Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 2:41 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
ratcat wrote:
Just throw your shoes in an old pillowcase and throw them in your regular dryer, when they're done, leave the door of the dryer open for an hour or so to let the smell of warm shoe dissipate.

As someone who designs shoes for a living. Don’t do that. You’re putting extra wear and heat into the shoe that’s not helping to dry it.

I can attest to that. We do that with our road shoes, and it sure cuts their lifespan short.
We do it anyway, as we wear them out so fast that they would be goners anyway, but our 5-10's would never get even close to the tumble dryer.

Magura Smile

Thanks for the heads up, I'll refrain from doing that with my only good shoes (my 510's funnily enough). Gonna keep doing it to my cheap ass £12 specials as I tend to blow through them in a couple months at best even when I don't dry them during the summer months.

Legit question though, are radiators just as damaging to shoes?

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 3:19 Quote
It depends what type of radiator you're talking about.
The ones heated with water in a central heating system, are rarely getting above 60C, so that's fine.
The electrical ones are getting way too hot.

For anything that has leather involved, like 5-10's, heating them in any way is a bad idea.
Use rice bags, or if you're in a pinch, newspaper is also helping but is more effort and slower.

Magura Smile

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 8:18 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
The ones heated with water in a central heating system, are rarely getting above 60C, so that's fine.

For anything that has leather involved, like 5-10's, heating them in any way is a bad idea.
Use rice bags, or if you're in a pinch, newspaper is also helping but is more effort and slower.

Magura Smile

Depends on how close to the boiler said radiator is. Water leaving a domestic boiler can be upto 85C.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 12:45 Quote
ratcat wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:

As someone who designs shoes for a living. Don’t do that. You’re putting extra wear and heat into the shoe that’s not helping to dry it.

I can attest to that. We do that with our road shoes, and it sure cuts their lifespan short.
We do it anyway, as we wear them out so fast that they would be goners anyway, but our 5-10's would never get even close to the tumble dryer.

Magura Smile

Thanks for the heads up, I'll refrain from doing that with my only good shoes (my 510's funnily enough). Gonna keep doing it to my cheap ass £12 specials as I tend to blow through them in a couple months at best even when I don't dry them during the summer months.

Legit question though, are radiators just as damaging to shoes?

Now I don't know if the term radiators applies to the same thing as the states, but I'm going to talk about things like this and their steam counterparts.

Definitely don't put shoes in contact with a radiator. You'll either damage the polyester upper, dry out or burn the leather, melt rubber or eva, or just start to compromise the glue that holds your upper to the bottom unit. But if you were to hang your shoes upside down like a 1/3 of a meter over the radiator you're probably good (depending on how hot it is). A decent rule of thumb is that if you can't hold your hand there for a while, it's too hot. So don't stick a blowdryer in your shoe unless it has a cold mode.

If you were to just choose ONLY one thing to dry your shoes out (being heat, airflow, or direct blotting) airflow is the #1 thing. By adding the warm component to that airflow lets the airflow absorb more moisture (warm air can hold more moisture than cold air #science ).

Absolutely ideal situation.
- Remove insole/ footbed from shoe.
- STUFF the shit out of wet shoes with newspaper (the more pictures the worse it is, so ads don't work as well). Squeeze those bad boys hard.
- Repeat with fresh newspaper. This is going to get a lot of moisture out (most upper foams are open cell PU, so sponges) and hopefully just leave the surface fabrics, leathers, and synthetics holding most of the moisture but not fully saturated.
- Turn upside down so gravity helps to pull the water away from the toebox which receives the least airflow
- Get some warm, not hot, airflow into those shoes

- Take the insoles and squeeze them between newsprint then let them air dry. Depending on what the foam material is it could be an open cell PU foam or it might be closed cell EVA or some other closed cell. The insoles will dry faster than your shoes.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
I recently got a tiny honeywell fan heater, 175/250w, and it kills it for drying stuff out. 19.99. I just toss them on a little rack underside down and put the heater under.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 14:53 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:

Magura Smile

Depends on how close to the boiler said radiator is. Water leaving a domestic boiler can be upto 85C.

Maybe my terminology is incorrect. To me central heating is not a domestic boiler, but rather a power plant somewhere in the city, that distributes heat?

Maguar Smile

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 14:57 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:

That is my life, I live in that. I'm about 45 minutes away from Bringewood.

Some really nice forest in that area. Hopton and Bringewood are super good and really good elevation too - think the're 3-400m elevation drop runs. Not bad for the UK!

Completely unrelated I'm going to see SlipKnot at the O2 tomorrow. I'm both excited and apprehensive lol

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 15:13 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:

Magura Smile

Maybe my terminology is incorrect. To me central heating is not a domestic boiler, but rather a power plant somewhere in the city, that distributes heat?

Maguar Smile

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 15:22 Quote
sosburn wrote:
i used to do that but i burnt one of the shoes so havent tried since haha

Do you know yh that radiators have a boost adjustment that you can wind down riiiiight

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 15:23 Quote
tom666 wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:

Some really nice forest in that area. Hopton and Bringewood are super good and really good elevation too - think the're 3-400m elevation drop runs. Not bad for the UK!

Completely unrelated I'm going to see SlipKnoT at the O2 tomorrow. I'm both excited and apprehensive lol

That actually sounds epically decent wholesome fun

Get on it that moshpit

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
tom666 wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:

Completely unrelated I'm going to see SlipKnoT at the O2 tomorrow. I'm both excited and apprehensive lol

Get on it that moshpit

Just hope I come home with all my belongings and my health lol

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 23:59 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:

Magura Smile

Maguar Smile

It's really nerdy, but I do like finding out how other places get their heating.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 0:01 Quote
Radiator thread. Holy f*ck you guys need to get a grip.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 0:02 Quote
tom666 wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:

Also not that far away is Bucknell, which is very similar. Bringewood has more options for dh type riding and has more secret trails than the other 2.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 2:00 Quote
tom666 wrote:
titaniumtit wrote:
tom666 wrote:

Get on it that moshpit

Just hope I come home with all my belongings and my health lol

I go to uni with someone who works for a security company, they do music events and football games etc.

He worked slipknot here in Sheffield but as someone trying to catch thieves. He said there were 30 phones nicked so probably worth keeping an eye on that haha

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028766
Mobile Version of Website