Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
Author Message
Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 5:08 Quote
So the hype is real, good to know.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 0:26 Quote
And so, hyped about the oval ring and the freshly tuned bike I did a really good time on my main local climb, had a beer, went to check out a new trail, crashed in a steep right hander, twisted my bars, went to pull them back into center and like a true idiot held the front wheel between my legs and burned my calf on a stupid hot front rotor.

How's your day going

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 0:28 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
And so, hyped about the oval ring and the freshly tuned bike I did a really good time on my main local climb, had a beer, went to check out a new trail, crashed in a steep right hander, twisted my bars, went to pull them back into center and like a true idiot held the front wheel between my legs and burned my calf on a stupid hot front rotor.

How's your day going

I slept like shit but am about to go for a ride and I hope it will turn out better than yours... How serious is the burn?

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 0:35 Quote
Not that serious but you can definitely tell it's a Shimano rotor lol

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 0:57 Quote
ToddM1 wrote:
jespinal wrote:
I have 44T on my gravel is there anything out there?

Also I may go smaller like 40 or something up front I am suffering like a bitch on climbs

If you do some quick math, dividing the front chain ring tooth number, by the largest rear sprocket tooth number and see how much of a rear wheel rotation you get from 1 rotation of the crank. Something in the .6 of a ration of the rear wheel is a pretty sweet climbing ratio.

So for example, I have a 30T on the front, and 50T on the back. 30 divided by 50 = .6

At that ratio, prior to the 30T oval, 2 weeks ago, I had to stay in the lowest gear (50T), and just grind out the climb. With the 30T oval, (and on the very first ride with it) I can come in and out of that 50T, a sprocket or 2, as I like, and only stay in the 50T for the worst parts.

The other cool things about the ovals is that there's no more of that "grunt...grunt...grunt" with each pushing down of the pedals. Now it's just a rotation. I can also get started on a steep slope, without just spinning out the rear tire. Also noticed I can sort of stall out the bike to get over a feature, and then start pedaling, and pop up over it.
I have 32-50 on my trail bike and 44-46 on the gravel, it's a bitch to climb but my quads haven't looked better

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 0:58 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
And so, hyped about the oval ring and the freshly tuned bike I did a really good time on my main local climb, had a beer, went to check out a new trail, crashed in a steep right hander, twisted my bars, went to pull them back into center and like a true idiot held the front wheel between my legs and burned my calf on a stupid hot front rotor.

How's your day going
been there done that

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 5:42 Quote
jespinal wrote:
I have 32-50 on my trail bike and 44-46 on the gravel, it's a bitch to climb but my quads haven't looked better

Just one dude telling another dude how nice his quads are. Good for you budFab

lol

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 6:31 Quote
jespinal wrote:
ToddM1 wrote:
jespinal wrote:
I have 44T on my gravel is there anything out there?

Also I may go smaller like 40 or something up front I am suffering like a bitch on climbs

If you do some quick math, dividing the front chain ring tooth number, by the largest rear sprocket tooth number and see how much of a rear wheel rotation you get from 1 rotation of the crank. Something in the .6 of a ration of the rear wheel is a pretty sweet climbing ratio.

So for example, I have a 30T on the front, and 50T on the back. 30 divided by 50 = .6

At that ratio, prior to the 30T oval, 2 weeks ago, I had to stay in the lowest gear (50T), and just grind out the climb. With the 30T oval, (and on the very first ride with it) I can come in and out of that 50T, a sprocket or 2, as I like, and only stay in the 50T for the worst parts.

The other cool things about the ovals is that there's no more of that "grunt...grunt...grunt" with each pushing down of the pedals. Now it's just a rotation. I can also get started on a steep slope, without just spinning out the rear tire. Also noticed I can sort of stall out the bike to get over a feature, and then start pedaling, and pop up over it.
I have 32-50 on my trail bike and 44-46 on the gravel, it's a bitch to climb but my quads haven't looked better

My quads will never look better than they did when I did food delivery on a fixie, big gears big quads

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
Not that serious but you can definitely tell it's a Shimano rotor lol

working on the bikes yesterday with my son bedding in his new brake pads and I lightly tap the rotor to check to see if it's heating up... I said "man that's pretty hot" he squats down and grabs the rotor with 2 fingers then says "ow that's hot!!" Facepalm

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 9:47 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
SileTzar wrote:
Not that serious but you can definitely tell it's a Shimano rotor lol

working on the bikes yesterday with my son bedding in his new brake pads and I lightly tap the rotor to check to see if it's heating up... I said "man that's pretty hot" he squats down and grabs the rotor with 2 fingers then says "ow that's hot!!" Facepalm

So he's a critical thinker who relies on empirical data over anecdotes. You raised a good one.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 15:59 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
SileTzar wrote:
Not that serious but you can definitely tell it's a Shimano rotor lol

working on the bikes yesterday with my son bedding in his new brake pads and I lightly tap the rotor to check to see if it's heating up... I said "man that's pretty hot" he squats down and grabs the rotor with 2 fingers then says "ow that's hot!!" Facepalm

That's a #teachablemoment right there lol

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 16:18 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
Not that serious but you can definitely tell it's a Shimano rotor lol

lol lol that's messed up

LOL on the "learning moments"

accidentally rub up against a brake rotor on a race car with your forearm after it comes off the track...looks like you tattooed a ladder on your arm....

I've never done this btw Rolleyes

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 23:46 Quote
I have a small wound on my forearm from a 7mm masonry drill bit, finished drilling a hole and the drill swinged around and touched my arm, didn't hurt that much but the dog wanted to play a few days later and took the scab off. Yay another scar.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 4:04 Quote
I have pinhole burn scars on chest...I have no idea how they got there.

maybe that rotor that exploded on me that time....


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030392
Mobile Version of Website