Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
Author Message
Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 8:22 Quote
jespinal wrote:
I bring to you a new dilemma I have, I want to become a good listener, not just someone that sits and eats up all of someone's stuff.

Like when you meet someone that's charismatic and makes you feel welcome instsntly, when you leave said person you think "well gawddamn das a cool dude" I've been told I come off as arrogant sometimes and I want to improve on that

Just act like mr. Rogers.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
If this thread helped Jesp get laid it can do anything.

And f*ck what other people think. You be you

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 9:02 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
If this thread helped Jesp get laid it can do anything.

And f*ck what other people think. You be you

Wise words of truth

Actions speak volumes Jesp - be yourself and i have every faith you can become a bettterer you

:-)

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 9:02 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
sosburn wrote:

along with backcountry skiing, the same could be said about climbing Everest or K2, surfing mavericks, free soloing a 5.11, etc, why do something plenty of people have died trying when you could climb a safer mountain? I’d definitely consider climbing everest, while youd consider hitting that gap. Different levels of appeal for sure.

You're actually talking about really different kinds of risk there. Manageable risk vs unmanageable risk. Also you have to realize the difference between DIFFICULTY, EXPOSURE, CONSEQUENCE, AND RISK. Kilian Jornet has a really good post about it

That gap has a high exposure, high consequence, but the difficulty really depends on your skill on going fast and staying stable in the air.

-Free soloing can be made incredibly safe if the level you're climbing at is very much within your skill level and you're on solid rock without danger of rockfall from above. I've been in more objective danger being belayed on a 5.10 than I have freesoloing some 5.7's. High consequence, but can be LOW difficulty...kinda like driving

-Backcountry skiing can be just as safe as skiing in the resort. Or you can take usually safe, easy terrain and just by having a different snowpack it can kill you easily. Can be high or low consequence, can be high or low exposure, difficulty can be high or low

-The main danger of the majority* of Everest climbs is weather which can be somewhat unpredictable at those elevations but with modern forecasting that risk aspect has been really reduced. The other main ones are icefall and being held up by other parties. Now if you're talking about climbing without supplemental oxygen your fitness level becomes a huge part of the danger equation. Or climbing new routes then there is tons of other ones. Mostly low skill difficulty, can be done low consequence

-Surfing Mav's is actually the most risky activity you've called out. Every single wave is different so just catching the wave is somewhat of a roll of the dice. Then if you go down you have blunt force trama or drowning (from having your leash caught underwater, or being knocked out, multi wave hold down). High difficulty, high exposure, high consequence

Good post.

I always say that I like MTB because you largely control the risk and if you hurt yourself it's usually your own fault.


E.g. You can ride completely within your skill level on stuff you're familiar with and there's very little chance of you falling off. Conversely you can choose to go out and ride beyond your skill level, where you know there is good chance of hurting yourself. You can pad up appropriately.


Where as playing Rugby or American football - through no fault of your own shit can just happen. Some a*shole can tackle you badly, you can be unlucky with how you fall, you can get hit when you're not expecting it - etc etc. You don't control that.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 9:10 Quote
jespinal wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:
Dumb down the conversation, so everybody feel they can participate.
That'll give you a huge following of people of lesser intelligence, and with time you may even be able to use said horde, to scare off the triple digit IQ people on your way.
That way you can in the end avoid any stimulation, and simply switch off your brain.

Or you can keep things as they are, and stick to dealing with people you feel on par with, whom I doubt will consider you arrogant.

Magura Smile
that is a good advice

Although the horde seems tempting

It's much like posting on a technical forum.
If you surpass the level of the majority, you'll get a nice little shitstorm, as they get an injection of cognitive dissonance.
This is where you have a chance to find out who's got brains, and the rest will try to go after you as a person, given they have recognized they're too dumb to keep up with you on the topic.
The trick is to simply leave the frustrated people behind, and think nothing more of it.
.......not that my 25 y.o. self was able to do that, and even today I'm sometimes dumb enough to think that it's possible to have a debate with people who got hit by cognitive dissonance. It never was and never will be.

