What are these things called?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
What are these things called?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 21:30 Quote
hope pro 3's are pretty much the same, just with straight pull spokes and a 4 bolt rotor pattern?

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 21:36 Quote
rob-c wrote:
hope pro 3's are pretty much the same, just with straight pull spokes and a 4 bolt rotor pattern?

True, but a few riders I know that flew with them were always having issues with them, just the HP 3's. They all went back to the HP's

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 18:23 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
alecazam13 wrote:
So how do you tell how loud they are when you buy them...?

See the pic above? Hold the big red thing on one hand, the big silvery thing in the other hand and twist. Try more than one brand and you will notice the difference immediately.

Thanks smart ass. I meant, how do you tell if I were to order them online...

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 18:44 Quote
alecazam13 wrote:
nidgeslash9 wrote:
alecazam13 wrote:

See the pic above? Hold the big red thing on one hand, the big silvery thing in the other hand and twist. Try more than one brand and you will notice the difference immediately.

I really don't think he was being a smart-ass, just be a bit funny though (sense of humor per say)...lol lol lol

One sure fire way if not present in purchase is.... The more pawls the better, the more contact points the better, which usually means the higher the price the better the hub gets pretty much. It is really not the clicking, buzzing, or rattling sound that counts, it is the best engagement that matters.. This gives you instant power when loading (power cranking), especially when you need it the most. The sweet sound is just a positive attribute to some and a annoyance to others.

The I-9's I have have 6 pawls and 120 contact points. Most hubs have 2 to 3 pawls tops, but the better hubs have 4 to 6 pawls. Profile hubs have 240 contact points I believe, so that's why they are so annoyingly loud and sound so damned mechanical. Personally, that is just overkill...lol

Check out this video I have held onto for awhile....

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/work-freehub-body.html

The second hub is what the I-9 sounds very similar too.

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 19:30 Quote
ChiliPepper1 wrote:
alecazam13 wrote:
nidgeslash9 wrote:

I really don't think he was being a smart-ass, just be a bit funny though (sense of humor per say)...lol lol lol

One sure fire way if not present in purchase is.... The more pawls the better, the more contact points the better, which usually means the higher the price the better the hub gets pretty much. It is really not the clicking, buzzing, or rattling sound that counts, it is the best engagement that matters.. This gives you instant power when loading (power cranking), especially when you need it the most. The sweet sound is just a positive attribute to some and a annoyance to others.

The I-9's I have have 6 pawls and 120 contact points. Most hubs have 2 to 3 pawls tops, but the better hubs have 4 to 6 pawls. Profile hubs have 240 contact points I believe, so that's why they are so annoyingly loud and sound so damned mechanical. Personally, that is just overkill...lol

Check out this video I have held onto for awhile....

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/work-freehub-body.html

The second hub is what the I-9 sounds very similar too.

Thank you! Yeah, I already have good hubs on my Bottlerocket, I was just wondering if it was something that I needed to tweak, or add to make it louder... Smile Thanks!

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 19:43 Quote
alecazam13 wrote:
Thank you! Yeah, I already have good hubs on my Bottlerocket, I was just wondering if it was something that I needed to tweak, or add to make it louder... Smile Thanks!

Your welcomes! The only way to make your existing ones louder is to remove some of the lube (grease) from around the pawls, which some do.

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 20:38 Quote
ChiliPepper1 wrote:
alecazam13 wrote:

Your welcomes! The only way to make your existing ones louder is to remove some of the lube (grease) from around the pawls, which some do.

Is that recommended? Would it change the function of them? And how MUCH louder? Haha thanks for your input! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 20:48 Quote
alecazam13 wrote:
Is that recommended? Would it change the function of them? And how MUCH louder? Haha thanks for your input! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

1) Not really, but it will not hurt them or their function/operation, as long as you leave ay least some lube (grease on the pawls and contact area). To make them quieter, just add more lube (grease).

2) No, it will not change the way they operate, just less lube (grease).

3) Not very much louder, but they will be louder though. Its like submerging something in water and it is muffled, but take it out, and it will be louder. This is the same effect (as per sound) when you pack more lube (grease) into them.

Your welcome bro! Anytime, as that's why we are here, to help out other brothers! Beer

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 21:08 Quote
alecazam13 wrote:
nidgeslash9 wrote:
alecazam13 wrote:

I wasn't trying to be smart. You never mentioned online purchase and you get some really dumb questions on this forum occasionally.

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 21:33 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
alecazam13 wrote:
nidgeslash9 wrote:

I wasn't trying to be smart. You never mentioned online purchase and you get some really dumb questions on this forum occasionally.

That's alright... Just sounded like it... Razz Haha. Thanks though!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011559
Mobile Version of Website