Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 23:42 Quote
Any tips on cleaning my bike after a ride? My first thought is to just hose it down

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 0:04 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Why aren't you drying off your shit and lubricating the parts that move?

sherbet wrote:
Cringing. Blast stuff with a hose then complain it doesn't last.

Since November I've ridden 30+ times. Bike needs a wash after every ride because it's muddy and wet here. Alternative is not to wash it and that leaves it covered in grit and dirt ahead of your next ride which won't be good for the drivetrain either.

After a ride you wash it, dry the chain and anything else that might rust or f*ck up, relube. Then you put it back in a cold garage.

Sure as shit next time you come to it there's some rust on the chain, even though you dried it - because it's cold and it's wet in the garage. Welcome to the UK.

It's just how it is here. Alternatives are:

1) not to ride
2) to spend a very long time drying the bike after every ride (say you spent 20-30 minutes drying it out 30+ times a winter...)
3) to store the bike somewhere heated (which I can't, good idea if you can).

Unless you do a couple of the above you will go through a few chains and drivetrain parts, that's the cost of winter in the UK and why the UK has some different requirements for bikes that other places. This is why people like the idea of an Orange with a tonne of mud clearance and only 2 bearings.

sherbet wrote:
The closest I can advise to a hose on a bike is getting a pesticide pump. They're super low pressure but definitely move volume. Pros get away with hoses cause they're totally fine with changing out parts wear items every weekend. If you're not prepared to do that, don't hit the bike with a hose. 15 minutes after a ride can save you a few hundred a year.

This is honestly laughable as an idea for anywhere that experiences real mud. Bike is covered in thick mud... You'd be there all day trying to get it clean with a pesticide pump. It would work in summer if the bike is just dusty rather than actually muddy.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 0:56 Quote
Bike's are going to die in the UK if you don't clean them guys. I bought one of those fan heaters to stick in the garage to dry out the bikes after the slop for this exact reason, get the hose out and blast it, f*ck it take it to a power wash at a petrol station if you live in a flat. if you can't run a heater where you store your bike, let it drip dry onto some old towels and lube 6 hours later.

@Sherb, good idea with pesticide sprayer, though I agree with Tom it won't be powerful enough, this is summer UK mud for reference: (winter is much worse ofc)

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 1:17 Quote
We get 4+ months of heavy snow and extreme salt on the roads. I daily to work. Bike gets cleaned twice a day with a spray bottle of water and some cleaner. My garage is not warm by any means, today got under -10c. Quick rag wipe where it counts. Typically don't clean the drivetrain nearly as often as it's got some pretty thick oils on it to keep it from rusting, and wiping it down and cleaning it daily would be nuts. Shit rusts here stupid fast.

We get rain here. We get mud here. It's not as constant as what you dudes experience, but mud is a thing I most definitely get to clean off my bike. You'd be surprised as how well sheer volumes of water with little pressure can do to rinse down a bike.

Guess my main point is you either gotta be a bit delicate when you're cleaning, and be prepared to do it often, or you're invariably going to get a bike that costs more in wear items by the end of the year. Shit sucks, but what else can you do?

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 1:19 Quote
Also aside; god damn I'd trade wet and coldish winters for what we have here any day of the week. Just you saying you've hit thirty plus actual rides since November kills me man. Think this is our last hard week of snow then we're safe.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 2:30 Quote
jespinal wrote:
Any tips on cleaning my bike after a ride? My first thought is to just hose it down
low pressure hose. Bucket and soft brush. Dry with microfiber cloth. Seperate cloth for drivetrain. Wd40 chain. Re lube when dry. No detergents. All bike cleaning products will ruin bearings and are a con. You don't need them.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 2:51 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Also aside; god damn I'd trade wet and coldish winters for what we have here any day of the week. Just you saying you've hit thirty plus actual rides since November kills me man. Think this is our last hard week of snow then we're safe.

I f ing hope so!! We just got 20 inches in the last three days and I just want to ride dirt!!! No more snow!!!

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 3:08 Quote
We got an entire inch of snow the other day! Shits crazy!!

But it's flat as a pancake Blank Stare

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 3:14 Quote
sherbet wrote:

Guess my main point is you either gotta be a bit delicate when you're cleaning, and be prepared to do it often, or you're invariably going to get a bike that costs more in wear items by the end of the year. Shit sucks, but what else can you do?

We agree. Drivetrain parts last longer they are kept more dry and better lubed up more of the time - but if you ride frequently in winter it's hard to do. Particularly here.

And yeah our winter is super good as winters go. You can still ride pretty often and 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 winter rides it will actually be super dry and running fast. Some of my best rides all year are winter rides - earlier this month for example I rode at BMCC in South Wales and it was running awesome. Dry but tacky, running super fast, visibility was really good - could see for miles. Dream conditions.

Shame our summer is so crap really lol

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 3:17 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
sherbet wrote:

I f ing hope so!! We just got 20 inches in the last three days

So what you're saying is you got 7 inches every day since Tuesday

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 3:19 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
sherbet wrote:

I f ing hope so!! We just got 20 inches in the last three days and I just want to ride dirt!!! No more snow!!!
that's more than Mrs wth gets in an average year!

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 4:32 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
sherbet wrote:

That’s not a tremendous amount, either.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 5:38 Quote
marxthekittah wrote:
SileTzar wrote:
whattheheel wrote:

So you've been getting more #humblebrag

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 7:01 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
marxthekittah wrote:
SileTzar wrote:

So you've been getting more #humblebrag
We haven’t gotten any real snow for a while. But it’s not unusual to get 8+” a day for like 5-6 days in a row. Been pretty sunny and fairly warm here. Thank goodness too. This is my last major week of training for my ultras till May, so it’s been nice to have good weather to be out in.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 7:36 Quote
Metal show was awesome.
Great music but I kinda felt like an extra from a BDSM version of Lord of the Rings... so many stout individuals of various genders in spiky leather with beards down to their ankles. Everyone was super friendly though, and the mosh pit stayed pretty well contained.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029156
Mobile Version of Website