Lyrik rc2dh air, works amazing with no air at all

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Lyrik rc2dh air, works amazing with no air at all
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 17, 2012 at 9:16 Quote
My mate got some Lyrik RC2DH forks, went for a ride today, they had 40psi in and had no sag what so ever but felt nice if bounced. So let all the air out to try and pump up again, but we could not fully compress the for it just sprang back. With no air he had 25% sag and they felt amazing so presumed they had a coil in. After the ride we taken the top cap off to check for a spring but there was just the air spring and could still not compress it fully.

WTF is going on with these forks?

Posted: Nov 20, 2012 at 0:06 Quote
Sounds like it's running on hopes and dreams, it's a rare affliction, but not unheard of Big Grin

Posted: Nov 20, 2012 at 14:46 Quote
It sounds like all the air has escaped in the lower leg ... One thing you could do would be to let all the air out, turn the bike upside down, unscrew (2-3 turns) both screws at the bottom of the legs, and gently tap them with a mallet. Caution, some air may escape !

Other than that, I don't see any other reason how it could do that (unless someone put a coil inside the lower leg? O_o)

Posted: Nov 20, 2012 at 22:38 Quote
Air in the lowers could make sense actually, will let him know so he can give that a try.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 at 15:04 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
It sounds like all the air has escaped in the lower leg ... One thing you could do would be to let all the air out, turn the bike upside down, unscrew (2-3 turns) both screws at the bottom of the legs, and gently tap them with a mallet. Caution, some air may escape !

Other than that, I don't see any other reason how it could do that (unless someone put a coil inside the lower leg? O_o)

I Ploutre you are a pro are you a mecanic?

Posted: Nov 21, 2012 at 21:48 Quote
Pop the lowers. Sometimes the air is compressed in there from travel overseas. Weird but true. I had one that wouldn't get full travel but WAS overextended (175mm for a 160)

Edit: It's not specifically the air spring leaked either. That will typically pop your dust seal off the lower casting. This has to do with manufacturing. Even the race guys have to do it on occasion.

Posted: Nov 21, 2012 at 23:12 Quote
nomad2010uk wrote:
I Ploutre you are a pro are you a mecanic?

Nop I'm not ^^

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2012 at 1:02 Quote
But you now a lot mate

Posted: Nov 26, 2012 at 9:48 Quote
jewsef wrote:
Air in the lowers could make sense actually, will let him know so he can give that a try.
Any news?

Posted: Nov 26, 2012 at 12:28 Quote
He said he has tried it but still the same, he is running 10psi and he is happy with them

Posted: Nov 26, 2012 at 14:44 Quote
I'd pull the damper and check the oil height. Is it bottoming prematurely? High oil can cause ramp up but it'd most likely hydrolock before reaching that point with high oil.

Or if there is excessive grease on the solo air spring check valve, it can clog, not allowing swap into the negative. I would pull it completely apart before something fails.

Was this new out of box, or a used fork?

Posted: Aug 25, 2013 at 9:09 Quote
kmg0 wrote:
I'd pull the damper and check the oil height. Is it bottoming prematurely? High oil can cause ramp up but it'd most likely hydrolock before reaching that point with high oil.

Or if there is excessive grease on the solo air spring check valve, it can clog, not allowing swap into the negative. I would pull it completely apart before something fails.

Was this new out of box, or a used fork?

Hello mate, I think my 2013 Lyrik RC2DH solo air has the negative valve stuck since I use too low pressure to have significant sag and no support in the rest of the travel, plus I replace the 170mm spacer with the 160mm one and the travel rises up to 170mm again over 15psi.
Do you have an idea on how to fix it?

Posted: Aug 31, 2013 at 10:59 Quote
I think the piston is stucked, cause the piston acts like a valve for the negative chamber, so i guess when you compress the fork a vacuum occurs under the piston and that is causing the fork to extend back.

Hmm why dont they make a vaccum forks, maybe they will work better Wink

Rainan, remove the spring shaft clean it, grease it and install it back and try again

Posted: Sep 2, 2013 at 0:48 Quote
I took a part the piston again and made deifferent tests: everything works as it should but still the fork extends to 170mm (and little above). I think the negative chamber gets a little less pressure than the positive one, there's no other explanation. I put a 14mm rubber spacere inside the negative chamber: now the inner valve is engaged at 145mm and the fork rises to 165mm above 15psi.
Air spring assembly
  Air spring assembly

Lyrik Solo Air tuning
  Lyrik Solo Air tuning

I used the fok yesterday (dh track): 38psi, 10 clicks rebound, LC full closed, HC middle: it performed absolutely good, far better than my previous Marzocchi 55R coil sprung. Great fork, absolutely great! Good sensitivity, support, tunability. It inspires a lot of confidence.

Cheers Wink

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015474
Mobile Version of Website