Powered by Outside

Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
Posted: Jun 2, 2024 at 19:53 Quote
tom666 wrote:

It looks like the battery caught fire first and it spread. ...........Pretty f*cking crazy!

No warning signs before hand, no issues prior. Totally out of the blue.

I will share pics at some point if people want to see. In the process of going through insurance atm

yeah, I've seen shit like that. I suspect the sheathing on a section of the wiring harness degraded and cracked apart allowing a short...that's my guess anyways. Actually not that uncommon.

sorry for the loss of the car, especially since it had been in the family for so long. definitely share some before/after shots.

I'm sure I speak for all of us by saying we're just thankful that this didn't happen while at your home. Worse yet, while parked in your garage. Unfortunately I've seen that too. Frown

Posted: Jun 3, 2024 at 13:09 Quote
The whip

So here's the before.

As I said before, my grandpa bought it new in 2006, my Dad had it for a long time, he gave it to me after University.

Battery caught fire whilst left parked. Taken by a local resident who noticed it

So reminder, I just left the car parked and went about my day. Nothing unusual about how it was driving or anything.

Photo taken by a local resident who was in his house and thought he could smell burning plastic...

Fire Damage lots of damage the fire service did making sure the fire was out

Fire service ripped the bonnet open to make sure the fire was fully out...

Fire Damage lots of damage the fire service did making sure the fire was out

Yikes

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2024 at 13:55 Quote
That's some messed up stuff Tom

Posted: Jun 3, 2024 at 19:59 Quote
Sorry for your loss but glad your alright.

Posted: Jun 4, 2024 at 3:31 Quote
holy shit - what a shame. That looked to be in pretty decent shape for a damned near 20 yo car. !

Customer of mine at BMW had his e39 5-series catch fire in his garage due to the cooling fan issues those had. Completely destroyed the garage, like burned the attached garage to the point of no salvage. The whole family was home upstairs asleep.

I just had the PCV heater recall done on my X5. Can short, overheat, and catch fire. Had one that went up in flames in the shop I used to manage while that car was in for the recall. Damaged a good portion of the interior of the building. Car was a total loss.

like I said...not uncommon actually.

Eek

Posted: Jun 4, 2024 at 7:36 Quote
Those cases of car fires, that happens while in the garage, are super scary!
Not too long ago, that happened to an acquaintance of mine, but with an electrical car.
That cost him a brand new house as well, as the fire brigade was over half an hour away.
There was no chance of pulling it out, as the parking brake remained on, and it weighed 2.2 tons.
After seeing that, electrical cars don't get in among my cars anymore at home.

O+
Posted: Jun 4, 2024 at 16:56 Quote
When I was a kid me, my mom and my baby sister where pulling out of our driveway and the van caught fire. Luckily the neighbour happened to see the smoke as we pulled out and started yelling at us. We all got out just as the van fully caught fire and then completely burned down within minutes.

Car fires go quickly.

Posted: Jun 5, 2024 at 5:06 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
When I was a kid me, my mom and my baby sister where pulling out of our driveway and the van caught fire. Luckily the neighbour happened to see the smoke as we pulled out and started yelling at us. We all got out just as the van fully caught fire and then completely burned down within minutes.

Car fires go quickly.

dayum ! that's too close for comfort.

Posted: Jun 5, 2024 at 8:16 Quote
I agree with setting cars on fire and hope to see more of this in the future. tup

Mod
Posted: Jun 5, 2024 at 9:59 Quote
photo
I know this forum is not actually about ugly bikes but i got a new piglet foes for cheap. gonna replace the anemic super t's with shivers.

Posted: Jun 5, 2024 at 10:13 Quote
That stem!
Looks like a fun project.

Mod
Posted: Jun 5, 2024 at 10:37 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
That stem!
Looks like a fun project.
yeah it will be. main thing right now is getting a front doublewide, doubletrack or intense mag30

Posted: Jun 5, 2024 at 14:16 Quote
its-chris wrote:
Oh heck!! That’s f*cked up!! Never seen a battery burst into flames.

Post pics! Hopefully insurance treat you well

adm750 wrote:

yeah, I've seen shit like that. I suspect the sheathing on a section of the wiring harness degraded and cracked apart allowing a short...that's my guess anyways. Actually not that uncommon.

sorry for the loss of the car, especially since it had been in the family for so long. definitely share some before/after shots.

I'm sure I speak for all of us by saying we're just thankful that this didn't happen while at your home. Worse yet, while parked in your garage. Unfortunately I've seen that too. Frown

gnarnaimo wrote:
That's some messed up stuff Tom

Mr-Magura wrote:
Those cases of car fires, that happens while in the garage, are super scary!
Not too long ago, that happened to an acquaintance of mine, but with an electrical car.
That cost him a brand new house as well, as the fire brigade was over half an hour away.
There was no chance of pulling it out, as the parking brake remained on, and it weighed 2.2 tons.
After seeing that, electrical cars don't get in among my cars anymore at home.

Thanks for kind words guys.

Pretty effed up but life goes on.

As has been said, could have been way worse. The week before it caught fire it was actually parked right next to my Boss' car for an entire week whilst we were in Portugal on business...

It also could have damaged a house, a garage or other cars and it didn't. So quite lucky there.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.056990
Mobile Version of Website