Carbon Ceramic rotors - the future of braking?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Carbon Ceramic rotors - the future of braking?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 23, 2012 at 9:03 Quote
Have been following these guys Kettle Cycles after spotting their Silicon Carbide/CeramicCarbon fiber rotors. They look sick, would be interested to know how they perform. Definitely weight savings to be made if they perform as well as suggested. What do you guys think?

Posted: Nov 23, 2012 at 9:26 Quote
There's another thread about the exact same topic on mehcanic's lounge but still. I'm sceptical, carbon brakes have very particular properties like poor performance when not at peak temperature so I don't know for bike application. I will be lookig at reviews and would definitely like to try them. Until then, not convinced it would be a good idea

Posted: Nov 23, 2012 at 9:35 Quote
MaxAlary wrote:
There's another thread about the exact same topic on mehcanic's lounge but still. I'm sceptical, carbon brakes have very particular properties like poor performance when not at peak temperature so I don't know for bike application. I will be lookig at reviews and would definitely like to try them. Until then, not convinced it would be a good idea

I had a search but couldn't see anything, Doh! Smile Will search harder next time. Yes I'd really like to try them as well. That's my worry is temperature, just the same as carbon ceramic for cars, unless you're on track or drive hard they'll never get up to temperature. Could be good in the wet or in the Alps!

Posted: Nov 23, 2012 at 9:43 Quote
The proper heat can be attained the prolem is the discs will cool much faster than in a car so almost everytime you brake they will have to reheat again to brake properly. This is my main concern.

Posted: Nov 23, 2012 at 10:03 Quote
MaxAlary wrote:
The proper heat can be attained the prolem is the discs will cool much faster than in a car so almost everytime you brake they will have to reheat again to brake properly. This is my main concern.

Very interesting. I think I might buy a set and see what they're like. Worst case they'll make lovely coasters for plates at the dinner table! Smile I think they'll be little modulation, very on/off brakes, but fascinating to see how they work, especially in the wet and muddy conditions I have to ride in when steel rotors offer zero stoppage power! Thanks for your comments!

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2012 at 11:32 Quote
How brittle age they? That's another difference between safely housed car brakes, and bikes.

Posted: Nov 23, 2012 at 12:52 Quote
I'm with Ovadebarz, my concern would be they may be too brittle.. They are used in other applications with success, but in those cases, the rotors are protected. They may be a little too exposed on a mountain bike.. but then again, that's what they said about carbon frames..

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 11:36 Quote
I still ain't convinced on Carbon frames.. I race rarely and I wrap my bike round trees and rocks... A lot!!!

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 18:49 Quote
I like the concept. Eventually, everything will be made of carbon fiber!

Posted: Nov 26, 2012 at 5:40 Quote
I'm not sure how brittle they are. I would hope that kind of thing is resolved with the structure. I do wonder about taking a chunk out of them with a rock strike though instead of just bending them...

Yeah, carbon frames I'm not sure still, I'm sure they're fine, but it's difficult to make them resistant enough to impacts and stresses from all directions without it ending up weighing the same as aluminium, and at least that'll bend before failure.. I love carbon, but I'm not sure on frames still. Components like rotors could be good though, but would like to see how they operate in real conditions.

Posted: Nov 26, 2012 at 6:39 Quote
Pretty sure only downside of carbon compared to steel or aluminum is brittleness but it's definitely more resistant to stress and flexion. If i had money i would go for a carbon frame it's almost superior on all points except price and impact resistance. And it has made its homeworks in many many applications succesfully exceeding expectations. problem with brake discs is very different from frames, and for me a severely bent disc is useless, i wont take the time to straighten it prperly so it doesn't vibrate under braking force

Posted: Nov 26, 2012 at 7:33 Quote
They will never be used enough to stay in optimal heat range.

Ductile iron discs are the way forwards , much better heat transfer properties and a strong bite from cold.

Probably won't catch on in MTB world as iron is not shiny for long...

Posted: Nov 26, 2012 at 9:47 Quote
bigburd wrote:
They will never be used enough to stay in optimal heat range.

Ductile iron discs are the way forwards , much better heat transfer properties and a strong bite from cold.

Probably won't catch on in MTB world as iron is not shiny for long...

This

Posted: Nov 26, 2012 at 10:13 Quote
I've bitten the bullet and have pre-ordered a set 180/160mm two piece, and when they finally arrive in March 2013 I'll let you all know how they are!! They've got a sweet picture of them under severe testing glowing a lovely orange/red... if only I could get that much heat into them.... Ah, Morzine here we come! Smile

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2012 at 11:56 Quote
Very interested on your experience mate

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010990
Mobile Version of Website