Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 8:26 Quote
photo
photo

These are my go to lids.

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
SileTzar wrote:
The Urge helmet has the necessary certificates, which is all the reassurance I needed that it would do the job well.

Luckily I haven't tested it to it's limits. Hopefully I won't test the MIPS hype first hand either.

"the necessary certificates" = bare minimum requirements that are kinda antiquated. That's the whole reason VT started actually testing and putting numbers behind helmets letting you know how well they actually work.

What's the European equivalent? We don't trust American testing of equipment.

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 8:53 Quote
I duno Sile, that looks pretty normal to me. The other one probably looked silly small and made your head look big

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
We use the EN1078

https://www.helmetfacts.com/standards/en-1078/

It's the standard apllied throughout EU and as such I believe it's enough

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 10:01 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
SileTzar wrote:
The Urge helmet has the necessary certificates, which is all the reassurance I needed that it would do the job well.

Luckily I haven't tested it to it's limits. Hopefully I won't test the MIPS hype first hand either.

"the necessary certificates" = bare minimum requirements that are kinda antiquated. That's the whole reason VT started actually testing and putting numbers behind helmets letting you know how well they actually work.

No one to my knowledge in Europe is actually doing objective testing like this.

Standards = Lowest bar possible (Just about all bike helmets get EN1078, and CPSC certs)
VT testing = Objective measurement of the helmets performance against other models. You can actually see if a helmet is better than another at protecting the most important organ in your body.

Here is an example
- Bern Allston is EN1078 certed but is ranked 141th for $80.
- Giant Rev Comp Mips is EN1078 certed but is ranked 6 for $50

The Giant helmet transfers WAY less energy to your head in low speed crashes, and less in high speed crashes as well.

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 11:24 Quote
jespinal wrote:
And I thought M0fe was ugly damn

im fabulous, biatch!

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 12:09 Quote
jespinal wrote:

U FOKKEN WOT M8

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 14:36 Quote
moferenc wrote:
jespinal wrote:

im fabulous, biatch!
I never said otherwise bb

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 14:36 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
jespinal wrote:

U FOKKEN WOT M8
fight me

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 21:44 Quote
fredro wrote:
photo
photo

These are my go to lids.

Youre the man.

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 0:46 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:

Standards = Lowest bar possible (Just about all bike helmets get EN1078, and CPSC certs)
VT testing = Objective measurement of the helmets performance against other models. You can actually see if a helmet is better than another at protecting the most important organ in your body.

Here is an example

The Giant helmet transfers WAY less energy to your head in low speed crashes, and less in high speed crashes as well.

Well, I'm a firm believer in "good enough", meaning, I find a good looking helmet, make sure it has a good review and decent coverage, buy it and go along my merry way. Otherwise, where does it end? Do you buy handlebars based on fatigue testing? Cranks and pedals? I'm obviously not buying CB pedals and risking a terrible crash from the axle snapping in half, or early SRAM carbon cranks notorious for exploding, but give me a Shimano product in my pricerange and I'm a happy camper. I'm not out here pushing the limits of equipment, I'm out here having fun on my bike.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 8:34 Quote
I'm just trying to look out for your noggin.

"Good enough" on something that can be the separating line between being a vegetable and a functional human seems odd to me. But I've had my life saved multiple times because of helmets, so maybe I have a different point of view.

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 9:44 Quote
lol kinda disappointed... looks OK in situ...as far as bike lids can

thanx 4 da gigglez

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 17:32 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:

Here is an example

Well, I'm a firm believer in "good enough", meaning, I find a good looking helmet, make sure it has a good review and decent coverage, buy it and go along my merry way. Otherwise, where does it end? Do you buy handlebars based on fatigue testing? Cranks and pedals? I'm obviously not buying CB pedals and risking a terrible crash from the axle snapping in half, or early SRAM carbon cranks notorious for exploding, but give me a Shimano product in my pricerange and I'm a happy camper. I'm not out here pushing the limits of equipment, I'm out here having fun on my bike.

Sile, at the risk of starting a flame war between different religions, let me tell you a bit about CE marking of bike helmets.
First of all, the test (like many other CE marking tests) has nothing to do with actual function, but is largely defined by either the industry, or even worse (and most common) a relative test, comparing factors that often has no meaning in real life, against products already on the market, with a bracket you need to be within to get the approval.

I'm not familiar with how the VT testing is done, but it seems similar.

Bike helmets only look like they do, due to the CE marking tests, it has zero to do with safety.
What causes injury to the brain, which in turn is causing death or disability, is the G force of the hit, which none of the helmets we have available protects against at all, as in ZERO.
For a helmet to protect against the G force of the impact, compression is required, and preferably a whole lot of it. None of the helmets out there, offers any significant compressability.
The only helmet that actually protects us against anything but scull fractures (extremely rare, and mostly people don't survive for other reasons in those cases) is the one that the established helmet manufacturers has done a lot to get rid of.

https://hovding.com/

This is like an airbag, and actually lowers the force of the impact significantly, unfortunately it's no use for us in its current iteration, and the rest of the industry is hanging on to their meal tickets.

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 23:00 Quote
so in a nutshell get a cool BB or a trail helmet with a chunky enough visor to reduce the possibility of facial reconstruction when the inevitable occurs. tup

30 to 0 in .0001s is never good Wink

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.098768
Mobile Version of Website