Religion and Faith: ask questions and comment about God, Jesus etc..

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
Religion and Faith: ask questions and comment about God, Jesus etc..
O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 8:07 Quote
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:
But I'm not talking about differences in other religions.
I'm talking about the fact the story in which Jesus was based on,was actually told well before there was such a person.
It has been regurgitated over a few thousand years.
Do the research Trey ,and not just take the word of your religious peers.
Look these stories up for yourself and,see for yourself.
Don't make the mistake of many Christians and stick your fingers in your ears when someone has viable and feasible facts .
It's all there.

It's not how it works though. I'm not just regurgitating everything Sunday school taught me. Of course everybody is skeptical of it all at some point. It is a truly crazy story! But reading the Bible will give you a decent amount of information about the story of Jesus. I have to disagree with you on that last part. No offense mate, but many people do stick their fingers in their ears when somebody is telling them about Christ. All the feasible facts are in the Bible. The New Testament was written by disciples, second and first person accounts with Jesus.

The story has been regurgitated over and over again.Before there was a guy called jesus
This is what I'm saying Trey,so reading the bible will not give me the story of jesus exclusively.It will give me another example of a story that has been told many times before.
In other words,the story you read in the bible has been stolen from other sources.
And what I mean by sticking fingers in ears is,when presented with a fact like I have given,people don't look into it themselves.Even just to prove me wrong.
They don't do their own research,thus glossing over the issue with "It's all in the bible".It wouldn't be in the bible in the first place if it was not for the same story coming from other religions and civilisations that predate jesus.
No offence Trey,but I'm not sure what part you don't get.
A lot of Christians know absolutely jackshit about where their brand of christianity manifested from.
Or,as a great example.If I was to ask a christian how jesus died.The stock answer would be "On the cross silly"
Wrong!!!,he was nailed to a tree.

Then I would like to hear about what you are saying above. Can you explain some for me?

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 9:33 Quote
What do you need explained Trey ?
It's black and white,the story of your saviour has been plagiarised.
Would you like an example from the many pre jesus deity's ?
Ok.Let's take Krishna.
Born without a sexual union,by "mental transmission" from the mind of Vasuveda into the womb of Devaki,his mother.
Christ and Krishna were both called God and the Son of God.Both were sent from heaven in the form of a man.Both were called Saviour,and the second person of the Trinity.Krishna's adoptive father was also a carpenter.A spirit or ghost was their actual father.Krishna and Jesus were both of Royal descent.Both were visited by Wise men and shepherds,guided by a star.Angels warned in both cases that a local dictator planned to kill them,and ordered their assasination.Mary and Joseph stayed in Muturea,Krishna's stayed in Mathura.Both withdrew to the wilderness as adults,and fasted.Both were identified as the "seed of the woman bruising the serpents head".Jesus was called "the lion of the tribe of Judah".Krishna was called "the lion of the tribe of Saki".Both claimed "I am the Ressurection".Both were without sin.Both were god men:considered both human and divine.Both performed miracles,healing the diseased.One of their first miracles was to make a leper "whole " again.Both cured "all manner of diseases".Both cast out indwelling demons,and raised the dead.
Both had disciples to spread their teachings.Both were meek and merciful.Both were critcised for associating with sinners.Both celebrated last suppers.Both forgave their enemies.Both were crucified,and both were resurrected.

So there you are Trey,just one of many examples.It's a wall of text,but you did ask me to explain.
Should you choose to ignore it,that's up to you.Blind faith is common.
But bear in mind,Krishna predates Jesus by several hundred years.
Remarkable similarities eh ?.
As I said,look these things up yourself,I already have the knowledge that christianity is made up of different earlier religions.Even paganism.
I don't do other peoples homework,but it's all there and it's easily found.
You might want to look up Emperor Constantine and The Council of Nicea while you are at it.
Give you a taster of where modern Christianity came from.
But you might have a fingers in ears moment

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 10:14 Quote
As I said,look these things up yourself,I already have the knowledge that christianity is made up of different earlier religions.Even paganism.
You might want to look up Emperor Constantine and The Council of Nicea while you are at it.

Pretty much all modern faiths, atheism and anti-theism included, are evolutions of other faiths. The problem is, once again, that what we know as "Christianity", "Catholicism", "Atheism"...etc bare almost no resemblance to the faiths they started out as. Once again, it's the followers and not the faith that are the problem.

What I, and probably Trey, would like to know, is - what is YOUR point? What are you actually trying to say here? You haven't actually made any points of your own, so far you have simply rebutted others' statements.

