Chain Not Gripping

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Chain Not Gripping
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 5:40 Quote
Hey everyone

My chain seems to be sitting the chain ring like in the pictures below then will snap into place and if you are going up hill or just applying alot of pressure it will slip altogether. I can only think of it being that i need a new chain or that i need to shorten the chain. Can anyone help please?

photo

photo

Thank you

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 5:48 Quote
Worn chain or rings

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 5:51 Quote
thanks, hope so much its just a worn chain - is pretty old ha

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 8:53 Quote
Worn chain AND ring.

Rear sprocket/ cassette is most likely knackered too

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 8:57 Quote
Looking at the shape of the teeth, ring is long gone. Kink in the chain, thats toast as well. Might as well overhaul the whole drivetrain.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 12:18 Quote
craaaaaaap! was hoping it'd be the chain at most haha

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 12:24 Quote
You need to replace your chainring, chain and cassette/cog. In future take better care of your chain. If you replace it before it gets too worn (google 'chain stretch') you won't have to replace the other parts so often.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 12:25 Quote
Ring is definitely shot, and chain and cassette are most likely shot to.

If you replace everything at once it'll be cheaper in the long run - having mismatched rings / chain / cassette will just cause the newer components to wear out quicker.

Posted: Dec 3, 2012 at 14:19 Quote
Chainrings there's your problem and a bif of oil on that chain once you replaced the ring wouldn't go a miss. Oil is the cheapest mechanic in the world

Posted: Dec 3, 2012 at 14:57 Quote
temporarily solved the problem by shortening the chain and putting tension on it via the drop outs. Seemed alright earlier but planning on getting a new chain and a chainring too Smile

Posted: Dec 3, 2012 at 18:01 Quote
Plan on a new cassette as well given the shape of your crankring.

Posted: Dec 3, 2012 at 23:58 Quote
Are you using geared set up as single speed?

Posted: Dec 4, 2012 at 2:02 Quote
yeah just because the rear cassette is extremely seized on. Plan is to eventually get a new rear wheel and have that as single speed

Posted: Dec 4, 2012 at 9:29 Quote
Well there's your problem. If you put a penetrating oil on the rear hub it would help or use a inpact gun just be carefull. When you do ss use single speed stuff. Less wear less dropped chains.

Posted: Dec 4, 2012 at 15:18 Quote
Replace your chain a couple times a season and it will give the rest of your drivetrain a lot longer life. Just a heads up for the future.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017401
Mobile Version of Website