Why do people use chain tensioners?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Why do people use chain tensioners?
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Jan 26, 2013 at 14:14 Quote
Like this one below?
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.flatoutcycles.co.uk/ekmps/shops/flatoutcycles/images/dmr-chain-tensioner-sts-1265-p.jpg
I understand people using them when they have back suspension however isn't this pointless on a bike without a rear shock?

Posted: Jan 26, 2013 at 14:43 Quote
if you have vertical dropouts and go singlespeed theres no way of getting a perfectly tensioned chain unline horizontal dropouts where you can slide the wheel back. so fitting one of them takes up the slack in the chain

Posted: Jan 26, 2013 at 14:47 Quote
A couple of my friends use these. Basically it a bike that is made for gears has the reah mech. Then say if someone want's to make there bike single speed and they shorten the chain it will be a bit slack. The idea of the chain tensioner is to basically do the job the rear mech does but not for gears, just to hold it in one place.

Posted: Jan 27, 2013 at 13:35 Quote
chris-adam-media wrote:
if you have vertical dropouts and go singlespeed theres no way of getting a perfectly tensioned chain unline horizontal dropouts where you can slide the wheel back. so fitting one of them takes up the slack in the chain
^ This i kinda understand

CraigLittle wrote:
A couple of my friends use these. Basically it a bike that is made for gears has the reah mech. Then say if someone want's to make there bike single speed and they shorten the chain it will be a bit slack. The idea of the chain tensioner is to basically do the job the rear mech does but not for gears, just to hold it in one place.
^ this i do not?

Surely you'd just take links out of the chain?

Posted: Jan 27, 2013 at 15:08 Quote
you wont be able to get it tight though....itd be slapping all over the place

Posted: Jan 27, 2013 at 17:20 Quote
chris-adam-media wrote:
you wont be able to get it tight though....itd be slapping all over the place
Only if there was rear suspension?
surely the only way it could slap all over the place would be if your wheel moved?
bmx's for example don't have this problem

Posted: Jan 27, 2013 at 17:51 Quote
It's used with vertical dropout. you can take a link out but that will not create the perfect length that would not require adjustment. Like with horizontal dropout you just slide the wheel back in the drop out to pick up slack. There is no room for adjustment like that with a vertical dropout that's why that tensioner is used to pick up the tension.

Posted: Jan 27, 2013 at 18:37 Quote
WeRideMtb wrote:
chris-adam-media wrote:
you wont be able to get it tight though....itd be slapping all over the place
Only if there was rear suspension?
surely the only way it could slap all over the place would be if your wheel moved?
bmx's for example don't have this problem
No...HT as well, but as long as it has vertical drop-outs.

A HT with horizontal drop-outs you can just slide the wheel back or forward to tighten or loosen (or slacken) the chain. Horizontal drop-outs is what a BMX has, and most dedicated DJ's as well. This tensioner does help with chain slap, but only for frames (bikes0 with vertical drop-outs. A chain-stay protector is still recommended though with these. They also make these vertical drop-out tensioners in a spring loaded version, as this specific one is a bolt down.

This DMR rear chain tensioner is to prevent a slack chain on frames (bikes) with vertical drop-outs. Look at one of my HT's with vertical drop-outs. It is this same DMR chain tensioner that keeps the chain snug....

The newer and improved IH Gashira FR HT. She rides so sweet and hammers the big step-downs and DJ s. The frame came with a 160mm travel fork but I dropped it to 100mm DJ1 and after awhile shredding I just did not like that fork for hucking bigger DJ s FR in general . The Totem on it now or or a Lyric seems to be a popular fork for this bike among FR ers and it handles so much better with the Totem.

Posted: Jan 28, 2013 at 18:55 Quote
ChiliPepper1 wrote:
WeRideMtb wrote:
chris-adam-media wrote:
you wont be able to get it tight though....itd be slapping all over the place
Only if there was rear suspension?
surely the only way it could slap all over the place would be if your wheel moved?
bmx's for example don't have this problem
No...HT as well, but as long as it has vertical drop-outs.

A HT with horizontal drop-outs you can just slide the wheel back or forward to tighten or loosen (or slacken) the chain. Horizontal drop-outs is what a BMX has, and most dedicated DJ's as well. This tensioner does help with chain slap, but only for frames (bikes0 with vertical drop-outs. A chain-stay protector is still recommended though with these. They also make these vertical drop-out tensioners in a spring loaded version, as this specific one is a bolt down.

This DMR rear chain tensioner is to prevent a slack chain on frames (bikes) with vertical drop-outs. Look at one of my HT's with vertical drop-outs. It is this same DMR chain tensioner that keeps the chain snug....

The newer and improved IH Gashira FR HT. She rides so sweet and hammers the big step-downs and DJ s. The frame came with a 160mm travel fork but I dropped it to 100mm DJ1 and after awhile shredding I just did not like that fork for hucking bigger DJ s FR in general . The Totem on it now or or a Lyric seems to be a popular fork for this bike among FR ers and it handles so much better with the Totem.

Now that has explained it very well to me appreciate it understand it completely now

Posted: Jan 28, 2013 at 19:44 Quote
WeRideMtb wrote:
Now that has explained it very well to me appreciate it understand it completely now

No worries and glad to be of assistance. You planning on getting one of these vertical drop-out tensioners?

Posted: Jan 28, 2013 at 20:26 Quote
ChiliPepper1 wrote:
WeRideMtb wrote:
Now that has explained it very well to me appreciate it understand it completely now

No worries and glad to be of assistance. You planning on getting one of these vertical drop-out tensioners?
Just recently bought a dmr drone so that won't need them plan on upgrading it and then changing frame and xfering parts
tbh i do alot of dh/fr so im kind of new to this hence all the questions

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 13:59 Quote
Any recommendations for the most durable tensioner? I'm building a NS Surge Evo free ride hard tail, singlespeed.

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 15:10 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
Any recommendations for the most durable tensioner? I'm building a NS Surge Evo free ride hard tail, singlespeed.
joking? you dont need a tensioner with that frame it has sliding dropouts. the surge is specifically designed to be able to run without gears..

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 15:10 Quote
and without tensioner.

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 15:13 Quote
my old surge. has allen key bolts which allow the dropout to slide...

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007858
Mobile Version of Website