Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 16:01 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
I get where you’re coming from I think Sherby

Although it is real hard watching big Corporate / businesses take over and destroy for capital gain

Yet surely the people buying these products from those Co.s should no doubt be more informed as to what destruction their fancy new material possession causes to make a sensible (hopefully) choice

Anyway it’s now early Sat morn here and I’m bonking on the bed so gonna hit up some zzzzzzzzzz

Problem is, the average person has been taught not to care thought decades of manipulative media outlets. There's still a massive portion of the population that believes these emissions are not damaging at all, and are causing no harm. People get to those conclusions due to what they're taught, and frankly, the media is by and large to blame for that.

Sleep tight dude.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:
Not doing a google search for you is not to deflect, but rather it is to assume I'm debating with a reasonably intelligent person.

This is where I stop. You bring up a statement. I ask you to verify, and you somehow use that as a pawn to insult someone's intelligence. I wanted to make sure I was reading the same information as you, but yet, you felt the need to bring your ego and arrogance even into someone asking for clarification. You're not here to try to inform anyone, literally everything you post is some shitty "gotchya" reply, and it's honestly tiring.

If you want to take on your own shitty stance of we can all make a difference, what you're doing here is literally the opposite. Try being the person you preach others to be.

Quite the contrary. I expect you to be of reasonable intelligence, thus I found no need to do something for you, that you could do yourself in less than 30 seconds.
That you can read an insult out of that, says a lot about your expectations.
For the record, I doubt anybody here is out to get you, but you're calling people names and get personal on regular basis, while being very thin skinned yourself.
That's not an ideal combination.
Really, I think you can safely assume that nobody here is out to get you, and act accordingly.

Magura Smile

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 18:01 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
iffy wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:

The sad part is that for 99.99% of the world population it stops right there.
Open any paper today, and it runs on repeat.

People raising concerns based on very little footwork > people finding a scape goat to point fingers at due to concerns > expose said scape goat to the mob > scape goat suffers the public anger for a while > nobody offers a viable solution > concern is slowly replaced by new concern > rinse repeat.

Magura Smile

this is changing, if you believe what you read in the papers and have a defeatist attitude its a personal choice and maybe a form of denial.

there is a mountain of evidence, the causes are known, the responsible are being charged with taking action, their resuslting inaction is leading to civil actions, the required solutions are not popular, but inaction is not being accepted or the issues forgotten, quite the opposite.

I don't know what you see being actually done that makes a difference. Personally I see politicians debating plastic bag pricing, as that's something most people think they understand, but actual action that makes a difference is at a bare minimum, as the solutions require that we all change a lot of things, and stop doing a lot of things we ar accustomed to.

I'd like to see what happened if a politician would put a 500% tax on all leisure related transportation, mulitiply the gas price by 10, charge people €5 per kg of trash they produce, and €50 pr m2 of water they spend.
World wide that is!
That would fix the issue on the spot, but very few are willing to live like that, so there are no votes to get, so it won't happen.

That's how willing the majority of the world are to fix the issue, and the reason they keep debating platic bags and straws.

The only alternative requires development, and since there's no money to be had, that moves forward at snail pace at best.

Magura Smile

Interesting thought experiment, but can I save you some pondering time (or googling time, as it has been pointed out that we're all short on that these days)

1. People would start doing a lot more research and family visits in vacation destinations.
2. Multiply the gas price by 10? You don't keep up with the news much, eh? Just google Iran. 280 dead already I think?
3. People will dispose of their garbage outside of government control to avoid the tax.
4. Now you're getting somewhere with the water tax. A flat tax wouldn't work- you'd decimate farming, cleaning, processing industries, crippling those already close to the poverty line in many countries. You also can't just flat tax all water because, well, duh. But a tax over a certain consumption level, like they did in South Africa in 2017, proved remarkably successful (a 45% drop in 'excessive water use').

5. Development requires money, money requires industry, industry isn't popular because it pollutes. Want more proof? Ask the worlds handsomest pipeline owner, Mr Trudeau!

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 18:39 Quote
Oh, also, new bike:

2020 Norco Sight.

a bunch of orange shit

Montucky Cold Snacks are amazing.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 18:49 Quote
dkidd wrote:
Oh, also, new bike:

2020 Norco Sight.

a bunch of orange shit

That’s hot, I’ll take one

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 20:31 Quote
What made you go with the X2 over the Super Deluxe DH?

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 20:45 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
What made you go with the X2 over the Super Deluxe DH?

Superdeluxe was awesome, this build just came with the Fox kit, and I though 'why not'?

I was running the volume more restricted than I would have liked on the SDDH, so hopefully I can run less spacers in the X2. Haven't taken this thing down anything big yet, so we'll see.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 1:35 Quote
sherbet wrote:

I think you're right to some extent about the responsibility being on individuals not being realistic or effective.

Obviously we all have to try to do our bit where we can. Some things are obvious - avoid flying, insulate your home, try to drive something efficient, drive less etc. Try to make environmentally conscious decisions when you shop etc but I think that most people, most of the time, don't have enough time or information to make truly informed decisions.

