Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 8:25 Quote
abennett219 wrote:
marxthekittah wrote:
Ok, so picked up a used chainsaw yesterday. It isn’t wanting to start. I’m guessing it’s the carburetor: Spark plug is fine, air filter is fine. Sounds great when I’m trying to start it, but is just not firing at all.

If you have air and a spark it will be a fuelling issue, have you checked if the carb is gunked up?

Pull the spark plug and connect it to the plug wire and turn it the engine over to check for spark.

Cheap gas that has ethanol in it really screws up carbs when they sit for awhile it forms a sludge and blocks up all the ports in the carb.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 9:19 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:
Iooked at getting Transit, saw sense and got a Mercedes. All the Transits here 2.2 litre diesel engines with assorted different horse power.

I think you and I have had a similar conversation before. Here in North America the gasoline powered transit is most reliable/lowest cost of ownership full size van on the market. The sprinter van is terribly unreliable and has one of the highest costs of ownership.
After wrenching on Mercedes for 6 years of my career I will never own one as they are disposable junk.
Plus the ecoboost 3.5l engine in the transit is not only incredibly reliable, it has loads of jam Big Grin
I think we did, and I still wouldn't touch a Ford. The new hybrid Transit Custom looks OK but it's still a Ford.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 9:29 Quote
marxthekittah wrote:
I’m guessing it’s the carburetor that’s junked up. New one is $25. And I’m guessing they’re easy to swap out.
I’ll probably order a new one in like a week or two. Been an expensive month. Had to order new struts and springs for the car, and those ran me $1K.

If you can get to it take the float bowl off the bottom of the carb and shoot it out with carb cleaner and if you can see a little brass piece with holes in it. Try and run something thin thru the holes (needle or small piece of wire) then spray again with carb cleaner. Reassemble and you should be good to go.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 10:25 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
marxthekittah wrote:
I’m guessing it’s the carburetor that’s junked up. New one is $25. And I’m guessing they’re easy to swap out.
I’ll probably order a new one in like a week or two. Been an expensive month. Had to order new struts and springs for the car, and those ran me $1K.

If you can get to it take the float bowl off the bottom of the carb and shoot it out with carb cleaner and if you can see a little brass piece with holes in it. Try and run something thin thru the holes (needle or small piece of wire) then spray again with carb cleaner. Reassemble and you should be good to go.
Have carb cleaner at my parents place. Will pick it up this weekend. Will give me something to do after work next week.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
For some off topic posting, was looking through old PB photos.

OOOOOFFF

photo

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 1:46 Quote
is that a big hit with an xc fork?

Also I just got my 35mm nukeproof stem, boi is it weird to have such a wide short stem but my sitting position feels miles better

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
That seat angle!! Eek

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
was it really a early 2000 bike if your seat wasn't tilted up.

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
But the seat post is in the wrong way around

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 10:02 Quote
for maximum tiltage!

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
retro all the things

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 6:41 Quote
Well it finally came to me trails are too dray and vegetation is too sharp so I keep getting punctures, tubeless it is

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 6:49 Quote
So the chainsaw’s carb is clean as can be. Spark plug is, in fact, getting plenty of fuel. Thinking may be wiring. Have to replace the wires on it now.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
marxthekittah wrote:
So the chainsaw’s carb is clean as can be. Spark plug is, in fact, getting plenty of fuel. Thinking may be wiring. Have to replace the wires on it now.

Look, there are a few ways to figure this, but they all boil down to the same.

1) Is it getting fuel?
Activate the choker, pull the starter a few times, remove the spark plug and see if it's wet.

2) Is the ignition working?
If the spark plug was wet, connect the spark plug, and hold the threaded portion against any metal part of the engine.
Pull the starter a few times, and see if you get proper spark.

If both 1 and 2 are satisfied, the engine will fire. It may run horribly poor, or not at all, but then it's a carburation matter.
That again isn't rocket science, but unlikely to be the case, unless some muppet has tampered with it.

Magura Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.070863
Mobile Version of Website