Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 9:43 Quote
its fun but carrying around a 40lb bag hurts after a while. just look forward to heating a can of chicken soup when its 30 degrees out.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 9:18 Quote
I'm into hiking, really enjoy a multi day hike.

I also really enjoy mountain biking.

I think bikepacking does a good job of giving you the worst of both and makes the whole thing a huge faff.

The mountain biking sucks because you have a 40+lb bag and your arse hurts. You need to set your bike up different so you don't have 60% sag and that's makes your bike ride weird because you have 220psi in your shock. You have to carry a bunch of tools, tubes, pumps, spare chain etc for the bike so it's even heavier than it would normally be.

Climbs are a bitch because you're weighed down bigly. Descents aren't as good for the same reason.

It also makes the camping worse because you're worried about your bike all the time when you're in your tent.

Also a lot of the joy of hiking is that it forces you to go slow, take everything in and be in the moment. When you're riding you're normally so focused on what you're doing you don't really take it in (in my experience at least).

I think it would be better if you had a bike specially for the job. If you had a hardtail fatbike with loads of on the bike storage you might get around some of this, and maybe if you had cabins or hostels you were riding between (so you didn't need as much stuff) the biking would be a better idea.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 10:10 Quote
I'd tend to agree with that.

Over the years,I've been biking all over Europe.
To have a good time, I've found there are a few rules that needs to be observed.

1) Travel light, as in real light! A couple of sets of bike clothes, minimal toiletries, a spare tube, and a proper multitool.

2) Plan reasonably manageable day trips, or at best no plan at all. Simply look for accomodation as it gets closer to evening.

3) Forget about tents and camping, as the equipment required for that, is against rule #1

4) Don't test on race day. Make sure the bike is serviced AND! has had a reasonable test ride, well in advance of the day of departure.

5) Bring both cash and 2 different credit cards, as you never know if you run into a farm or whatever, where you need to pay cash for staying.
If the shit hits the fan, a credit card will sort just about any situation.

These days I mostly go touring with my girlfriend, but the above also works for larger groups, or when riding alone. I've toured a lot alone, and never really gotten in trouble. Sometimes it got expensive, as in real expensive, but that's it.

I usually give my girlfrind an additional advice:
Look at photos from the place you intend to go. Are the people you see in the pics dressed?
If yes, there are probably shops selling clothes and all sorts of other stuff there abouts, so just bring what you know you'll need, and buy the rest as you go along.

She was struggling a bit with that one, but has learned to enjoy, not having to carry half a metric ton of stuff.

Magura Smile

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
I love backpacking and bikepacking sounds like a lot of fun to me. I’m about to spend a couple nights out at Mt. McLoughlin splitboarding. Will be interesting as it’s my first time.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
More importantly, have you ever seen a frozen fart?

photo

Now you have

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 15:13 Quote
The 90s called, they want their womans seat back

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
Are you saying, that we can conclude it's a frozen female fart?

Magura Smile

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 1:59 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
More importantly, have you ever seen a frozen fart?

Now you have

must be minus 25 over there lol.

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:31 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
Are you saying, that we can conclude it's a frozen female fart?

Magura Smile

Ahah ahaha ha ha!

But from which hole...?

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:51 Quote
That's hard for me to say, given the black background.

Magura Smile

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 11:18 Quote
Entered an enduro today. What have I let myself in for lol

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
why is it that mountain bikers are always saying “howdy”??
i took my brother’s dog for a hike this morning and passed about 15 guys on bikes, and all except one of them said howdy. no wonder people hate bikers around here

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 11:39 Quote
abennett219 wrote:
Entered an enduro today. What have I let myself in for lol

Which one?

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
sosburn wrote:
why is it that mountain bikers are always saying “howdy”??
i took my brother’s dog for a hike this morning and passed about 15 guys on bikes, and all except one of them said howdy. no wonder people hate bikers around here

Bikes, Beer Dogs, Flannels

associate flannels with the west and PNW, nobody doesnt say Howdy out here pardner.

thats the best i can explain.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.625270
Mobile Version of Website