Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 2:33 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
SileTzar wrote:
...only to completely lose the sense of smell and taste. Is this how he British live all the time with their cuisine? Everything is bland and tasteless?

lol lol lol

Our new boss is a Brit and we give him constant shit about the cuisine.

This upsets me greatly lol

Old people in the UK eat some bland, awful stuff - I will agree. Too many people eat unseasoned meat with potatoes and overcooked vegetables. For sauce you get one lump of butter Blank Stare

However, we actually have tonnes of good food in the UK. We have lots of Indian, Nepalese, Chinese, Thai, Caribbean, Italian people in the UK who bring with them great food. London probably has among the best food scenes anywhere in the world, certainly some of the most global. Most cakes/desserts are British. You'll also find a lot of people who cook traditional British stuff to a very high standard - we have a lot of Michelin star restaurants here - particularly involving seafood.

But yes, we do also have some terrible food. I think Germany and most of the rest of Northern Europe are with us there where the food our grandparents eat is pretty miserable.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 2:49 Quote
yeah, nearly everyone goes to eat in Michelin stared restaurants in the UK......
..or chain restaurants owned by vulture capitalist investors that serve badly prepared overpriced pap in astonishingly innovative ways....
..I forget which.

McFood and Kebab joints are closing down in droves.

Cabbage soup and parsnips is the future of UK cuisine lol

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 2:59 Quote
If you're talking about a country's food scene I think the high end restaurants have a lot to do with it, even if you don't go to them often or at all

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 3:17 Quote
Some of my favourite spots in London:

215 Hackney - Middle Eastern Fusion Food:

photo

Homeslice - chain of 4 pizza restaurants in Central London. They do some traditional pizza but most of their menu is non-traditional. Greek, Middle Eastern and Indian influence:

photo

Flat Iron - they do steaks:

photo

Bragadiers - Indian Fusion:

photo

It isn't all sad overcooked vegetables in the UK

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 3:31 Quote
I think you can largely compare London to Denmark in this regard.
The high end scene is up there with the best.
What the average person gets though, is miserable at best.
The middle ground with reasonable quality food that ordinary people can afford, is slim, as in very slim.

So saying that a country can be judged, based on their high end cuisine, is very questionable in my opinion.

I've been pretty much anywhere in Europe. Scandinavia and the UK are by a large margin, the areas with the poorest average cuisine.

On the other hand, Italy and Spain seems to be at the other end of the spectrum, with much better average quality cuisine, and a relatively limited amount of super high end restaurants.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 3:58 Quote
I can probably agree with that. In Spain and Italy you can go almost anywhere and the food will be pretty good, in the UK you have to seek out places with better reviews because the standard is overall lower probably.

I do think the best restaurants are important though. Restaurants like that train lots of people, who leave to start their own places. It also shows consumers what is possible and leads to people expecting more.

Where I'm living at the moment for example we have Rick Stein's Sandbanks restaurant and also a place called Shell Bay (which seems to gain a michelin star for a few years and then lose it and then repeat). Both places do phenomenal seafood. If anybody else wants to open a mid-high end restaurant here they have to compete with that.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 5:10 Quote
I've just had a fish finger sandwich for lunch

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 5:40 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:

Cheesy fish finger sandwiches are the absolute pinnacle of British cuisine and any argument to the contrary is a lie

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 5:49 Quote
If any of you dare disrespect the tapas I'm throwing hands

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 6:01 Quote
NYC has best food!

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 7:34 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:

thats fine

as long as it is served on a slab of slate and has lotus petals sprinkled on top

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 8:33 Quote
tom666 wrote:

I do think the best restaurants are important though. Restaurants like that train lots of people, who leave to start their own places. It also shows consumers what is possible and leads to people expecting more.

Where I'm living at the moment for example we have Rick Stein's Sandbanks restaurant and also a place called Shell Bay (which seems to gain a michelin star for a few years and then lose it and then repeat). Both places do phenomenal seafood. If anybody else wants to open a mid-high end restaurant here they have to compete with that.

The top cooks I know, were trained in high end restaurants, and to this day they are all still in the high or higher end segment, where 99% of the population can't afford to dine, and even if they could, they won't.

There is no reason for the low end places, to even consider if there's a high end restaurant in the area, as most people will not pay $100 for lunch, or $300 for dinner. They'll pay $9.99 if there's plenty on the plate, and that's it.

Actually, come to think of it, the place I know of that has the most nice places, where ordinary people can afford to dine, would be the Florida Panhandle. Southern Alabama seems to offer the same. A proper quality lunch can be had there, for some $15 or so. Not that they don't have a plethora of measly fast food, but there's a rather big mid level segment.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 8:39 Quote
My favourite is when you bump into a well priced dive with absolutely astonishingly good food. There was a jerk place near where I use to live in Toronto. Was like $8.99 for a chicken breast and rice. I don't think I've ever had better jerk anywhere, regardless of the price.

Fine dining in this area seems mostly aesthetically based. We get a high end place once every few years, it always fails expectations, is vastly too expensive, and just comes off as tacky inside. FishBowl was a great example. High dining, great chefs, pretty dang good food, but frankly was just not a reasonable price for what they asked. Really hard to justify a $90 steak when you can get the same grade of beef and do it yourself for well under $30.

Now that I think on it, not sure Barrie has ever had a Michelin rated, and if it did, it never really went far enough. We're a perfect example of having the money but not understanding the culture.

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 8:51 Quote
Got treated to a meal at a Michelin starred restaurant in my home town once, and while it was nice I didn't see where the price premium came from versus many of the other mid level restaurants in town.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 9:08 Quote
cutting vegetables into intricate shapes is expensive

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.091520
Mobile Version of Website