Winter windbreaker

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Winter windbreaker
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 7, 2012 at 18:56 Quote
HI,

I've recently moved to Toronto and i need to get some better winter riding gear. I've worn my down jacket which keeps me nice and warm on my commute but by the time i get to work i'm sweating and i don't like the idea of having to wash that jacket.

Does anyone have any recommendations on wind breakers that are up to canadian temperatures (-20oC). I had a look in one store and saw prices of $400. And while i'm prepared to spend some money i don't think i can stomach that much, but at the same time the jacket will be useless if it doesn't cut the wind/cold.

Is there an agreement on the best winter windbreaker? should i just get any gortex wind breaker i can find?

thanks

orfeo

Posted: Nov 7, 2012 at 19:49 Quote
Layers are good. They let you choose just how much you need for any given condition. A lot of my stuff is Fox, from before Aurora Action Sport closed. I've also got 4 Nike pieces that I use as extra layers when it's cold. I got them at National Sports, they were cheap.

A pair of tights under baggies, or over lycra shorts helps take the edge off when it's cold, but not REALLY cold. When it gets really cold, it's lycra shorts, tights, and a $10 pair of Walmart track pants I tapered so they're snug all the way to the ankles. I picked up some nice ski pants last winter, but haven't had the chance to use them yet.

Up top, long sleeve base layer and a summer jersey when it's cool. Long sleeve base and a fleece jacket when it's between 2 and -5 or so. I put on the windbreaker shell when it gets colder, or is rainy or somewhat cold but windy.

Long sleeve base, fleece, windbreaker shell and tights are all Nike stuff from National Sports, spent about $120 for all 4 pieces a few years ago.

Posted: Nov 8, 2012 at 9:02 Quote
If this winter is anything like last winter you wont have to worry about -20c.

My suggestion is what nickboers just said. Layer up. On cold days I would wear a long sleeve undershirt with a summer jersey on top plus a light waterproof jacket that I picked up from my LBS. It blocked most of the wind and the layers did the rest.

Down below I would have my padded liner under a pair of tights, mostly because the tights were rather airy in the crotch, with a pair of baggies over top. And on my head I wore a skull cap under my helmet.

If you are looking for a good jacket either check your LBS or go to an outdoors store like Mountain Equipment Co-op or Sail and see what they have on offer.

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 at 10:33 Quote
MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op, mec.ca) is down at Spadina & King right downtown, easily worth the trip just to check out the store! They have cycling-specific gear and general outdoor gear. I bought a Gore-Tex Windstopper jacket from them years ago, it's perfect for cycling as the Gore-Tex cuts the wind and helps you stay warm. Windstopper just isn't full-on waterproof.

$400 is crazy, shop around...

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/MensClothing.jsp

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008973
Mobile Version of Website