Beginner in trial bike

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Beginner in trial bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 18, 2012 at 23:18 Quote
hello i ride until today only downhill and all mountain bikes and i want to get into trial,rolling trial..
should i get a 20inch bike or 24?
also can i buy a dirt bike as commencal max max or ns holy and wuth a stem and handlebar make it right for trial??
thank you

Posted: Mar 26, 2013 at 5:03 Quote
i disagree with your bike suggestions, if your wanting to learn all the 'pure' trials moves, it's a world of easier to do it on a dedicated seatless machine with the right geometry.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 8:48 Quote
I would say that a 20" trials bike is best to learn on because I started on a 26" bike and then it got stolen so I bought a mod (20") and my progression shot through the roof.

I have no experience on a 24" whatsoever so I can only say what I have heard from the guys who have ridden for a long time and have trustworthy opinions. 24" seems to be a compromise of both 20 and 26" bike, but not particularly in a good way. However everyone is different so who knows the 24" size could be the bike that you learn the best on

tup

Posted: Mar 30, 2013 at 10:36 Quote
Plus a reasonably light and sturdy 20" mod, is not gonna break the bank.
Not quite so for a 24".

Magura Smile

Posted: May 9, 2013 at 12:45 Quote
Let me necro this and ask as well....

I *can* pay for anything I want, that is not my issue, so beyond that:

I am not a good bunny hopper. At all. I need to get better at my pure vertical. I can hop over stuff trail riding just fine, and I jump like the average lame white guy on a bike, but my BH vert is terrible.
I don't like the rolling resistance of 20" wheels; I've never gotten into BMX for this reason.
One of my fav. bikes of all time was a 24" BMX cruiser that I used for playtime and athletic 7-11 runs.
OP and I are obviously new to Trials, so given that, I don't want to have something with a ton of carbon on it that will kill me inside if I break. That may be just me, at least...
I (maybe not the OP though) want to be able to do street style trials, as well as more traditional vertically oriented stuff as well. (I actually work at a precast concrete plant with a TON of concrete forms stacked up EVERYWHERE... jackpot?)

Given this, will a mod be wrong for me, and will it be better to go straight to a 24" and stick there?
OP might be better on a mod? Yes / No?

Thanks guys!

Posted: May 9, 2013 at 13:12 Quote
You gotta decide, if you want a trials or a street bike.
A street bike is a dog for trials, being too clumsy and heavy, and a trials bike will not survive street.

For learning, a 20" mod of nice quality, is the ticket.
Once you got it nailed, other options may appeal as well.

Magura Smile

Posted: May 9, 2013 at 13:30 Quote
Ok. That is a great answer, except all I know I DO want to do is what you say is two different things: "Street Trials".... Confused

I'm not Danny Mac, and I never will be, NOR will I be Ryan Leech et al, but my user scope will fall somewhere in the middle. (Not my skills... never my skills...)
I swear, there's got to be something out there for me that's not a tank, like my first choice; I was looking at a Czar Street Trials complete. Good looking rig, little better trials geo than the Inspired, good spec, but I just dunno, you know?

I was looking at a 20" Neon Bow complete, in that nighted-out black setup... Not so shabby!

Thanks!

Posted: May 9, 2013 at 14:42 Quote
The Czar is just one big compromise Wink

It won't survive street, and is not really a trials bike.

A 20" Echo mk2-Ti is currently where you get the best bang for the buck.
It's quite light, works well, and has fine specs.

Magura Smile

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 6:13 Quote
I FIGURED MYSELF OUT!

I'm not a comp rider, duh. No need to explain that.

I'm not really ever going to be a street trials rider, because I'm not the BMX street type, and I'll never get that skilled or flowy.

I'm a THS rider!!!

So what you think of an Echo Mark II 24" complete for that style? Traditional trials geo, but better rolling resistance than a mod and less bulk than a standard....

Thanks!

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 7:49 Quote
"Tap, Hop, Stop" style riding.... What they *say* is the most prolific and popular style about urban England!

Thanks!

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 10:57 Quote
A 20" will make learning easier.

If you have your mind set on a 24", the Echo Mk 2 will do the job well.

Magura Smile

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 12:54 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
A 20" will make learning easier.

If you have your mind set on a 24", the Echo Mk 2 will do the job well.

Magura Smile

I have no doubt you're correct, and my research backs you up with that statement, but I was never comfortable with the 20" wheel size on a BMX, so I think if this is going to be a successful experiment, I'll have to get closer to my "natural" 26" environment.

Yeah, I think the MkII is really growing on me. It's pretty sexy in that graphite colorway!

Thanks!

Posted: May 14, 2013 at 11:13 Quote
SO I PULLED THE TRIGGER!!!

....You'll yell at me....

I got a 26" Neon Bow custom build off a guy here on PB in the buy/sell pages.
He posted where he bought it, and I checked with the shop owner / builder, and he verified the build and everything, so it looks like I'll just be a grandfathered customer for the man!
He also told me that the Bow is a pretty relaxed riding style, and that he thinks I will enjoy it quite a lot.
I may have more issues learning at first, but this was quite the good deal as well, so I'm not too worried, TBH.

Thanks for all the input fellas! Pics when it arrives!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014533
Mobile Version of Website