Honestly... I'm starting to feel like I made a mistake going with the Ions. I had a pair a while back when they were still standard lace and they were amazing. I'm already having issues with these. Zones getting stuck. Zones slipping. A weird spot on the bottom of the tongue that bashes into the top of my back foot. Etc. I have a feeling the boot structure is going to be durable as hell but the lace system is going to give out again. I don't have much faith in them so far and for a $500 pair of boots I should.

I'm going to look into either going back to standard laces or giving dual boa another shot. I have a pair of Vans Fargo's that are brand new from a while back that didn't quite fit my foot right. I really don't want to add these to my pretty much new boots that don't quite do it for me list. LOL!

Gonna heat the shit out of them and try to really set it to my foot. We'll see. Stiff as shit too. Super responsive. My ankles don't hurt at the end of the day for the first time in a long time.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 18:12 Quote
obee1 wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
obee1 wrote:

waddya do for a living again?

Probably different since we talked last. I've been with a different company for the last 2 years. I do packaging design and production. Die lines. Art. Etc. Illustration when needed. Marketing material when needed. Catalogs. Organize and manage photo shoots. Etc.

I'll drop you a PM on for who. Rather it not be public. LOL!

so many cool people on this site. army have you done any of the graphics on any of your boards? I did these ones a long time ago....

photo

photo

ive made a skateboard or two as well.

These are sick! Nice work Obee! Salute

I'm stoked for Burton's release coming soon.
New Step-In bindings look promising. Only thing you have to get new boots as well. I don't mind though, I own 2 pairs of Burton boots (Freestyle and SLX), both of which are amazing. Comfy, warm, stiff, and stylish.

Should pair well with my Lib-tech Banana Magic...

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 18:19 Quote
Yeah that new Burton system in interesting. I personally don't like being locked into a set that is locked into itself.

What if the boots suck? What if they phase out the technology and your boots wear out and you need a new pair and they don't make them anymore? Etc.

There's a reason this technology has been tried time and time again and doesn't stick. But burton loves to have things that only they're doing... so it might work. And this particular set up looks pretty legit.

I personally don't see myself going that route.

I run 2-3 complete set ups. Some days when I hit the hill I'll bring 2 boards and I don't want to have to take shit part. Beyond that... my brother and I switch boards sometimes and we wouldn't be able to do that. When I travel I bring 2 full set ups. Etc.

No way in hell I'm investing essentially $1200 to have two set ups. It's insane.

For the average person you're talking about a $700 investment and that's not the top end boot option. If you're buying all new shit anyways... o.k. But for most folks they're not doing that very often.

Usually it's one or two of those 3 pieces. Not all 3. Toss a board into the mix and you're talking about $12-1400 for that set up... which may or may not stick around.

I have been following SIA though. Some interesting stuff coming out. Never Summers shape series has my curiousity right now. And the new Giro lens.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 19:09 Quote
Have Burton addressed the issues old step ins had like packing full of ice or getting super sloppy when the boot packs out?

I think the most potential for a step in system would be something similar to DIN binding that integrates with a regular binding.

Kinda like those apex ski boots.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 19:48 Quote
Not much info on it yet, just seen short vids on youboob. So far, the "unbiased" riders say they are awesome. Set up is supposed to be more responsive, lighter, and less pressure points on your foot (no straps, obviously). I'm definitely gonna guinea pig those things for sure.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 20:41 Quote
fredro wrote:
Not much info on it yet, just seen short vids on youboob. So far, the "unbiased" riders say they are awesome. Set up is supposed to be more responsive, lighter, and less pressure points on your foot (no straps, obviously). I'm definitely gonna guinea pig those things for sure.

one of the guys in that video is the guy that designed them...

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 20:46 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Have Burton addressed the issues old step ins had like packing full of ice or getting super sloppy when the boot packs out?

I think the most potential for a step in system would be something similar to DIN binding that integrates with a regular binding.

Kinda like those apex ski boots.

They have a pretty clever heal hook and double toe retention on the front sides of the boot/bindings. It's a smart design but to me it's gonna have the same issues they always have.

ice build up.
lack of adjustment
high entry price
very small list to choose from as far as options go
etc etc

But Burton has a nack for being stubborn and making these stick. Like the 3 hole instead of 4 hole mounting options. And now the channel system... though that's pretty dope.

I honestly think it's gonna perform just fine. The bigger issues to it's survival is industry adoption, entry cost and if people are willing to do this all over again. Fortunately for them most of the people that bought in to it last time and delt with all the b.s. are old now and their kids have no clue. LOL!