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 10:30 Quote
TheRaven wrote:

Pretty much all modern faiths, atheism and anti-theism included, are evolutions of other faiths. The problem is, once again, that what we know as "Christianity", "Catholicism", "Atheism"...etc bare almost no resemblance to the faiths they started out as. Once again, it's the followers and not the faith that are the problem.

What I, and probably Trey, would like to know, is - what is YOUR point? What are you actually trying to say here? You haven't actually made any points of your own, so far you have simply rebutted others' statements.

My point is the Bible is a plagiarised story,and plagiarised religion.That was the only point in the first place.
If you already have the knowledge that christianity has evolved from earlier faiths,then why declare it as the "one true faith"
And to suggest Atheism as a faith.
Eh,what ?
It's not even a belief,it's rational thought.
And after all the to ing and froe ing,nobody has answered the original question.
Why has the story of jesus been done many times before,before he even existed.?
If no one knows the answer,then just say so.Not a problem.
Just don't come out with "it's all in the bible".
Because that was my point in the first place,there would be no story of jesus in the first place,but for regurgitated stories.
The brainwashed don't want to listen to other angles.
"it's in the bible,so it must be true"
Sheesh

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 11:34 Quote
My point is the Bible is a plagiarised story,and plagiarised religion.That was the only point in the first place.

Plagiarism is pushing it. Just like modern popular songs can bear uncanny resemblence to classics, their slight variations make them different, just as the bible's account of Jesus not being EXACTLY like the stories before it makes it not plagiarised. And plagiarised religion? Really? I just got done saying that all modern faiths are evolutions of their origins. That doesn't make them plagiarised either.

If you already have the knowledge that christianity has evolved from earlier faiths,then why declare it as the "one true faith"

Pretty much every faith declares itself as the "one true faith". You are doing it right now with atheism.

Eh,what ?

Yup, it's a faith alright. Descended from Jainism, Carvaka, and Buddhism. Most notorious as the Communist faith because some of it's most high profile followers were Communists and Fascists. Funny how atheists denounce christianity because over the years it's followers have lead war campaigns against non-followers while some of history's most notorious oppressors were atheists and tried to use force to spread their faith in the same way.

Just like Christianity, the true ideals and values of Atheism have been completely lost. The modern atheist has no idea what the word even means. They think it means "bashing christians". The truth is that there's another word for that - Trolling. Most modern atheists are actually trolls.

And after all the to ing and froe ing,nobody has answered the original question.

Seems like a rather elementary question to me that any modern educated man could figure out for himself. It's already been discussed in this thread a couple times. It's a good story. It's a story that gives hope, and promotes good. Without a supreme being or deity, what do we have? We are born, live a meaningless life, then cease to exist for eternity? What's the point then? I don't see what's so terrible about believing in a purpose.

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 12:03 Quote
TheRaven wrote:

Plagiarism is pushing it. Just like modern popular songs can bear uncanny resemblence to classics, their slight variations make them different, just as the bible's account of Jesus not being EXACTLY like the stories before it makes it not plagiarised. And plagiarised religion? Really? I just got done saying that all modern faiths are evolutions of their origins. That doesn't make them plagiarised either.

Pretty much every faith declares itself as the "one truth faith". You are doing it right now with atheism.

Eh,what ?

Yup, it's a faith alright. Descended from Jainism, Carvaka, and Buddhism. Most notorious as the Communist faith because some of it's most high profile followers were Communists and Fascists. Funny how atheists denounce christianity because over the years it's followers have lead war campaigns against non-followers while some of history's most notorious oppressors were atheists and tried to use force to spread their faith in the same way.

Just like Christianity, the true ideals and values of Atheism have been completely lost. The modern atheist has no idea what the word even means. They think it means "bashing christians". The truth is that there's another word for that - Trolling. Most modern atheists are actually trolls.

Seems like a rather elementary question to me that any modern educated man could figure out for himself. It's already been discussed in this thread a couple times. It's a good story. It's a story that gives hope, and promotes good. Without a supreme being or deity, what do we have? We are born, live a meaningless life, then cease to exist for eternity? What's the point then? I don't see what's so terrible about believing in a purpose.

