noob with boxxer service questions

PB Forum :: Downhill
noob with boxxer service questions
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 18, 2013 at 20:25 Quote
New rider here with a few boxxer questions. I have a pair of what I believe are 06 boxxer race forks. I recently picked them up used but they couldnt have been used much as they are in excelent shape. So anyway, I would like to change the oil but cant find much info. Can someone help me out with this? Thanks.

Posted: Jan 19, 2013 at 8:59 Quote
Lube oil will be either 10 or 15 cc in each outer leg (haven't worked on an older boxxer in a while so numbers might be off). To do so remove the bolts at the bottom of the fork, loosen them first then hit with a rubber mallet to unseat the damper rods, then remove the bolt the rest of the way. Now pull the lowers off and clean/grease seals/reinstall/add oil. If you want to do the damper you will need to look up the oil volume online then pull the damper apart from the top and go from there.

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 16:12 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Lube oil will be either 10 or 15 cc in each outer leg (haven't worked on an older boxxer in a while so numbers might be off). To do so remove the bolts at the bottom of the fork, loosen them first then hit with a rubber mallet to unseat the damper rods, then remove the bolt the rest of the way. Now pull the lowers off and clean/grease seals/reinstall/add oil. If you want to do the damper you will need to look up the oil volume online then pull the damper apart from the top and go from there.

Rockshox say 10mm for damper side, 40mm for spring side in the lower legs..

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 16:51 Quote
They like to be a little on the safe side. If you service the spring side push rod and such regularly you will be fine with the 10ml, even less if you change it more often.

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 21:53 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
They like to be a little on the safe side. If you service the spring side push rod and such regularly you will be fine with the 10ml, even less if you change it more often.

No worries.. I just did mine today.. But the way I see it is, a bit more lube (well the 40mm) on the spring side is probably beneficial to keep it all lubed nicely,,

The thing that surprised me, and the same was for my mates forks, no oil came out of the spring side just a bit of runny grease which was obviously from the grease and oil mixing together. But you would think if they put 40 mm in then, some should come out.. They are new boxxers too, this was their first routine service. The damper side was fine, probably a little less than the 10mm came out. Little bit dirty and I've probably only done 15-20 hours of actual riding on them but, the seals were reasonably clean.

I didn't grease my seals as they tell you to do. I used a little fork oil to lube them up before sliding the stanchions in. I've always gone by the rule of thumb that you lube seals depending on what they are used for. For example, brake seals lubed with break fluid... fork seals lubed with fork oil..bearing seals lubed with grease.. After all, that is what's in there so anything else is foreign.. Plus I don't want grease mixing with oil on my damper side..

Posted: Feb 22, 2013 at 4:00 Quote
15-20 hours is way to long in my opinion.

The oil that you are changing is just lube oil, not damper oil. Grease mixing with it is of no concern because the damping oil never touches the seals.

Grease will stay in the seals much longer than the oil will, and they make a suspension specific grease for this purpose.

Posted: Feb 22, 2013 at 5:47 Quote
its 5-10 hours less than what rocksox recommends. Anything less than that is overkill. Yeah maybe if your riding extremely muddy and wet conditions but, even then, if your seals and dust wipes are working properly you shouldn't get dirt in there in that short a time.
Yes I realise that the 15wt oil isn't damping oil.
You say its just lube oil, well lube is important. Why would you want to stooge on 30ml of oil that costs less than $20 a litre when your forks are worth $1000+?

Were talking 15-20 hours of actual riding, the oil is fine for the seals. Plus I wash my bike after every ride and drip some fork oil around my dust wiper and cycle the fork a few times. It is smoother than grease.

Posted: Feb 22, 2013 at 8:11 Quote
Mud will rarely ever find its way into a fork, dust on the other hand.

Would you buy a fork if they actually reccomend that it see a minor service every 5 hours? No. More oil and a longer period of time is much easier to sell.

Anyway, if its dirty change it, if its not dont.

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 at 6:05 Quote
Quick question, i havr some 08/09 race with leaky stan seals and have purchasef betd enduro seals amd was wonderin, how eady is it to change them and correct oil heights pls. Thanks in advance.

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 at 18:57 Quote
Harder than it is to use proper spelling, and that seems to be a major issue.

Posted: Jun 10, 2013 at 0:20 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Harder than it is to use proper spelling, and that seems to be a major issue.
haha very funny, i'm usin a mobile which is on its way out.

Posted: Jun 11, 2013 at 21:20 Quote
Almost all of the boxxer service manuals are online and they will tell you what weight oil you need and how to change it yourself.

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 at 0:49 Quote
DHman008 wrote:
Almost all of the boxxer service manuals are online and they will tell you what weight oil you need and how to change it yourself.
thank u, will check it out.

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 7:28 Quote
Hey guys I just bought a Boxxer RC 2010 (unused) so I tried to change oils in order to have it ready for anew ride.
I noticed that the oil in the spring side lowers can insert the spring chamber. Is that OK?
I mean I opended the spring chamber in order to grease the spring itself and it was bathed in oil from the lowers!
Is that normal. That never happened in my RS single crown domain that i had so far

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 11:22 Quote
gapos999 wrote:
Hey guys I just bought a Boxxer RC 2010 (unused) so I tried to change oils in order to have it ready for anew ride.
I noticed that the oil in the spring side lowers can insert the spring chamber. Is that OK?
I mean I opended the spring chamber in order to grease the spring itself and it was bathed in oil from the lowers!
Is that normal. That never happened in my RS single crown domain that i had so far
If i remember right the spring side upper is not properly sealed from oil, its inevitable that some oil will ingress from the lowers over time, however there should not be a large amount of oil in the spring side lower anyway ~40ml if i remember correctly.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013107
Mobile Version of Website