Posted: Jan 28, 2017 at 13:48 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
burton loves to have things that only they're doing....
This has always been my beef with burton. Hey have made a bunch of cool stuff but it only works if you own all of there gear. Like you said about the 3 hole mounting system and and slider mounting system now. Sure there is the odd adapter plate and some of these inventions might end up changing snowboarding completely but for a hobbiest and a poor one at that the option to mix and match spare parts, even straps and buckles from almost every brand is the main reason I stay away from burton

Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 21:17 Quote
Nobble wrote:

doesn't that happen with all step-ins?

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 3:44 Quote
hi,

i'm in Australia and considering some late spring boarding (with my Mrs who skis) in nth America over the last half of April.

i'm having trouble finding any good report sites and something that includes a long term forecasts or a season outlook to help cement the decision. I thought I'd see if my Pink Bike mates could help Salute

we're looking at Banff or Mammon in Cali (providing Trump stays Australia friendly). Colorado, is right on the limit of our range. Tahoe, doesn't look to have an overly long season even if Heavenly has the altitude.

I'm an advanced intermediate, mrs is an advanced beginner

thoughts?
sites I should check out?

thanks in advance Beer tup

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 6:53 Quote
Jim are you referring to Banff Alberta? I'm just asking based on your reference to a "range limit". If so, it's been a great season and all the mtns are reporting good conditions. By choosing Banff, there are lots of resorts within a reasonable drive, and lots of multi resort ski passes available. And if you get homesick, no worries mate, every liftee out here is Aussie! Hahaha. But seriously, every liftee is Aussie.
Lemme know if you are serious about Banff. There's a few lads here who can point you right.

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 9:38 Quote
FrozenTreads56 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

doesn't that happen with all step-ins?

Sure does. But your straps are adjustable. With step ins there's no adjustment. It engages or it doesn't.

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 9:42 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
hi,

i'm in Australia and considering some late spring boarding (with my Mrs who skis) in nth America over the last half of April.

i'm having trouble finding any good report sites and something that includes a long term forecasts or a season outlook to help cement the decision. I thought I'd see if my Pink Bike mates could help Salute

we're looking at Banff or Mammon in Cali (providing Trump stays Australia friendly). Colorado, is right on the limit of our range. Tahoe, doesn't look to have an overly long season even if Heavenly has the altitude.

I'm an advanced intermediate, mrs is an advanced beginner

thoughts?
sites I should check out?

thanks in advance Beer tup

Australia isn't blowing up shit all over the world. I think you're fine.

As for spring. Depends on State. If you're coming to California I'd suggest Mammoth. They've been getting absolutely smashed on all year. They've got a massive base. They'll continue to catch snow through March and probably in April. And they'll be open... my guess is they'll be open until the July 4th weekend.

If you're look at Tahoe you should be fine in April. I'd probably do Squaw/Alpine.

Oregon. Wash. New Mexico. Wyoming. Utah. Colorado. Any of those are safe bets to still be getting snow in April and all are setting snow records this year. Jacksonhole got over 20 feet this month.

Let me know what state and what you're looking for and I'll let you know. When I travel to resorts I don't necessarily hit the big ones. I find the smaller ones have a vibe I'm more comfortable with and are usually much much cheaper. Meaning I can usually ride an extra day. LOL!

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 9:44 Quote
obee1 wrote:
Jim are you referring to Banff Alberta? I'm just asking based on your reference to a "range limit". If so, it's been a great season and all the mtns are reporting good conditions. By choosing Banff, there are lots of resorts within a reasonable drive, and lots of multi resort ski passes available. And if you get homesick, no worries mate, every liftee out here is Aussie! Hahaha. But seriously, every liftee is Aussie.
Lemme know if you are serious about Banff. There's a few lads here who can point you right.

Range limits... he's talking about weather reports I think. Most weather resorts don't get out that far. Honestly though... even the ones that do are not accurate.

I'd just book the trip and cross your fingers. More than likely you'll be riding spring conditions... aka warm. aka get a cup of coffee or a bloody mary in the morning. Ride hard with no breaks from 10 to 2. Then go back to the bar for a beer and go home because the snow is mash potatoes. But weather will be good and some resorts will have some really good late morning corn to ride. But this year is reminding me of what it was like 20 years ago... I wouldn't be surprised if you go early to mid April if you get lucky and catch a decent 12 inch storm.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027355
Mobile Version of Website