Help Deciding on Used DH/FR.

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Help Deciding on Used DH/FR.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 15, 2012 at 17:20 Quote
So I'm thinking about buying a used DH/FR bike to try this upcoming season to see if I like the discipline. I currently ride hardtails not only XC but also DJ and even occasionally the Parks at Canyons and Deer Valley. My budget is around 1000 give or take one or two hundred if the bike is a great deal. Locally this is what I've found.

Kona Stinky 08, looks like the owner has done some nice upgrades. The bike has it's normal wear from rocks, cable rub
etc... The Fork stanchions are clean.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=23131703&cat=191&lpid=66&search=

or

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=22015757&cat=&lpid=&search=Jamis%20bam%201

Based on the info from both the owners the bikes are in great shape, especially the Bam 1. Although it's an 09 he bought it last year new from Jenson with one season on it. Again this bike looks very clean but from what I've read Jamis bikes have a tendency to break very easily, sometimes with little usage. Is there any truth to this? should I be concerned if Jamis is the route I take? Or should I stick with the time tested stinky and work on some upgrades for this bike. The prices listed are not what I have negotiated to pay, it will be less.

Thoughts?

Posted: Dec 15, 2012 at 17:40 Quote
My thoughts: I took a look at the numbers on both bikes, and the geometry on both is pretty similar. The main differences I can see have to do with the seat tube angle and stand over hight, the stinky has a steeper ST angle, which should make it marginally better if you ever have the need to sit and spin on the way to a trail. The stand over hight is lower on the stinky too, which would be a little more confidence inspiring if you're new to the whole FR/DH stuff, might also affect how low the centre of gravity is.

One more thing to consider, I would think that an 08 stinky would be a little easier of a resell compared to the jamis, but thats just my opinion. If it was me I would choose the stinky, simply because I trust those particular kona frames.

Posted: Dec 15, 2012 at 17:50 Quote
What are your thoughts on the age of the frames? The Kona is an 08 and according to the owner has has ridden it quite a bit. The 09 Jamis wasn't ridden until last season.. Which do you think will give me overall mileage based on build quality and track record?

The base line specs in my opinion are very similar combined with some branded items from the parent companies that make the frames. The Kona looks like ti has more after market additions, but I guess the fact that the Jamis has less time on it makes me think I'll get more mileage out of the bike in the long run.

Posted: Dec 15, 2012 at 18:10 Quote
That's a really tough call, without knowing anything about the persons riding style, how big they hucked, jumped it, etc.. Im still leaning towards the kona, simply because personally, I'd feel more comfortable going fast, jumping and dropping on an 08 kona that's been ridden a lot compared to a 09 jamis that hasn't done much. I would recommend you give the frame a real good once over before you buy, check every nook and cranny, in between the seat and chain stays, around the bottom bracket and head tube etc.. Look for any signs of distress in the paint and metal, aside from the usual nicks and scratches.

It really comes down to the reputation of these two frames, I haven't really heard much about Jamis's FR/DH frames, whereas stinky's and stabs of that era seem to take abuse very well. While you may be right about the jamis having more "life" in it, I just haven't seen any of them around that've seen a lot of hard riding, that could simply be because they're a less popular bike company. Bottom line is as long as the previous owner hasn't been completely thrashing that stinky since he bought it, it should still have some years left in it. And if you decide you really like bombing the downs, a newer frame would start to look appealing, that's where the nicer build kit would come into play.

It's all very complicated, but that's just my 2 cents.

Posted: Dec 15, 2012 at 18:28 Quote
Thanks for your input! Frames aside any words on the specs listed for these two bikes? It looks like the suspension components are identical or very close, both are running Avid Juicy 5s I believe. The Stinky owner claims his build is custom so the specs don't seem to match what Kona lists on their archive website.

Posted: Dec 15, 2012 at 18:53 Quote
They're both pretty close, but the stinky does have a few bits that give it an edge over the jamis, the rims, crankset/bashguard, Headset, rear shock, and by the sounds of it, the fork should be in good shape. It might need some new tires though lol I'm just not to sure about the drivetrain on the stinky, it would be a matter of wear and tear, and wether anythings been replaced. But after looking at the ad I'm sure it's not too bad.

Posted: Dec 15, 2012 at 19:03 Quote
Thanks for your input, my gut is telling me the Stinky.

Posted: Dec 15, 2012 at 19:18 Quote
No problem! I'm no expert by any means, but if there's any info in my head that can be useful I'm glad to share. Tons of these type of threads go unanswered lol

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 at 20:17 Quote
I went with the 08 Stinky. I think the first few purchases will be new pedals, grips, rubber and maybe a sticker set or "tape" to match the blue look. The frame has its usual paint nicks and chips but overall nice bike for a beginner I think.

Overall

Overall

Overall

photo

Side Shot

Posted: Dec 19, 2012 at 1:02 Quote
Good choice. I would have chosen the same thing.

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 at 9:52 Quote
Got this baby used Smile

photo

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014500
Mobile Version of Website