Question about marzocchi 888 rc3 evo

PB Forum :: Downhill
Question about marzocchi 888 rc3 evo
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Nov 17, 2012 at 16:07 Quote
I have marzocchi 888 rc3 evo ti's (2010) and haven't ridden in a while since I've been going to the gym. Now I'm heavier than I used to be, so I have to run the forks on full compression and they still almost bottom out. Do you think I need a heavier spring or could I just use a heavier weight oil?

Also will the heavier oil have an effect on the plushness of the forks?

Cheers

Posted: Nov 17, 2012 at 16:27 Quote
Try and find a suspension dealer (like mojo) and they will tell you the springs rates and stuff for you. But harder spring is your way foreword I think

Posted: Nov 19, 2012 at 10:10 Quote
Erm, unless you've gained 30kg in that amount of time, I don't see why your settings would be so different ... And you should be able to pump some air in the 888, for some air-assisted preload.

How long has it stayed in a shed ? did the fork feel different from what you remembered (eg: super fast rebound or no change in the compression setting from fully closed to fully open) ? If so, a good service would do the trick (and a good tune while you're at it)

And yes, heavier oil will mean stiffer compression, slower rebound. If you're already playing at the very end of the rebound setting, forget that option, and check with Mojo or whoever is dealing with suspensions tuneing in NZ, and have it serviced and tuned.

Posted: Nov 23, 2012 at 2:09 Quote
downhilltoavenged7x wrote:
I have marzocchi 888 rc3 evo ti's (2010) and haven't ridden in a while since I've been going to the gym. Now I'm heavier than I used to be, so I have to run the forks on full compression and they still almost bottom out. Do you think I need a heavier spring or could I just use a heavier weight oil?

Also will the heavier oil have an effect on the plushness of the forks?

Cheers
I had the same thing, I ordered the heavier spring and now it feels the same as before. I haven't got the Ti version tho. I have regular 888 RC3 Evo V.2

Posted: Nov 23, 2012 at 3:57 Quote
reinholds wrote:
downhilltoavenged7x wrote:
I have marzocchi 888 rc3 evo ti's (2010) and haven't ridden in a while since I've been going to the gym. Now I'm heavier than I used to be, so I have to run the forks on full compression and they still almost bottom out. Do you think I need a heavier spring or could I just use a heavier weight oil?

Also will the heavier oil have an effect on the plushness of the forks?

Cheers
I had the same thing, I ordered the heavier spring and now it feels the same as before. I haven't got the Ti version tho. I have regular 888 RC3 Evo V.2

Where do you buy new springs bro? I can't find ti springs anywhere.

Posted: Nov 23, 2012 at 4:06 Quote
downhilltoavenged7x wrote:
reinholds wrote:
downhilltoavenged7x wrote:
I have marzocchi 888 rc3 evo ti's (2010) and haven't ridden in a while since I've been going to the gym. Now I'm heavier than I used to be, so I have to run the forks on full compression and they still almost bottom out. Do you think I need a heavier spring or could I just use a heavier weight oil?

Also will the heavier oil have an effect on the plushness of the forks?

Cheers
I had the same thing, I ordered the heavier spring and now it feels the same as before. I haven't got the Ti version tho. I have regular 888 RC3 Evo V.2

Where do you buy new springs bro? I can't find ti springs anywhere.
You need to ask your local Marzocchi Dealer. From their site, I found that marzocchi's dealer in New Zealand is http://www.wideopen.co.nz/enquire.php
Or you can search in PinkBikes BuySell section. I have seen Ti springs for 888 there.
The steel spring costed for me something around 60USD, so I believe that Ti will be way more expensive. On the other hand you'll have two springs to switch out according track you'll race, so it never hurts to have options! Smile

Posted: Nov 24, 2012 at 8:40 Quote
How much do you weigh? I am 190lbs and I am using extra firm ti spring. I still find myself bottoming out here and there but my compression and preload and turned completely counter-clockwise, fully open, turned off (however you wanna call it).


You can order Ti (and steel) springs through Marzocchi directly but be prepared to shell out $$$ (~$200 US dollars) for one

Posted: Dec 2, 2012 at 2:47 Quote
I'm 211 pounds running the standard ti spring I believe, looks like I'll have to ring up marzo when I have the money

Posted: Dec 2, 2012 at 22:19 Quote
I've ramped up my compression and preload and seems to not be bottoming out as much. You definitely need the extra firm.

Posted: Dec 3, 2012 at 20:05 Quote
I have a Steel stiff spring for an 2012 888 if you want to buy it. Message me if your interested

Posted: Dec 11, 2014 at 11:09 Quote
I am looking for a triple crown Marzocchi with the air preload. Was 2010 the last year they produced a fork with the air preload? I know the red volume adjuster below the rebound is a dead giveaway and the 2011 doesn't appear to have it. Some help would be much appreciated!

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020523
Mobile Version of Website