Gloves vs. bare hands

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Gloves vs. bare hands
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 8:37 Quote
As the title says, who rides with or without gloves?

I ride with gloves, originally because i hated bare hands slipping around, and eventually got used to it and like it

While ill probably always wear gloves when doing bigger jumps or harder tricks, just derpin around bare hands feels nice, but i cant find a really gummy sticky grip that caters to the sweaty palm syndrome.

If you ride with gloves, what do you wear?

If you ride bare hands, what grips do you use?

If you ride bear hands, wut?

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 14:45 Quote
haha. Gotta rep the bear hands.
I ride bare, but prefer to wear gloves. Most of the bike shops near me are road bike oriented, so I need to go out to a mtb/bmx shop to pick up a pair. I've been lazy though, and haven't really had any troubles so it's just one of those things that I keep putting off.
I'm using the Black Market lock on grips, and like them so far. Back in the day I always preferred Fox Sidewinder gloves, and also rode ODI Ruffian grips bare handed for a long time. I remember those being pretty grippy.

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 17:24 Quote
I prefer thin gloves, with lock-ons like ODI ruffians etc. I'm not too picky on gloves, usually mismatched minimal protection dakines. For some strange reason grips seem to last a very long time for me.

Not a fan shredding in the heat with sweaty palms trying to hold onto my grips. Or when it rains. I like the glove traction.

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 18:09 Quote
Anything thin glove I absolutely LOVE Fly Racing's "Lite" glove series.

Gloved or gloveless I ride ODI Ruffian Lock-On's. Best grip I've ever used.

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 2:23 Quote
gloves, why would you not lol

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 2:28 Quote
I was probably 11 years old when i went over the bars and landed palms first in the gravel. That would have been the last time i ever rode without gloves.

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 2:54 Quote
I haven't used gloves in a long time, I just think you get a better feel with bare hands, I have never tried thin gloves but just got used to riding with bare hands now

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 3:38 Quote
tld xc all day. feels like an extra layer of skin
and odi x trainer are great for no gloves

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 4:32 Quote
no gloves with renthal kevlar grips!

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 6:30 Quote
I can't ride without gloves for more than a few minutes... too much sweat.

I use gloves from the hardware store. Currently have a couple pair I'm happy with and both were under $10. They seem to outlast any bike specific gloves.

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 7:29 Quote
jamesbland wrote:
no gloves with renthal kevlar grips!

When I had my Renthal Kevlar grips I ran gloveless too when messing about and they felt brilliant.

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 8:15 Quote
Gloves helped me when i hit a tree and landed on rough ground.. so i always wear them now Smile
i agree that you can feel the bike better without gloves, but they're so thin that they barely affect my riding

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 8:50 Quote
Psoulocybe wrote:
I can't ride without gloves for more than a few minutes... too much sweat.

Wanna know a quick solution ?

Grab some dry sand/dirt and "wash" your hands with it. I garuntee your palms won't sweat and you'll have phenomenal grip.

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 9:05 Quote
Bmxerch, I've been riding a bike for 26 years. Trust me when I tell you it doesn't do shit for my hands.

I also want to ask how you think dirt will prevent sweating?

The only thing I know of that works to curb the sweating for a bit is antiperspirant, but it doesn't improve my grip.

Thanks for your guarantee.

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 11:47 Quote
i think its because canadians dont sweat. a decent amount of videos comming out of BC this winter have had bare hands riders, i cant even imagine how frozen their hands are.

my palms get sweaty so fast. and agreed, dirt, sand, chalk, i still sweat through it within minutes

those odi ruffians look like a nice choice for both

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012989
Mobile Version of Website