MTB Morzine...

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
MTB Morzine...
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 6:56 Quote
Just booked to holiday to Morzine France... 1 Week of Mountain Biking in one of the nicest scenic places on the planet.

Has anyone else been or going?

Whats your views on the place?

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 7:24 Quote
shanej2k wrote:
Just booked to holiday to Morzine France... 1 Week of Mountain Biking in one of the nicest scenic places on the planet.

Has anyone else been or going?

Whats your views on the place?

Ive been a couple of times and heading out again this summer. Is this your first trip out there?
Theres an existing thread on here already if you want to check it out as well https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=59197&pagenum=1

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 7:26 Quote
Its my first time, going with brother hes been before...

We are going in july so hoping for some good riding weather...

Did u go there for XC or DH?

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 7:35 Quote
shanej2k wrote:
Its my first time, going with brother hes been before...

We are going in july so hoping for some good riding weather...

Did u go there for XC or DH?

We're out first week of July, ive gone the same time in the past and managed to get good weather so fingers crossed again (last trip the week before and after mine it chucked it down!)

We go out there for the DH stuff as lift assisted ridings something you generally dont get alot of opportunity to do in the UK

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 7:52 Quote
True, although around where I live there is currently 2 that offer uplifts and another opening mid year this year aparently with ski lifts Big Grin ...

Just hope morzine doesnt take its toll on me coz Im a bit of a rusty rider...

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 7:59 Quote
shanej2k wrote:
True, although around where I live there is currently 2 that offer uplifts and another opening mid year this year aparently with ski lifts Big Grin ...

Just hope morzine doesnt take its toll on me coz Im a bit of a rusty rider...

Yer I read about the proposed lift assisted bike park a while back, I think it would be a assive hit if it opens as planned!
None of us are Dh riders and manage fine, the main complaint from a couple of the lads was hand/arm pump. One of the lads barely rids and managed most of the week alright (he did miss a day or two though).

If the weathers good it can take a bit out of you as well, we had 36 degrees on day in Chatel

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 9:28 Quote
did a week in les gets (next town up from morzine) a couple of years ago, more trails than you can shake a stick at and as the other commenter said, the chairlifts are a novelty that never wears out. the trails were predominantly DH and in some cases my group were at the limit of their abilities on some. some are very steep and rocky, we were on hired HT bikes which were by no means shabby but totally unsuitable for the terrain tbh. at the bottom you could barely move your hands (which was in part due to the awful weather we had unfortunately) and the brakes were shot too, protip make sure the bike you're using is suitable for the trails you're riding (kinda obvious but we were noobs back then).

the nightlife in les gets was pretty dead tbh, but that was hardly surprising at an average price of 6euros a pint. we ended up just buying from the supermarkets, beer and wine are cheaper than the UK we found.

we did this one day which was sick

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 14:36 Quote
Hi,

We're heading out for the first week of July as well, doing the PDS this year.

Only advise it it's steep, the trails are graded the same as in the UK, Green – easy / family, Blue – Moderate, Red- intermediate, Black – Severe. But in the Alps this grading is slightly warped. Green = a red UK XC trail, Blue= a Black UK XC trail but all drops are ride-able and they are twice as steep and a massive leap up from Green trails, Red = pretty much the same as Blue, Black = could be anything!

I'm the least confident rider you will ever meet and love it out there.

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 0:53 Quote
Elpedro: Ye I seen the ads etc for this zip line... Looks amazing and we are all definitely going to try it! I love things like that...

Gayle: Ye brother has give me the low down on the color coding out there and told me if I hit something which is black rated... Prepare to wake up in hospital lol...
Im not a bad rider and hopefully by time we go I would of had a bit more practice and managed to hone my jumping and drop off skills a bit more...

All I can say tho is I cant feckin wait!!! Gonna be amazing

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 6:21 Quote
were out early july to. wicked place to ride. take plenty of money as its expensive to go to the bars but everything else ok. if self catering the supermarkets are great value. we got a bagguette and soft drink each day for lunch for about £2-£3. beers were about £5.50 a pint of desperados but well worth it. im going to get linched here but avoid mutzig as its real cat piss lol. at least i thought so.

we went july 14 last year and had an amazing week of hot weather. met a few peeps inc gayle above and her fellow and loads more. Salute

organise a pb meet up at the top of plenney. see you there...jase.

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 15:54 Quote
We're heading over late August, looking forward to it

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 15:57 Quote
shanej2k wrote:
Elpedro: Ye I seen the ads etc for this zip line... Looks amazing and we are all definitely going to try it! I love things like that...

Gayle: Ye brother has give me the low down on the color coding out there and told me if I hit something which is black rated... Prepare to wake up in hospital lol...
Im not a bad rider and hopefully by time we go I would of had a bit more practice and managed to hone my jumping and drop off skills a bit more...

All I can say tho is I cant feckin wait!!! Gonna be amazing

I'm trying to get as much UK practice as possible before we go, hoping to try Antur Stinog and Inners... You will love it out there, I'm more of a trail/xc rider and I loved it so DH'r must think they have died and gone to heaven.

Will have to arrange another PB meet, was fun to put faces to names

Posted: Jan 28, 2013 at 13:54 Quote
Cannot believe the comment about Mutzig?
If you want to grow a bigger pair Mutzig is the baby!

Seriously you will have a blast, take it easy on day 1 then let rip.
Just remember you are on holiday what does it matter how much a beer costs, enjoy yourself!

Group of 15 going early July.

Posted: Jan 29, 2013 at 0:17 Quote
All I know is Im getting a little more excited every day lol!

Havent had alot of riding time tho Frown ... Literally only been on bike 4 times in last 3 years Blank Stare ... And my skill is pretty LOW actually very LOW....
But I try lol...

Posted: Jan 29, 2013 at 10:04 Quote
seriously mutzig is like eskimo dogs balls sweat in a glass. get desperados down your neck lol. 7 pint jug with ice and lime for 40 euro, oh yeah baby. loads out there to do for inexperienced riders right upto pros and chicken runs on lots of trails so take it easy and dont wory. most important thing to enjoy yourselves, pointless going home on a stretcher just to show your mates you got big balls.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011919
Mobile Version of Website