What is wrong with my bike

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
What is wrong with my bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 5, 2012 at 14:02 Quote
I bought a WTP Justice 2010 as a starter BMX off my mate for £120, very good condition, it is well used though, as the back tire was badly worn he bought a new one, Maxxis Ringworm 1.95" and this was very thin as apposed to the front tire which is a Salt Pitch Raw 2.25", so I put this on the back as I like to have a thicker tire on the back than on front, anyway While doing this I also decided to clean the back cassette, chain, front sprocket and a general clean. Anyway when I reinstalled the wheels and got back on my bike and now when I pedal it makes a very bad noise which I presume is coming from the chain, back wheel or sprocket, it happens when the chain is put under pressure (pedaling), it didn't do this before I chained the tires, how can I stop it, it's extremely annoying.

Posted: Nov 5, 2012 at 14:57 Quote
You might have pulled the back wheel back too far to the chain has pressure on it? Make sure everything is tightened up again as something may have come loose

Posted: Nov 5, 2012 at 15:07 Quote
If you cleaned any parts that were greased ie bearings or inside the cassette make sure they are greased up the way they were before. And like the other guy said make sure the chain isn't too tight or worn out.

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 9:06 Quote
I've regreased/lubed the chain, I've used several different lengths of the back wheel, originally the chain was very slack, so I even tried to put back to the slack position it was in, if you do a bunny hop, the chain hits the chainstays. I'll have a poch about later with it, see if the noise will go.

My friend has said it happens when the chain is under pressure. It's as if the cassette clicks forward.

Also a side question, I currently have an apprenticeship with a large welding/fabrication company, and my boss said I could powder coat my bike free of charge, I'm getting the headset/stem. handlebars and forks coated back to gloss black, what colour will match black and blue rims, as I hate the colour of the frame which is a odd looking browny colour.

Cheers Smile

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 9:57 Quote
Your hub could be skipping? And maybe a red frame?

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 10:46 Quote
you might of over tightened the cones

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 13:08 Quote
I haven't done anything to the cones, the bike sounded lovely when I had it, which was a few days ago, changed tyres around, now it sound like a cronk of a bike. I'll try adjusting the cones.

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 14:10 Quote
walshy155 wrote:
I haven't done anything to the cones, the bike sounded lovely when I had it, which was a few days ago, changed tyres around, now it sound like a cronk of a bike. I'll try adjusting the cones.

Well you said you took the casette out and cleaned it. Most stock bikes come with cones on their hubs so you must of had to take it off then put it on again, when i cleaned my casette for the first time, i done my cones up to tight and my wheel barly moved and made a terrible noise

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 14:15 Quote
I didn't take the cassette off fully, just gave it a good clean, and also I've inspected the chain and it seems that either the chain is bent or the sprocket teeth are worn/some bent.

Is there any way I can pin point what is making the noise?

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 14:16 Quote
trial and error, try different things and see if it stops

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 14:29 Quote
There is a crack on the inside of the chain.

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 14:32 Quote
Haha yeah you might have put the sprocket on the wrong part

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 14:35 Quote
? I haven't done anything wrong I assume, but there's a crack on the inside link of my chain. Looks like I'll have to buy one for £9 at halfrauds.

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 14:38 Quote
Take a picture and post on your page

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 14:42 Quote
I don't have my usb cable for my camera, or a card reader.

I can use this to try explain.

photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012303
Mobile Version of Website