You can guess which might be better - local, recycled or second hand is likely to be better than not local, not recycled (or recyclable) and brand new.

But quite often when you're choosing between products online or in a shop there's carbon footprint you can't even see. The company I work for 2 days a week send everything out in cloth bags and cardboard - very recyclable and reusable and feel good - but we fill a skip every single week with non recyclable plastic. Plastic bags. Bubble wrap. Zip ties. The plastic you peel off of double sided tape. Clear tape. Pallet wrap. Etc etc. Our customers never see that. That shit is going in landfill probably.

We also market a lot as Made in the UK, so a lot of people probably feel real nice about the fact they're buying a European product - and to be fair they are all assembled in the UK and a lot of the big pieces are made in the UK. However a tonne of it is also parts we buy in, almost all of which is made in either Italy or China. Mostly China.

We also have super poorly insulated warehouse buildings. You can actually see daylight between the roof and the walls - and we heat that shit. We also open huge shutter doors to allow forklifts to enter. It's like 20 degrees C inside and 5 degrees C outside here atm, you can bet all the heat in the entire place leaves as soon as you open the huge ass door.

So there we have customers believing they're buying something locally made in all recyclable packaging - but actually half of it is from China and there's a tonne of plastic going into landfill still. Out heating bill must be a joke.

Then you factor in that even when there's a clearly superior option a lot of people either can't afford the better option or don't even give it a seconds thought.

Pretty depressing really.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 2:11 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
dkidd wrote:
Oh, also, new bike:

2020 Norco Sight.

a bunch of orange shit

That’s hot, I’ll take one

Well that is hot Drool

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 3:01 Quote
Love the yellow

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 3:11 Quote
God damn that's pretty.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 4:32 Quote
dkidd wrote:

Interesting thought experiment, but can I save you some pondering time (or googling time, as it has been pointed out that we're all short on that these days)

1. People would start doing a lot more research and family visits in vacation destinations.
2. Multiply the gas price by 10? You don't keep up with the news much, eh? Just google Iran. 280 dead already I think?
3. People will dispose of their garbage outside of government control to avoid the tax.
4. Now you're getting somewhere with the water tax. A flat tax wouldn't work- you'd decimate farming, cleaning, processing industries, crippling those already close to the poverty line in many countries. You also can't just flat tax all water because, well, duh. But a tax over a certain consumption level, like they did in South Africa in 2017, proved remarkably successful (a 45% drop in 'excessive water use').

5. Development requires money, money requires industry, industry isn't popular because it pollutes. Want more proof? Ask the worlds handsomest pipeline owner, Mr Trudeau!

You missed the part where I wrote that very few would be willing to live like that Wink

As for development = pollution and negative cash flow, that's not a universal truth.
I'm seeing development on everyday basis, where people actually manages to develop environmentally beneficial solutions, and save cost in the process.
The sad part is that most people give up without even trying, due to the teain of thought you describe in #5.

Magura Smile

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 4:34 Quote
tom666 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

I think you're right to some extent about the responsibility being on individuals not being realistic or effective.

Obviously we all have to try to do our bit where we can. Some things are obvious - avoid flying, insulate your home, try to drive something efficient, drive less etc. Try to make environmentally conscious decisions when you shop etc but I think that most people, most of the time, don't have enough time or information to make truly informed decisions.

You can guess which might be better - local, recycled or second hand is likely to be better than not local, not recycled (or recyclable) and brand new.

But quite often when you're choosing between products online or in a shop there's carbon footprint you can't even see. The company I work for 2 days a week send everything out in cloth bags and cardboard - very recyclable and reusable and feel good - but we fill a skip every single week with non recyclable plastic. Plastic bags. Bubble wrap. Zip ties. The plastic you peel off of double sided tape. Clear tape. Pallet wrap. Etc etc. Our customers never see that. That shit is going in landfill probably.

We also market a lot as Made in the UK, so a lot of people probably feel real nice about the fact they're buying a European product - and to be fair they are all assembled in the UK and a lot of the big pieces are made in the UK. However a tonne of it is also parts we buy in, almost all of which is made in either Italy or China. Mostly China.

We also have super poorly insulated warehouse buildings. You can actually see daylight between the roof and the walls - and we heat that shit. We also open huge shutter doors to allow forklifts to enter. It's like 20 degrees C inside and 5 degrees C outside here atm, you can bet all the heat in the entire place leaves as soon as you open the huge ass door.

So there we have customers believing they're buying something locally made in all recyclable packaging - but actually half of it is from China and there's a tonne of plastic going into landfill still. Out heating bill must be a joke.

Then you factor in that even when there's a clearly superior option a lot of people either can't afford the better option or don't even give it a seconds thought.

Pretty depressing really.

One way of fixing this, could be to demand carbon footprint declarations on the goods, just like there's a declaration of content.

Magura Smile

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 5:01 Quote
That is a good looking bike and bang up to date.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 5:27 Quote
All I know is I keep my carbon footprint to a steady below medium I BELIEVE

ALTHOUGH I am sure it is worse a footprint than I first had thought

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032163
Mobile Version of Website