Should i ride brakeless?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Should i ride brakeless?
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 13:28 Quote
Why do I have to do something to understand it? I have to say I never understood that. I have broken cables and ridden brakeless until I got a new one, and hated every minute. Does that mean I never gave it a chance? Do I need to do acid every day for a year or can I just look at the brain dead guys in the corner and think maybe it's a bad decision? IMO I knew enough about me, and enough about riding to understand it's a bad call.

One experience was a 10-12' double at the trails and as I come over the landing there was a kid standing on the flat before the next lip. I hit the brakes in the air and skidded down the landing. Missed her by less than a foot. Her fault for sure, but she was a little kid and I would have felt like crap if I had of smoked her. It's not all about you.

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 13:40 Quote
Surely this is the dumbest thread ever?

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 15:35 Quote
ChiliPepper1 wrote:
LiamMortlock wrote:
when it comes to frames you can actually drill through and put removable tabs on but it's not recommended. Foot jamming all day today at the local skatepark lol
Yeah, you never heard of rear wheel foot jams (using your foot to slow the bike down or as a brake)? Rolleyes

They do that a lot here at skateparks or bike parks. Other words running without any brakes with the exception of rear braking with foot (shoe). Wink Jeez! Facepalm
Yes I do but someone said something about being unable to put brake mounts on a frame

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 15:41 Quote
The-Appy wrote:
It has turned into a debate on whether brakeless is a good thing/ idea or not, it is not dumb it is actually very insightful. If you think this thread is dumb don't post.

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 15:44 Quote
LiamMortlock wrote:
The-Appy wrote:
It has turned into a debate on whether brakeless is a good thing idea or not, it is not dumb it is actually very insightful. If you think this thread is dumb don't post.
lol lol lol lol

Spot on!!! Beer

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 15:45 Quote
LiamMortlock wrote:
ChiliPepper1 wrote:
LiamMortlock wrote:
when it comes to frames you can actually drill through and put removable tabs on but it's not recommended. Foot jamming all day today at the local skatepark lol
Yeah, you never heard of rear wheel foot jams (using your foot to slow the bike down or as a brake)? Rolleyes

They do that a lot here at skateparks or bike parks. Other words running without any brakes with the exception of rear braking with foot (shoe). Wink Jeez! Facepalm
Yes I do but someone said something about being unable to put brake mounts on a frame
My bad! Wink

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 15:51 Quote
ChiliPepper1 wrote:
LiamMortlock wrote:
The-Appy wrote:
It has turned into a debate on whether brakeless is a good thing idea or not, it is not dumb it is actually very insightful. If you think this thread is dumb don't post.
lol lol lol lol

Spot on!!! Beer

+1

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 0:52 Quote
The original post was about riding street, obviously using a brake for other types of riding is pretty essential. I'm only referring from a street perspective (and a bit of park) and riding brakeless does take time to get used to, if you don't like it that's up to you....

If you ride right foot forward then your right foot should be the one you'd naturally put on your tyre for footjams. It's also easier to hop over the tt starting the tailwhip than finishing it. But there isn't really a wrong or right way of doing it

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 3:43 Quote
LiamMortlock wrote:
The-Appy wrote:
It has turned into a debate on whether brakeless is a good thing/ idea or not, it is not dumb it is actually very insightful. If you think this thread is dumb don't post.

Yes, but the issue has been covered so many times it's pointless.

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 10:51 Quote
the OP did not use the search and as it is such a big debate among us it will always come up every so often, usually due to someone new asking the question "should I ride brakeless?". This always sparks a big conversation and the usual response is no and why. This thread became a debate on the pros and cons of brakeless. You find it pointless, that's because you've seen this topic so many times as have many of us, others (usually newer members) have not seen this topic and have seen a large proportion of us riding brakeless and has asked themself "should I?" and then ask on here.

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 11:43 Quote
LiamMortlock wrote:
the OP did not use the search and as it is such a big debate among us it will always come up every so often, usually due to someone new asking the question "should I ride brakeless?". This always sparks a big conversation and the usual response is no and why. This thread became a debate on the pros and cons of brakeless. You find it pointless, that's because you've seen this topic so many times as have many of us, others (usually newer members) have not seen this topic and have seen a large proportion of us riding brakeless and has asked themself "should I?" and then ask on here.
thats right
and again thank you all about the answer and i am not riding brakeless because i have a lot of traffic in my area and i need to stop every sec so its uncomfortable and dangouros
and i have 1 more question i am riding with my right foot forward but when i try footjam tailwhip its alot easier to me to put my left foot on the front wheel is its ok?

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 12:56 Quote
Yeah most people from what I know put their back foot (your left) on the tyre to FJ.

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 13:13 Quote
LiamMortlock wrote:
Yeah most people from what I know put their back foot (your left) on the tyre to FJ.
ahh ok thank you

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 13:20 Quote
I use my right to FJ as I am left foot forward

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 15:17 Quote
Actually most people use their front foot. You can use your back foot but that usually means having to do jump over the frame with both feet to land. And unless your goofy footed you will end up doing footjams with the foot closest to the coping .

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019832
Mobile Version of Website