Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 1:08 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
You jammy git

lol lol i dont get it

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 5:54 Quote
$150 for that fork is unbelievable.

Twice or 3 times that amount would still be cheap.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 7:33 Quote
Wale wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
Wale wrote:

Same here

im gonna keep this build with local parts, new stuff that ive never had

Sounds great! My Pole has nothing but the brands I just listed above. I changed the stem and bars already though. The Steele stem is just so pretty and unique. Also I'm waiting for Magura MT5's.

how do you like the Pole in terms of suspension? how is it climbing/descending?
been looking at a stamina 140 but hard to justify without any reviews online and unable to demo one in the states

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 7:59 Quote
Marino HT
Marino HT
Marino HT
Marino HT

Look at this pig pageant show.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 8:11 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Marino HT
Marino HT
Marino HT
Marino HT

I honestly really like this, If I could get a ss version of this, I would.
Kinda off topic, does anyone have experience with a kona unit, or surly karate monkey? Or is there a better ss mtb option still available?

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
SS and rigid is pretty stupid on an MTB imo.

Have sold plenty of Kona Units. Great bike really, but fairly portly. If I was offroad bikepacking, it'd be a great option, but otherwise would look at a huge host of other frames.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Marino HT
Marino HT
Marino HT
Marino HT

I love that color combo

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 8:34 Quote
krattAtak wrote:
Kinda off topic, does anyone have experience with a kona unit, or surly karate monkey? Or is there a better ss mtb option still available?

You could get an SS version of this and it'd probably be cheaper than the Kona - it's a Marino so he'll build whatever you want, and offers horizontal or sliding dropouts as standard options IIRC. My total spend on this (excluding the Ti bars that I stole from my fully) was £1100 ish with the SDG dropper, Turbines, XTR mech/shifter etc, so it compares pretty favourably with the Unit X at £1450 in the UK with fixed post, SX drivetrain etc Wink

Sherb's right on the portly thing though. This beast weighs 31.1lbs lol
He might also be right about the rigid thing, but I wanted to try it. The fork was only $100 and designed to roughly mirror the A2C of a sagged 130mm Pike, so if rigid sucks I'll throw a squishy fork on it and it should make a pretty good trail bike.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 12:04 Quote
sosburn wrote:
Wale wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:

im gonna keep this build with local parts, new stuff that ive never had

Sounds great! My Pole has nothing but the brands I just listed above. I changed the stem and bars already though. The Steele stem is just so pretty and unique. Also I'm waiting for Magura MT5's.

been looking at a stamina 140 but hard to justify without any reviews online and unable to demo one in the states

I've got the EXT and it feels super nice! Pedaling feels efficient and it shines on rough stuff. I feel like I'm not the best person to evaluate suspension performance though. I actually wrote a mini review for Ninja after a week on the bike and could also send it to you via PM if you want to. Just to sum it up: climbing feels very effortless due to the steep SA and descending on this bike is very confidence inspiring. It's the most stable bike I've ridden. Haven't had a chance to take it out on proper enduro/DH trails though.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
krattAtak wrote:

You could get an SS version of this and it'd probably be cheaper than the Kona - it's a Marino so he'll build whatever you want, and offers horizontal or sliding dropouts as standard options IIRC. My total spend on this (excluding the Ti bars that I stole from my fully) was £1100 ish with the SDG dropper, Turbines, XTR mech/shifter etc, so it compares pretty favourably with the Unit X at £1450 in the UK with fixed post, SX drivetrain etc Wink

He might also be right about the rigid thing, but I wanted to try it. The fork was only $100 and designed to roughly mirror the A2C of a sagged 130mm Pike, so if rigid sucks I'll throw a squishy fork on it and it should make a pretty good trail bike.

The process with Marino was pretty painless? Definitely a big consideration for me whenever I can get a new ride. 130mm 29er hardtail from him would be awesome.

And for the record, I do really like the bike, but you know how it goes.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
OneBanana wrote:
krattAtak wrote:

The process with Marino was pretty painless? Definitely a big consideration for me whenever I can get a new ride. 130mm 29er hardtail from him would be awesome.

I actually placed an order on the website a while ago. Banana, how long it took for you to get the draft?

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 12:39 Quote
Wale wrote:
sosburn wrote:
Wale wrote:

I've got the EXT and it feels super nice! Pedaling feels efficient and it shines on rough stuff. I feel like I'm not the best person to evaluate suspension performance though. I actually wrote a mini review for Ninja after a week on the bike and could also send it to you via PM if you want to. Just to sum it up: climbing feels very effortless due to the steep SA and descending on this bike is very confidence inspiring. It's the most stable bike I've ridden. Haven't had a chance to take it out on proper enduro/DH trails though.

yeah if you wouldn't mind PMing me that, that would be awesome Salute

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
Wale wrote:
StUone7 wrote:

I actually placed an order on the website a while ago. Banana, how long it took for you to get the draft?

Marino purchase was easy - super responsive to emails, sent multiple drafts to illustrate different options etc.
Took three days from first email to first draft, but I think it would have been quicker if I'd reached out on Facebook (which I don't use) or Insta, which I used to chase him up as I think the initial emails from the website go to a different inbox to his own account.

(@wale if you still haven't heard by Monday evening then PM him on Insta or Faceballs just to let him know you've ordered)

He sent progress updates during the build, the first being the HT engraving which was only a few days after I'd paid the deposit IIRC.
I think the total build time was about eight weeks, but that's only because I think he forgot that I'd ordered the forks, and he got on that straight away once reminded - would have been a couple of weeks quicker otherwise. I get the impression he's pretty busy though.

Only issue was alignment of the forks - didn't space correctly to align the brake mount. Again he was very responsive on that and it only took a while to sort because I'd already dropped the bike at the LBS I use and it's a one-man operation, so bike was in the UK, LBS owner was surfing in Bali, and I was working in Germany. In the end it was resolved by the LBS, so far from the end of the world, and I'd have no worries about Marino sorting it if that hadn't worked out.
Frame itself was absolutely fine, to the extent that the LBS still doesn't believe what I paid for it Wink

(Note to the LBS guys here - my LBS doesn't sell bikes, he's a one-man show that earns 100% of his income from wrenching and gets all of my business Wink )

I'd 100% buy another frame from him based on the experience with this one.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.044040
Mobile Version of Website