does anybody else know the truth about global warming

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
does anybody else know the truth about global warming
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 at 18:09 Quote
If we cut the military budget in half we would be golden.
And so what if they hire people? The majority of people with money don't hire anyone.
You can't expect people to distribute wealth because they won't if they can avoid it.
"We've arrived from every corner of the planet to this nation to seek the fulfillment of a promise of America.
We were promised a better life in our home countries, where we were told that privatizing water and electricity will make things run more efficiently.
Instead the quality remained almost the same and the price was increased until it became an unaffordable luxury.
Some corporations are more efficient than government, but their motivation is not the health or the well being of the people; it's only about profit, everything else: their image, their human resources, their public relations, only exist to protect the reality behind it.
Once upon a time, we were told that nationalization would prevent growth by limiting competition; that our countries were nothing without the companies that invested in us and so they privatized everything. Everything in our country was owned by people that had no connection to our culture, by those who never had our interests at heart, they didn't care about our survival or well being, they just wanted to turn a profit by raping our land, by exploiting our people, our industry and our resources."
And I was referring to when you said god help us.

Posted: Sep 3, 2010 at 20:34 Quote
Gibson, you're missing the point that the corporations CONTROL the gov. So yeah, the government sucks at all this stuff...BECAUSE they're profit driven. Iraq war (for oil), Afghanistan (for minerals), the list goes on and on...ALL THINGS THAT YOU SAY YOU DON'T LIKE. They are driven by profit. To quote another Immortal Technique song "like we're trying to go over there and free them? You don't give a f*ck about those people!"

Posted: Sep 3, 2010 at 20:37 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
Gibson, you're missing the point that the corporations CONTROL the gov. So yeah, the government sucks at all this stuff...BECAUSE they're profit driven. Iraq war (for oil), Afghanistan (for minerals), the list goes on and on...ALL THINGS THAT YOU SAY YOU DON'T LIKE. They are driven by profit. To quote another Immortal Technique song "like we're trying to go over there and free them? You don't give a f*ck about those people!"
Afghanistan is also the top opium producer in the world.

Posted: Sep 4, 2010 at 7:17 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
Another misconception you seem to have is that rich people just make money and no one else benefits. Look at microsoft or any large business. They have a stupid wealthy CEO or owner but they hire thousands and thousands of people.

And a lot of those corporations pay their worker's wages that are either at or below the poverty line while the company rakes in billions. So yes they do create jobs and pay people a wage however they keep their workers in a constant state of zero gain. That's where the "stereotype" of greed is rooted.

Posted: Sep 4, 2010 at 8:37 Quote
I work for essentially minimum wage but thats just a reality of being an unskilled worker. Especially in todays economy. Which is the more reason to subsidize post secondary schooling (as much as I hate the thought I think it'd be great and I'd have no problem with higher taxes if we were doing that). A job is better than no job.

The problem with paying minimum wage workers more money is that it inflates everyones incomes and shortly thereafter will inflate prices. Minimum wage actually hurts more people than it helps. Every time congress bumps up min wage you get a tiny bit of inflation and prices hike up and then they see that and bump it up some more. On top of that people who are making above min wage don't always get automatically bumped up the amount that min wage went up. So now they are making the same amount of money but every thing costs more. and yes I realize this isn't instant its a cycle thats proved itself to be constant

and the majority of people that have money don't hire?? Please, I'd like to see a statistic for that one. Basically what your saying is that more than 50% of rich people have inherited their wealth and just sat on it.

Posted: Sep 4, 2010 at 9:00 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
I work for essentially minimum wage but thats just a reality of being an unskilled worker. Especially in todays economy. Which is the more reason to subsidize post secondary schooling (as much as I hate the thought I think it'd be great and I'd have no problem with higher taxes if we were doing that). A job is better than no job.

Schools are businesses and if you make schooling available to more people, campuses will expand and so will the number of graduates. As that happens, the value of a post secondary education quickly drops and its only a matter of time before you need a 3 year degree to hold that same minimum wage job you have now. Its already an issue that's occuring in the States and in some areas of Canada. For instance, a friend of mine has a 3 year degree in Communications yet he makes about as much as I do as a general labourer with a year of education in an unrelated field.