Same story,different characters.
Atheists don't have a doctrine,and they do not meet up to discuss not believing in gods.
Because there is no such thing to discuss.We have no set of rules in which to follow.
There is no Atheist deity,so how can it be a faith in something ?.
We don't have an Atheist bible in which to preach to other atheist "followers.
So,no not a faith.
And to suggest it is a tool for Dictators,c'mon.
The Christian church have killed many people worldwide over centuries to get their message across.
Ask South America about that,or read up about the Spanish Inquisition.
Or the churches who burned people at the stake or drowned them in the name of god.
Just in case they looked like a witch or warlock.
So basically you are saying atheists are Communist fascists who could be,would be tyrannical dictators ?
That we follow these people, like you follow jeebus ?
LMFAO.
Ok,you win.You have found us out.The secret orginisation of atheists has been laid bare.
The jesus story is totally original,and the earth is only a few thousand years old.
Now I understand

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 12:16 Quote
Same story,different characters.

And thus, not "plagiarised". So we agree there.

Atheists don't have a doctrine,and they do not meet up to discuss not believing in gods.
Because there is no such thing to discuss.We have no set of rules in which to follow.
There is no Atheist deity,so how can it be a faith in something ?.
We don't have an Atheist bible in which to preach to other atheist "followers.
So,no not a faith.
And to suggest it is a tool for Dictators,c'mon.

Faith does not require belief in "deities". Faith is simply something you believe in without knowing. You believe in the absence of deities. That there is no "God". That's a faith, my friend.

That aside, Atheism is a faith by it's definitions and origins. You need to do some homework of your own. Start with Jainism and Carvaka. These are the origins of the Atheist faith. You come in here telling Christians that they need to study up and understand their faith while you do not understand your own.

The Christian church have killed many people worldwide over centuries to get their message across.
Ask South America about that,or read up about the Spanish Inquisition.

Yup, as have Communist and Fascists leaders whom the Atheist faith has, at times in the past, held in high regard.

Same thing.

So basically you are saying atheists are Communist fascists who could be,would be tyrannical dictators ?
That we follow these people, like you follow jeebus ?

That is not correct. I simply pointed out the truth that Atheism is no different than the faiths that it sets out to destroy. It's just yet another example as one faith trying to establish itself as truth.

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 12:55 Quote
But god is a word,nothing more.
It is a word made by religion,to describe their entity.
So for an atheist to use that word does not equate to believing in something,thus faith in nothing
We use that word to identify with the religious.

Anyway,when was the last time you ever heard an atheist describing themselves as a Jainist,or studying the ways of Carvaka ?
None that I know of.
There are no doctrines of Jainism or Carvaka to teach.
I mean,what did they teach ?.It would be a very short book.
"there is no deities" "The End"

Maybe I only speak for myself then,I have no faith.I don't read books to teach myself no faith.
We will agree to disagree eh?
You have yours,and I have none

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 13:43 Quote
So for an atheist to use that word does not equate to believing in something,thus faith in nothing

That's the reason I put the word God in quotes. It's one example, the most common example. But what I said was that the Atheist faith preaches the absence of deities. Doesn't have to be THE God, doesn't even have to be A God.

Anyway,when was the last time you ever heard an atheist describing themselves as a Jainist,or studying the ways of Carvaka ?

Never, and that's the problem. People label themselves as Atheists and don't even know what that means. Then they come in here and attempt to lecture Christians on the Christian faith. Sound familiar?

What i'm getting at here is that you were being very hypocritical in your exchanges with Trey. That's one of the reasons I jumped in. I'm not here to defend Christianity. I have no interest there. I'm tired of "Atheists" pushing their faith on me. You don't believe in God? Cool. I respect that. I do believe in God, so respect THAT. I'm not going to start quoting the bible, so don't start bashing the bible...etc.

There most certainly are "teachings" of Jainism. Read up on it. It's interesting stuff, just like the bible and history of the "Holy Lands" are. If you are going to engage in intelligent discussions about your faith and the faiths of others, at least know the truth about your faith. Don't want to? Then don't wedge yourself into these discussions. You can be just like the millions of clueless Christians out there who are NOT commenting here.

This isn't all just aimed at you, of course. The problem is that you have perpetuated the stereotype of the modern Atheist. The modern atheist is not actually an atheist. They are an anti-theist. That's very different, and still a faith. In reality, the only true Atheists left are Buddhists. Maybe you want to look into Buddhism so you can disconnect yourself from the idiots.

See the reality of it is is that to be human, you must have faith. No one is without faith, whether they realize it or not. Just saying "I don't believe in God" or even "I don't believe in the presence of ANY deity" does not make you a man without faith. You still believe in so many things you can't prove. So how can you claim to be any smarter than a man of any other faith?

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 14:14 Quote
TheRaven wrote:

That's the reason I put the word God in quotes. It's one example, the most common example. But what I said was that the Atheist faith preaches the absence of deities. Doesn't have to be THE God, doesn't even have to be A God.