Magura Smile

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 9:29 Quote
jespinal wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
Jesp, you can search for answers for your life issues on the interwebs all day and get peoples opinions. Or you can see a counselor, which it sounds like you could take full advantage of.
It is more of a chat with people with greater experience than me in life, I've been bullshitting with these guys since 2012 on this particular thread and I consider them really close to me as I've posted most of by day to day bullshit here.

With that being said, and I think this is because I don't post as often here anymore, these guys know that you have to take what I say with a pinch of salt so that's why most of their "advice" has comedic value, and a but of common sense

Fair enough, I certainly get a good laugh from your episodes. Regardless counseling can be a good tool for anyone. Didn't mean any offense to you or anyone else here by saying that.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 9:31 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
jespinal wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:
Dumb down the conversation, so everybody feel they can participate.
That'll give you a huge following of people of lesser intelligence, and with time you may even be able to use said horde, to scare off the triple digit IQ people on your way.
That way you can in the end avoid any stimulation, and simply switch off your brain.

Or you can keep things as they are, and stick to dealing with people you feel on par with, whom I doubt will consider you arrogant.

Magura Smile
that is a good advice

Although the horde seems tempting

It's much like posting on a technical forum.
If you surpass the level of the majority, you'll get a nice little shitstorm, as they get an injection of cognitive dissonance.
This is where you have a chance to find out who's got brains, and the rest will try to go after you as a person, given they have recognized they're too dumb to keep up with you on the topic.
The trick is to simply leave the frustrated people behind, and think nothing more of it.
.......not that my 25 y.o. self was able to do that, and even today I'm sometimes dumb enough to think that it's possible to have a debate with people who got hit by cognitive dissonance. It never was and never will be.

Magura Smile
Its unfortunate that it's often the horde who will give you the best chance of learning something outside your own knowledge bubble; It'd be so easy otherwise.
I'd wager that challenging yourself with new opinions, and listening to the advice of everyone, not just those you assume are your intellectual peers, will end you with more friends and more knowledge.
Added bonus, spending time around people with emotional intelligence surpassing that of a crayon, you'll be exposed to the kinds of attitudes and social skills that you're striving for anyway- an additional chance to learn!

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 11:53 Quote
jespinal wrote:
I bring to you a new dilemma I have, I want to become a good listener, not just someone that sits and eats up all of someone's stuff.

Like when you meet someone that's charismatic and makes you feel welcome instsntly, when you leave said person you think "well gawddamn das a cool dude" I've been told I come off as arrogant sometimes and I want to improve on that

Im having to do that for the sake of my marriage. There is a whole myriad of issues but this is a personal biggie for me. My job requires me to talk most of the time, I was born into a talkative family that loves story telling and all sorts of stuff. People that really know me really know that I am not arrogant. I just love dynamic conversation but when your wife just needs someone to listen to her it doesn't work out well at all.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
jespinal wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
Jesp, you can search for answers for your life issues on the interwebs all day and get peoples opinions. Or you can see a counselor, which it sounds like you could take full advantage of.
It is more of a chat with people with greater experience than me in life, I've been bullshitting with these guys since 2012 on this particular thread and I consider them really close to me as I've posted most of by day to day bullshit here.

With that being said, and I think this is because I don't post as often here anymore, these guys know that you have to take what I say with a pinch of salt so that's why most of their "advice" has comedic value, and a but of common sense

Fair enough, I certainly get a good laugh from your episodes. Regardless counseling can be a good tool for anyone. Didn't mean any offense to you or anyone else here by saying that.
is all good fam

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
Asuhhdude wrote:
jespinal wrote:
I bring to you a new dilemma I have, I want to become a good listener, not just someone that sits and eats up all of someone's stuff.

Like when you meet someone that's charismatic and makes you feel welcome instsntly, when you leave said person you think "well gawddamn das a cool dude" I've been told I come off as arrogant sometimes and I want to improve on that

Im having to do that for the sake of my marriage. There is a whole myriad of issues but this is a personal biggie for me. My job requires me to talk most of the time, I was born into a talkative family that loves story telling and all sorts of stuff. People that really know me really know that I am not arrogant. I just love dynamic conversation but when your wife just needs someone to listen to her it doesn't work out well at all.

Just remember, no means yes and yes means anal.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 12:01 Quote
iffy wrote:
Asuhhdude wrote:
jespinal wrote:
I bring to you a new dilemma I have, I want to become a good listener, not just someone that sits and eats up all of someone's stuff.

