Megavalanche - needs tips on brakes, rotor size etc.

PB Forum :: Downhill
Megavalanche - needs tips on brakes, rotor size etc.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 14:31 Quote
Im going to be doing the Megavalanche this coming summer, and will be using my Cove shocker, but i know I'll need to buy some decent brakes as they are, to be blunt, shit. not too bothered about how much, just not stupidly expensive.

Also, anyone done it here? curious as to what its like.

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 5:47 Quote
well not me!

But! If you want some stupid large braking power, get an 8 pot Gatorbrake.

However the new(ish) Hope Moto V2 is designed for long alpine descents and has a vented rotor for 15% more heat displacement, so i think that would be your best bet.

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 5:55 Quote
In 2006 I did the mega with hayes hfx mags with 8' rotors. In 2007 I went back and did it with the same brakes, the levers were touching grips most of the way. They were screwed.

On the qualifer run, there's about 30 switchbacks in row all winding down a mountain with steep drops to the side, that's when the brakes get most use and it is a really challenging section which seems to go on forever. (Of course the fact that you're being caught up by faster riders/catching up slower riders doesnt make it any easier).

Next year I'm going to get some formulas because I've heard they're good. But 8' rotors are essential for heat-dissipation as the brakes get HOT. Through the wooded sections the air can stink of chemicals from all the burning brakes.

But of course if you're an amazing rider, then this could all be pointless advice as you wont need the brakes so often!

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 14:58 Quote
i rode 2 weeks morzine this year on Moto V2's with the solid rotors no problems, the vented rotors will probably work out better for the race but in general riding the solids are fine.

HFX 9's will be good for the run but will def need a good bleading at the bottom and new pads

i say DONT SIT ON YOUR BREAKS lol that way you'll be fine

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 23:23 Quote
the vented hopes would probably be ideal

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014643
Mobile Version of Website