Never, and that's the problem. People label themselves as Atheists and don't even know what that means. Then they come in here and attempt to lecture Christians on the Christian faith. Sound familiar?

What i'm getting at here is that you were being very hypocritical in your exchanges with Trey. That's one of the reasons I jumped in. I'm not here to defend Christianity. I have no interest there. I'm tired of "Atheists" pushing their faith on me. You don't believe in God? Cool. I respect that. I do believe in God, so respect THAT. I'm not going to start quoting the bible, so don't start bashing the bible...etc.

There most certainly are "teachings" of Jainism. Read up on it. It's interesting stuff, just like the bible and history of the "Holy Lands" are. If you are going to engage in intelligent discussions about your faith and the faiths of others, at least know the truth about your faith. Don't want to? Then don't wedge yourself into these discussions. You can be just like the millions of clueless Christians out there who are NOT commenting here.

This isn't all just aimed at you, of course. The problem is that you have perpetuated the stereotype of the modern Atheism. The modern atheist is not actually an atheist. They are an anti-theist. That's very different, and still a faith. In reality, the only true Atheists left are Buddhists. Maybe you want to look into Buddhism so you can disconnect yourself from the idiots.

See the reality of it is is that to be human, you must have faith. No one is without faith, whether they realize it or not. Just saying "I don't believe in God" or even "I don't believe in the presence of ANY deity" does not make you a man without faith. You still believe in so many things you can't prove. So how can you claim to be any smarter than a man of any other faith?

I was not attacking Trey,I asked a question which was not answered but glossed over.
It was not answered.Maybe if it was by way of "I don't know",or "well here is why that has happened" with a detailed explanation of why the story had been told before the inception of jesus many times.
It was only a question,which still has not been answered.Simply because no one has looked into it,even to prove me wrong.
I would accept I'm wrong.
You say we agree that it was not plagiarised,because I put it in simple terms "Same story,different characters"
Not so,it was stolen from other religious fables,much in the same way jesus birth is given as the exact same date as the pagan winter solstice.And Easter,the summer solstice.
Even you can't disagree with that,surely ?
Instead,my intelligence has been questioned,when my intelligence has helped me discover the very things that lead me to be a non believer.
I would never pass myself off as intelligent anyway,I'm a Turner/Miller for any's sake.
What do I know ?
But thank you for pointing out the whole Jainism thing,I will be sure to read up on that.
Very interesting indeed

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 14:27 Quote
Oh,and I will not regard myself as an Atheist.
Would Non Believer In Anything be more accurate ?
You say every man has faith,sure they do.
I have faith in my partner,my son and my family.
The evidence of them is there in front of me, and very very real.
I don't think I'll be taking the word of Bronze Age writings as evidence though.
No offence

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 14:28 Quote
I was not attacking Trey,I asked a question which was not answered but glossed over.
It was not answered.Maybe if it was by way of "I don't know",or "well here is why that has happened" with a detailed explanation of why the story had been told before the inception of jesus many times.
It was only a question,which still has not been answered.Simply because no one has looked into it,even to prove me wrong.

You most certainly did attack. You accused him of not knowing his own religion. As if somehow Trey not knowing his own religion discredits that entire religion. You went several posts with nothing but attacks on his knowledge of his own religion. It wasn't until I intervened and pressed you for your point that you actually presented it.

The question, as you have posed it, has no answer. No one can answer that. Why? Because we don't know for sure that the subject of the question - the origin of this overriding "story" you present, is really what you, or anyone, claim it is. You don't know that the story existed before Jesus any more than Trey knows it didn't. You believe what you are told by books of science just as Trey believes what he is told by a book of faith.

See?

You say we agree that it was not plagiarised,because I put it in simple terms "Same story,different characters"
Not so,it was stolen from other religious fables,much in the same way jesus birth is given as the exact same date as the pagan winter solstice.And Easter,the summer solstice.

"Same story,different characters" is not plagiarisation. Add to that, you don't know the timeline. You believe there were similiar stories beforehand because you have been told.

You are still arguing that your own beliefs are superior to another man's beliefs.

Instead,my intelligence has been questioned,when my intelligence has helped me discover the very things that lead me to be a non believer.

If you are going to discuss religion, politics, or race on the internet, you had better be prepared to have your intelligence questioned.

Besides, I never questioned your intelligence. I questioned the way in which you have presented yourself. Is your presentation unintelligent? Maybe. But maybe it's all part of an act...maybe you are two steps ahead of me and ready to blow me away with some huge revelation. I don't know.

