How do I remove grips?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How do I remove grips?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 6:07 Quote
I DO NOT want to cut them ( they are brand new ) i just want to know how to take them off , i tryed rubbing them up and down to make them loose but nope . please help give me examples on how to get them off with out cutting them as i said they are brand new and not used i dont want to wreck them

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 6:16 Quote
Ahhh, this can be difficult. There are a couple of different ways to proceed:
1. start at the end of your bar, take some sort of lubricant( I like petroleum) and rub it underneath you grips( once you pull them up a little). Then just keep working them, and adding more.

2. If you have one of those pressurized air hoses, attached to the canister, you can place the end under the side of the grips facing inward(towards the other grip) and release some air, while pulling off the grip. The air should force it off.

3. Just take it to your LBS, they'd probably do it for free

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 6:21 Quote
something I like to use on grips is hairspray. It goes on wet and acts like a lubricant and then dries sticky.

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 6:31 Quote
wd 40 with the the straw

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 6:55 Quote
Thanks Guys i got them off Smile

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 12:42 Quote
i loosen my brake lever and pull that

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:28 Quote
Hairspray is THE best for this....just don't let your mother catch you using her good stufftup

When you spray it, it acts as a lubricant and then dries sticky like mentioned. The best part is, when you go to take your grips off the next time, more hairspray turns the initial stuff into more lubricant, only to re dry later.

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:48 Quote
water does the trick take your bars off dipped them in hot water and remove same with putting them on, make sure you dry them after getting them on so that they wont slip...they will slip for like an hour but the water should go away and they will be fine...

i know you got them off but i thought i should add that in if anyone else wants a simple and cheap solution with out getting out the ol lub...

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:51 Quote
AIR COMPRESSOR !!! Fire air through the hole in the other side and point the far grip at something you want to hit, preferably a friend. Thats the best way to do it.

Mod
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:59 Quote
Non lock-on grips are the world's biggest pain to remove. Do yourself a favor and treat yourself right and invest in some lock-ons. An air compressor works wonders on getting the grips off but not everyone has access to one. Just keep twisting and pulling and repeating.

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 19:00 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Non lock-on grips are the world's biggest pain to remove. Do yourself a favor and treat yourself right and invest in some lock-ons. An air compressor works wonders on getting the grips off but not everyone has access to one. Just keep twisting and pulling and repeating.

lock ones arent all that great, the old bmx grips are better for street, they can relieve alot of stress on your wrists and are really comfy...

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 19:10 Quote
get an air compressor and get the air hose end and shove it in the and a blast ur grip off

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 19:15 Quote
I use hand sanitizer. It goes on like gel then turns liquid which allows you to either seep some into the grip to get off the handlebar, or lightly coat the inside of the grip to easily slide it on. Once it dries it doesn't leave any residue and the grip is on super tight.

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:32 Quote
Get an open ended spanner just larger than the diameter of your bars. Place it around the bar against the grip and tap the spanner with a mallet til it works free. Works fine and your mother won't kill you for using her hairspray or accuse you of solvent abuse.Eek

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 14:23 Quote
either hairspray,or lock ons.

best thing about hairspray is you dont have to wash the oil of if using wd40 or similar.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012034
Mobile Version of Website