10 speed type 2 on 9 speed cassette

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
10 speed type 2 on 9 speed cassette
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2012 at 21:20 Quote
I have a 9 speed cassette and I would like to run a SRAM type 2 derailler but they are all 10 speed. Can you adjust it to prevent from shifting past the 9 gear?

Posted: Dec 9, 2012 at 22:00 Quote
bpretty wrote:
I have a 9 speed cassette and I would like to run a SRAM type 2 derailler but they are all 10 speed. Can you adjust it to prevent from shifting past the 9 gear?
Not compatible. Different pull ratios and will not shift properly.

Posted: Dec 10, 2012 at 3:38 Quote
shiggy wrote:
bpretty wrote:
Not compatible. Different pull ratios and will not shift properly.
I agree

Posted: Dec 10, 2012 at 8:18 Quote
I'll probably get hanged once more for saying that, but you can mix a Shimano shadow+ 10spd derailleur with a SRAM 9spd shifter, on a 9spd drivetrain.

But that's pretty much the only Shimano/SRAM mix you can do. (and maybe the only 9/10spd mix you can do)

I've been running this mix for 4 months of DH now, and it's still running perfectly smooth, had to adjust the cable tension once (like 3 weeks after I set it up) which is normal if you ask me.

BUT I wouldn't recommend that on a 3x9 setup. Ratios on the derailleur and shifter are similar down to 0.03, which is why it is working fine on a 1x9 setup, but that might be an issue when running 3x9 (or maybe even 2x9).

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008955
Mobile Version of Website