Like when you meet someone that's charismatic and makes you feel welcome instsntly, when you leave said person you think "well gawddamn das a cool dude" I've been told I come off as arrogant sometimes and I want to improve on that

Im having to do that for the sake of my marriage. There is a whole myriad of issues but this is a personal biggie for me. My job requires me to talk most of the time, I was born into a talkative family that loves story telling and all sorts of stuff. People that really know me really know that I am not arrogant. I just love dynamic conversation but when your wife just needs someone to listen to her it doesn't work out well at all.

Just remember, no means yes and yes means anal.

Ill run that by her at our next counseling sesh. 10/10 great advice.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 12:12 Quote
and because science



Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 12:31 Quote
dkidd wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:
jespinal wrote:
that is a good advice

Although the horde seems tempting

It's much like posting on a technical forum.
If you surpass the level of the majority, you'll get a nice little shitstorm, as they get an injection of cognitive dissonance.
This is where you have a chance to find out who's got brains, and the rest will try to go after you as a person, given they have recognized they're too dumb to keep up with you on the topic.
The trick is to simply leave the frustrated people behind, and think nothing more of it.
.......not that my 25 y.o. self was able to do that, and even today I'm sometimes dumb enough to think that it's possible to have a debate with people who got hit by cognitive dissonance. It never was and never will be.

Magura Smile
Its unfortunate that it's often the horde who will give you the best chance of learning something outside your own knowledge bubble; It'd be so easy otherwise.
I'd wager that challenging yourself with new opinions, and listening to the advice of everyone, not just those you assume are your intellectual peers, will end you with more friends and more knowledge.
Added bonus, spending time around people with emotional intelligence surpassing that of a crayon, you'll be exposed to the kinds of attitudes and social skills that you're striving for anyway- an additional chance to learn!

It is actually pretty easy. Dumb down the conversation for social settings, and generally avoid topics everybody can't comprehend.
That the average person has anything to offer in regards to learning, is however very rarely the case. There's a reason why they never got anywhere. So for anything but social matters, their opinion about you is of little importance, and even there it makes no difference.
Very few people wanders outside their own social class, and I'd predict that within forseeable future Jesp is not sharing much with the average person.

Personally I love new informed opinions.
Sadly, most people can't be asked to inform themselves. They simply copy something they've seen on TV, or whatever is the most comfortable point of view.
A large part of the issues we have in the world today, simply wouldn't be there if people would inform themselves, and doing so has never been easier.

I'm well aware that the above ruffled some feathers, but it was Jesp that asked, and he happens to be above average intelligence, which inevitably will give such reactions as he had, unless he hides it real well, given where he currently is in life.


Magura Smile

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 12:34 Quote
iffy wrote:
and because science



Makes perfect sense.
What do you think divorce rate would be in the UK, if half of the guys were going in dry?


Magura Smile

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 12:34 Quote
jespinal wrote:
I bring to you a new dilemma I have, I want to become a good listener, not just someone that sits and eats up all of someone's stuff.

Like when you meet someone that's charismatic and makes you feel welcome instsntly, when you leave said person you think "well gawddamn das a cool dude" I've been told I come off as arrogant sometimes and I want to improve on that

It's all about empathy man. People can sense if you're just there nodding or if you're actually caring about what they're saying and giving the non verbal and verbal clues for it. I know it's something I've always tried to work on as someone who's very talkative (enough to get me in trouble at school) and can accidentally become a conversational narcissistic. And it definitely extends past just conversations. It can't be acquired overnight and takes years to break out of bad habits and develop good ones.


On the theme of working though personal shit.
I had to break up with my long term, long distance gf a number of months ago. It wasn't something either one of us wanted. Hell we'd talked seriously about getting married, but because of our lives and location choices it seemed like a real kobayashi maru to keep it going. I'm so f*cking tired of little things triggering memories of her and invoking depressive moods for me. As I'm working through this I'm trying to just "jump back on the horse" by getting back into the dating scene. But I'm really worried as well that if I do meet someone that's special, that I'm going to f*ck it up since I obviously have a lot to still work through.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.053273
Mobile Version of Website