Race Face cranks

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Race Face cranks
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 at 13:34 Quote
I am trying to decide between the Race Face Respond or Atlas cranks. The Respond comes with a Race DH BB and the Atlas comes with Team DH BB. The Atlas comes with a 36T chainring the Respond does not. The Atlas is $205 and the Respond is $90 (but Pricepoint has a chainring for $17). I know the Atlas is a better looking and performing crank but is it for twice the amount?

Posted: Dec 17, 2012 at 7:47 Quote
All depends on how serious you take your riding... If you just want to have fun and ride your bike then go for the Respond. If you want reduced weight, increased strength and better feel then go for the Atlas.

Cranks are the kind of part you buy and use for ages, so it makes sense to splash out.

Posted: Dec 17, 2012 at 14:20 Quote
I know this comes with the territory but I hate to buy the Atlas and break them half way into summer. Odds are I'll go with the Atlas.

thanks bro

Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 10:02 Quote
I have the Atlas cranks and love them. Gotta make sure to install them correctly though as too tight or loose at all creates serious issues quickly! Won't spin at all if overtightened whatsoever and bearing will burn out on one ride if either is wrong. Luckily bearing replacements are cheap and there is even a manufacturer out there making bearing upgrades for them. Not sure if I ride as hard as you do though.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 11:01 Quote
Warburrito wrote:
Gotta make sure to install them correctly though as too tight or loose at all creates serious issues quickly! Won't spin at all if overtightened whatsoever and bearing will burn out on one ride if either is wrong.

Ummm... no, this is not correct. To properly install Race Face cranks, you tighten the driveside crank (for aluminum cranks) down until the crank bottoms out on the spindle teeth. It would be the non-drive crank for carbon Race Face cranks. You cannot really "over tighten them".

If you properly torque the Race Face crank arm down and your bottom bracket bearings have resistance, it means you have the wrong spacer and/or elastomer ring combination in there. Probably means you have to remove the black spacer.

If you have the extra spacer in there, and to compensate you are not tightening the cranks down enough, you will run the risk of damaging the axle to crank interface and destroying your crankset.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 11:19 Quote
You are correct over tightening was an incorrect term. Thank you for clarifying. Race face has a very comprehensive write up on about this on their site.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 18:13 Quote
Warburrito wrote:
I have the Atlas cranks and love them. Gotta make sure to install them correctly though as too tight or loose at all creates serious issues quickly! Won't spin at all if overtightened whatsoever and bearing will burn out on one ride if either is wrong. Luckily bearing replacements are cheap and there is even a manufacturer out there making bearing upgrades for them. Not sure if I ride as hard as you do though.

Can you give us the manufacturer making these bearings? I love RF cranks but their BBs suck lol.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 14:10 Quote
Run both atlus and respond, with hope BBs, both spin and work fine.

Whats to decide ? pay more or pay less

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 20:26 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
Run both atlus and respond, with hope BBs, both spin and work fine.

Whats to decide ? pay more or pay less
Just ordered some. It's amazing to me that raceface hasen't redesigned their BBs at this point.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005981
Mobile Version of Website