Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 6:24 Quote
I’m in ER about 10 yrs so feel free to reach out. 1st semester is the worst with mind games etc to discourage you. Mind over matter!

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 7:01 Quote
clydethepointer wrote:
I’m in ER about 10 yrs so feel free to reach out. 1st semester is the worst with mind games etc to discourage you. Mind over matter!
Thanks man. It’ll be a big change going back to being a full time student after 5 years being out of school. The main thing that’ll suck for me is that I have to go to the main campus for schooling, as I didn’t make the cut for the outreach school where I originally planned. But whatever. Basically means I’ll take one more class a semester to be full time, and won’t be working at all really.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 2:31 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
A 2003-2004 Elise is not an early model. They were made before 1999.
The later generations I have no personal experience with, as they were pretty much a failed attempt at turning it into a two seater car with all kinds of misplaced features, so I only had a short drive in one before deciding that probably isn't for me.
Sitting in one at a car show, I guess most would agree, hardly can be considered knowledge about how it is to drive one.
The Rover 1.8 engines are nice and reliable, as long as people can grasp that they have to forget about attempting their uninformed tuning of them. It's got some 120hp, and goes 0 to 60 MPH in less than 6 seconds, under real world circumstances. If that's not adequate for some, they simply picked the wrong car.
As for how they are to drive in traffic, try it, then let's have this conversation....

The cars of today, are engineered to do well in the tests. Take a frontal collision test, it's done by rolling the car into a wall.
Does that resemble any crash situation you'd normally see on the roads?
At least personally I don't recall seeing walls driving around where I have been Wink
That most steer and brake better than the same car from 3 decades ago, is in spite of the current construction, not due to it.
The only reason most cars today are not death traps, is due to ABS and ESC. Without they're significantly poorer cars than their 3 decades old siblings. Mercedes A class being the worst example I can think of off the top of my head.

To make a car much safer and lighter, really isn't that expensive or complicated, but as long as most people drink the coolaid, and believes in 17 airbags and what not being the holy grail of safety, the car manufacturers has zero reason to do anything about it.
One of the ways cars could be made safer and lighter, would be to use aluminum crash structures, as it actually gets softer for a short while when overloaded beyoing the floating limit.
That's a very simple and efficient solution, that has been employed by, among others, Lotus, for the last few decades.
They did this out of need, as they expected their cars to do track duty here and there, and therfore have an occasional crash. To avoid having to write the entire car off in a crash, they used this technology. It's been proven to offer very good safety for the occupants of the car, combined with a massive roll over cage, hidden in the rear part of the roof construction.

I have no problem with a huge Mercedes tank, it's quite good comfort and what not, what I am opposed to is making them so poorly, when it takes relatively little to make them much safer and generally better cars.
If flying doesn't become reasonably tolerable and and time efficient within the next year or so, I think you'll see a Bentley Continental coming to a driveway near me.....

That insurance companies are out to screw us all over, is hard to make an argument against Wink
That they don't give away free money, goes in the same category. I just looked into it, and some insurance companies in fact even gives you a discount if you participate in a tech driving track day.

It's so here in Denmark, that you can't get a drivers license without having done at least one driving tech track day.

The safety game regarding trucks, is a whole different game.
There it makes no difference to save some half a ton, or even a ton. Different parameters altogether, where driving aids clearly makes a huge difference, and the general construction of the vehicle is probably as fine tuned as it gets within reason.
So if you replace the word "car" with the word "truck" in this conversation, you're clearly right.

1 ton more tare weight in a truck, in my case will cost my employer 2200 a week, in a year thats the just more than the cost of a brand new shining tructor unit and trailer. It's not complicated but needs a different approach than the one you do.
the track days and safety courses are not the same, we are required to do safety courses, street safety has nothing to do with track days, that's why I said track days and reaching your cars limits don't make a driver better. Dangers and fatal accidents are not caused by poor handling skills but poor judgements. Two different things. Try ask why truckers with the least accidents in a million miles are consider high risk when get personal insurance. I did and got a "that's how it is"

Manufacturing of cars need a metal that can be stampt, rolled and pressed among other parameters and aluminum doesn't respond well in any of those, it's weaker than steel, way more expensive and in case you use both steel and alu bonding them togeather is a pain, costs increase significantly with out any weight savings in the end. Deforming and managing collision is a matter of design and not material within reason of course. cars now are heavier it's because they are considerably bigger than used to be and have stronger bodies that respond better to collisions. Another big issue is alu isn't repairable friendly to say the least, it needs special treatments and prep to work with. Wall collisions are done mostly to check deforming and driveability after a serious crash. Not many reasons to crash another car if you can sell it intead of wrecking it isn't it?!
I had a rover 220 turbo, I totally disagree with delihustler, I had a head gasket gone twice a week, every week , it's t a shitty desingned engine with poor water circulation in cylinder head, don't discipate heat well and that's the reason of constand head gasket failures especially in hot climates, not even bigger radiators fixe the issue

A vw golf gti 2 vs a gti 6 gen with esp, abs and air bags deactivated, don't know which one will fare better in a track but I know in which one would rather crash in....

Merc A class isn't a car and Bentleys not what they used to be... I am aware you know that. British are left with ariel and caterham.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 2:33 Quote
Sorry for the rant boys Smile

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 3:27 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
Nice gravedig

Haha, I had to go many pages back to make sure i didn't miss anything. Many unread msgs!

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 6:58 Quote
posting a pig to get us back on track....

this count as a pig..? asking for a friend Rolleyes

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
It has red pedals, it's a pig

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 7:57 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
It has red pedals, it's a pig

dem ar purple Gnar !! no soup for you !!

I have Whattheheel to thank for those btw.... Rolleyes

regardless - she's still quite the pig Wink

edit: early pig status, I picked it up after work on a Friday, this was the next morning after fixing some shit so it was even ride-able. The suspension moved nicely, but literally nothing else on it worked.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 10:51 Quote
They look pretty pink/red in that photo. Maybe the lighting. Either way, definitely relevant pig thread material

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 13:52 Quote
My pleasure and they are the old purple Chromags of the HT.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 14:17 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
My pleasure and they are the old purple Chromags of the HT.

lovin' my Chromags bro....!

One got a bit wonky after a spill. Pulled pedal apart. Axle looked perfect but play was obvious at the bushing end. Couldn't find just the bushings on-line so e/mailed Chromag asking if I could buy just the bushings. Dude replies back asking for my address. Says he'll send me a couple at no charge. Props...!!!

The bushings arrived fast, but I did two, maybe three, rides before they hit my door. Pulled pedal apart to install one of said free bushings and the axle was toast. But.....no surprise, we ride in some nasty shit sometimes.

E/mailed dude back with tail between legs, appreciative of his support, advising that the axle appears to be toast. I wanted to tell him "thank you" again for his kindness, and just let him know that I placed an order for an axle kit (and a bashguard that happened to be on sale). He LOL'd in his post and said "yeah, I saw your order...I'm actually putting it together right now so it can ship today...".

Their service is awesome...!

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Dayum I'm heaviest I've ever been. Still not completely fat, but I gained 7kg/16lbs in the last year since this corona bullshit started.
Went for a ride yesterday, cased a big-ass drop and today everything hurts. Good thing the ankles held up. Monday sucks balls

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030738
Mobile Version of Website