Chainmail as armor?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Chainmail as armor?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 17, 2013 at 15:18 Quote
I know this is probably a stupid idea, but it kind of makes sense.. Any falls that would be road rash/cuts/scrapes/whatever would be just impact bruises. It would be a tad heavy, but it would protect your chest and back (and wherever else covered by it) from cuts?

http://www.swordsofmight.com/chainmail-t-shirt-48-chest.aspx
something like this for the chest

I know we have pressure suits and stuff for the top, but maybe chainmail leggings?
It's just a stupid idea that came to mind.

Posted: Jan 17, 2013 at 21:28 Quote
Sport specific pads are probably going to be of comparable price, offer superior protection, and be a hell of a lot more comfortable. I just don't think there's much of a point.

Posted: Jan 19, 2013 at 7:18 Quote
this is kind of dumb no offense hahaha. chain mail will not absorb any impact. there is a reason why research goes into making mtb gear -- it is designed to help you in event of a crash and absorb impact. why spend $85 on chainmail when you can find solid mtb core armor for that price?

Posted: Jan 19, 2013 at 7:54 Quote
also, that chainmail is for looks, not actual protection, its RPG stuff...

Posted: Jan 19, 2013 at 12:17 Quote
i used that chainmail as an example.
And the thought behind it is it would keep rocks/trees/whatever from piercing skin.

Posted: Jan 19, 2013 at 12:48 Quote
fair. you know actual protective chainmail will be around 5x the price, and about 10kg for a vest? its highly impractical. best thing is a full pressure suit, and if your still worried about piercing then add a motocross roost protector over the top

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 20:56 Quote
Don't listen to these haters. It is a great idea. The "armor" they sell in bike shops is crap. You need to order that chain mail armor. It will definitely keep trees from piercing your skin. PLEASE post some pictures. lol

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 21:12 Quote
Gonzo is right. I retract my statement. Start the chain mail trend. Let us know how it goes!

Posted: Feb 12, 2013 at 16:58 Quote
Nah. I won't even be downhilling much this year due to school =/

Posted: Feb 12, 2013 at 18:20 Quote
you might still need it on your way to school so trees don't pierce your skin

Posted: Apr 1, 2013 at 23:39 Quote
And also, chain mail isn't effective against anything that pierces, as it was used mainly to protect from sword and club hits, but was not very helpful against arrows...

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 at 17:26 Quote
Is this because you saw my comment on something? If so, I was joking :S

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.110282
Mobile Version of Website