Drivetrain Questions/9 to 10 speed Conversion

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Drivetrain Questions/9 to 10 speed Conversion
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2013 at 7:54 Quote
Here's my situation:

I'm going to buy a 2nd hand freeride bike in the next two weeks. The bike is currently equipped as a single speed with X-9 components (1x9). I would like to make it a duel ring bike. I have recently won a set of Shimano XTR shifters, and front/rear dérailleur (10 speed).

Here are my questions:

1) Should I even consider trying to use my new Shimano swag? Or should I try and sell it to get cash to put towards this upgrade? (Is XTR more for cross country as opposed to freeride/AM?)

2) If I do utilize the new Shimano Swag, that means I would have to go to a 10 speed cassette. Do I also have to change the rear hub to put a 10 speed cassette on it?

I would really appreciate any thoughts on the best and most cost effective way to do this upgrade. If you have any suggestion on components I should buy, I would also appreciate the feedback; as I don't know a lot about whats out there for a duel ring/freeride like setup.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2013 at 8:17 Quote
Nothing wrong with running XTR on a freeride/DH bike. It's up to task. Yes it's focus is lightweight/xc ... but it's sturdy stuff. You would need a cassette and chain. 10 speed, I recommend XT or better. You do not need a new hub. I would would hang that XTR on your bike and sell the SRAM...

Posted: Feb 1, 2013 at 8:19 Quote
DARKSTAR63 wrote:
Nothing wrong with running XTR on a freeride/DH bike. It's up to task. Yes it's focus is lightweight/xc ... but it's sturdy stuff. You would need a cassette and chain. 10 speed, I recommend XT or better. You do not need a new hub. I would would hang that XTR on your bike and sell the SRAM...

Cool! I totally appreciate your opinion on that. Now I just have to go check the model number of the XTR stuff and make sure the front dérailleur is meant for dual ring, I imagine that there are differences?

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2013 at 8:21 Quote
I dont know on that, whether or not there are two different front XTR mech ... but that being said, a front derail that is designed for 3 ring can always be set up for double ring. I think you would be ok whatever it is. What are the cranks on this bike? Do you have the provisions for two rings?

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2013 at 8:57 Quote
Hmmm, thats's a sweet frame... but it may acually be an issue. What mounting type is the front mech?

Posted: Feb 1, 2013 at 8:58 Quote
Oh really? Transition used to sell these frames kitted with for AM which had a double ring on it.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2013 at 9:03 Quote
Using an e-type mech (bb mount) ...

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2013 at 9:08 Quote
Ok I was digging around the internet on these Syrens and what people are running for front derailleurs. Looks like a "high-mount" Shimano will work. http://www.silentrevolution.com.au/forum/topics/2010-transition-syren-medium?xg_source=activity

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2013 at 9:10 Quote
It was looking to me like the gusset for the shock would be in the way ... but a high mount will work. It also has to be "top-pull" so I guess It will depend on what this XTR unit you have is.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009850
Mobile Version of Website