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 14:36 Quote
TheRaven wrote:

You most certainly did attack. You accused him of not knowing his own religion. As if somehow Trey not knowing his own religion discredits that entire religion. You went several posts with nothing but attacks on his knowledge of his own religion. It wasn't until I intervened and pressed you for your point that you actually presented it.

The question, as you have posed it, has no answer. No one can answer that. Why? Because we don't know for sure that the subject of the question - the origin of this overriding "story" you present, is really what you, or anyone, claim it is. You don't know that the story existed before Jesus any more than Trey knows it didn't. You believe what you are told by books of science just as Trey believes what he is told by a book of faith.

See?

"Same story,different characters" is not plagiarisation. Add to that, you don't know the timeline. You believe there were similiar stories beforehand because you have been told.

You are still arguing that your own beliefs are superior to another man's beliefs.

If you are going to discuss religion, politics, or race on the internet, you had better be prepared to have your intelligence questioned.

Besides, I never questioned your intelligence. I questioned the way in which you have presented yourself. Is your presentation unintelligent? Maybe. But maybe it's all part of an act...maybe you are two steps ahead of me and ready to blow me away with some huge revelation. I don't know.

Why,did no one write before christianity ?
There are ancient texts that were written before the bible with the same story.It really is as simple as that.
There are ancient writings in physical form,what more do you want ?
And for you "Jumping in" to save the day.Oh yes,very noble.
Stop making yourself out to be the learned voice of reason.
You might get nailed to a tree by an roman

As for the There is no answer,that's a stock answer for everything christians can't explain

I'm still waiting for the "revelation" from christians that will undeniably make me say.Wow,you guys are right.
Theres Jesus right there
Not gonna happen

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 19:26 Quote
Why,did no one write before christianity ?
There are ancient texts that were written before the bible with the same story.It really is as simple as that.
There are ancient writings in physical form,what more do you want ?

But how do you know this? You don't. You are getting this information from books of science. Who's to say they are any more accurate than books of faith? No one. I will note that would probably side with you in this argument, but that's just another opinion. The fact of the matter is, the texts in which you get your information are no more reliable than the bible itself. Both were written by humans about past events.

And for you "Jumping in" to save the day.Oh yes,very noble.
Stop making yourself out to be the learned voice of reason.
You might get nailed to a tree by an roman

I am by no means perfect. If you have been reading my replies you should see that I have largely tried to avoid interjecting my own opinions as much as possible. I came into this as a third party and as such I don't think my own opinions are relevant.

As for the There is no answer,that's a stock answer for everything christians can't explain

Really? I thought you said "it's all in the bible" was the stock christian answer?

I'm still waiting for the "revelation" from christians that will undeniably make me say.Wow,you guys are right.
Theres Jesus right there
Not gonna happen

You are right, it's not going to happen. For two reasons. First - that's why it's called faith. The belief in something you can't prove. We cannot prove that God does or does not exist. Therefore any systems of belief involving either case will be debated until the return of the son, or the meteor (whichever you prefer). Second - even in the presence of overwhelming evidence or proof, you likely wouldn't see it. Humans tend to see what they want to see. Just as followers of "divine" faiths want their belief in a higher power to be validated, you want your belief in the absence of said power to be validated. Thus you will interpret what you see to fit what you believe.

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 19:48 Quote
Oh,and I will not regard myself as an Atheist.
Would Non Believer In Anything be more accurate ?
You say every man has faith,sure they do.
I have faith in my partner,my son and my family.
The evidence of them is there in front of me, and very very real.
I don't think I'll be taking the word of Bronze Age writings as evidence though.
No offence

Sorry I completely missed this post. I guess you posted it while I was typing one of my posts.

Non-believer works, but you could also be an example of a TRUE Atheist. To remind those like myself that the original spirit of Atheism has not been completely lost. This is why I suggested looking into Buddhism. Buddhism descended from the roots of Atheism and is the only surviving faith that, in my opinion, actually resembles true Atheism. Those people calling themselves "atheists" and suing to get religious symbols off of public property, and the words "under god" removed from the pledge of allegiance, and the words "in god we trust" removed from US currency, those are the people giving you a bad name. They are anti-theists, or perhaps more accurately defined as trolls. Why not provide a bit of a counterbalance to those idiots? Ever hear of a Buddhist complaining about other religions? You won't, because they don't recognize religion and as such couldn't possibly be offended by it. Just as you said, "god" is just a word to you, so how could it be offensive? I imagine you fully agree with this so i'm going to shut up now and leave it at that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021112
Mobile Version of Website