The other potential is that the schools themselves don't expand but due to the larger amount of applicants, they have to raise standards to the highest percentiles. Eventually the standards for the relevant career choices go sky high and only the smartest can make the grade thereby screwing another class of people out into the cold with no chance of a quality post secondary education.

If complex problems had easy solutions, I honestly believe we'd have solved a lot of them a long time ago.

I would argue that a job isn't better than no job when your pay isn't even covering the most basic standard of living.

Posted: Sep 4, 2010 at 9:45 Quote
Touche... I'll need to shout my mouth about free schooling from now on... I completely overlooked the unintended consequences. Pretty embarrassing being an economics major.

There are no alternatives to being without a job for extended periods of time though. Sometimes you just have to suck it up. My friends dad works two jobs and it sucks, but I admire how hard he works and that he never asks for help. Sometimes life shits on people but like you said there is no easy way to eradicate that problem. Thats why I think its important for people like us (cause lets face it, the majority of pinkbike is fortunate) to help out these people.

Sure the government can give you money, but too many people live their life dependent on these programs

Posted: Sep 4, 2010 at 14:13 Quote
Welcome to the UK. The last government set a target of 50% of school leavers going to university by 2014 or something. The result was that when the results of the most recent year came out in August, roughly 180,000 out of 300,000 students have failed to get a place at either their first o second choice university.

Not a good system. Most people as it is leave university and never use their degrees again, we don't need more of them.

Posted: Sep 16, 2010 at 14:19 Quote
Fun fact...

The world's largest corporations cause $3,000,000,000,000 USD of environmental damage each year. This represents 1/3rd of their total profits.

Facepalm

Oh yeah, this stuff is WAY too expensive to fix...

Posted: Oct 3, 2010 at 21:31 Quote
It's nice see people discussing about global warming in PB since december 2007. I'm geographer almost graduate and for me climate change is a natural process, as fact there is more money in political issues or publicitary campaignes about global warming than in research I guess... Paleoclimatology is a good way to know better the climate as system (that change in the geological time) well, it is just some words that come to my mind. Sorry if my english is that bad, I'm not native speaker.

Posted: Sep 7, 2011 at 8:04 Quote
Just to remind a few people that just because they watched a video on youtube or a documentary on Channel 4 using "experts" employed by the oil industry, it doesn't make them able to decipher worldwide climate data better than the overwhelming international consensus of the scientific community

Ten indicators of a human fingerprint on climate change

If you read a response in the comments from the author, you'll also see two very strong arguments against the 'sun as a cause' theory.

Posted: Sep 7, 2011 at 8:43 Quote
thecolonnadekid wrote:
If we cut the military budget in half we would be golden.

How would you be golden? Just chop out 1.9million jobs out of your economy? Everyone wants to talk about huge budget slashes, and massive subsidizes, yet then bitch and complain about how hard it is to get a job.

Or the idea that we need to stop using oil. We do, but find me a product that is as useful and as diverse as Oil.

Little Slice

Just chopping away at the worlds biggest industry, is a slow and tedious process, the world runs off it. The chair you sit in is made from it, the tires on your bike, the oil in your fork, the lube on your chain, your grips, that life saving EPS in your helmet is all made from it. You aren't going to make this shit from hemp, and elf tears.

But yes, we need to ween ourselves off of it. But we can't without seriously destroying ourselves. We got where we are as a developed nation with cheap energy. Cheap industrialization let us get where we are. With nations like China and India going through a industrialization age, they aren't going to do shit about going green, and they are going to use and bunker oil for energy.

Posted: Sep 7, 2011 at 11:43 Quote
They're gonna have a job if oil continues its upward trend in price.

Posted: Sep 7, 2011 at 12:09 Quote
Still cheaper and more efficient than solar or wind power.

Posted: Sep 7, 2011 at 12:20 Quote
My point being, if this trend continues (and I can't realistically see it not doing so)

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://bespokeinvest.typepad.com/bespoke/images/2008/05/21/oilparabolic1.png
They ain't gonna be having an industralisation age.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010603
Mobile Version of Website