Anyone still riding Giant AC? post them here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone still riding Giant AC? post them here!
Posted: Jul 14, 2018 at 1:42 Quote
So many different anwsers on the rear shock I just ordered this guy at 200x51
:
photo

also what do you think of this it kind of reminds of a AC for some reason

photo

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 11:20 Quote
From Megavalanche 2018. Awesome place, tracks and everything Big Grin

[PV=https://www.pinkbike.com/video/489573/]

[PV=https://www.pinkbike.com/video/489575/]

Videos link dont work :/ I put them like this

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/489573/
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/489575/

France Alpe d Huez
France Alpe d Huez
France Alpe d Huez
France Alpe d Huez

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 21:00 Quote
bananos wrote:
From Megavalanche 2018. Awesome place, tracks and everything Big Grin

[PV=https://www.pinkbike.com/video/489573/]

[PV=https://www.pinkbike.com/video/489575/]

Videos link dont work :/ I put them like this

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/489573/
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/489575/

France Alpe d Huez
France Alpe d Huez
France Alpe d Huez
France Alpe d Huez

Amazing that you rode an AC and FINISHED on it at the 2018 Mega!!! Well done and it speaks volumes about how ahead of its time the AC was.

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 18:02 Quote
Hey All,
I own a bone stock AC, I believe it's a 2005 (Green Frame). I absolutely loved the bike until I demoed a 2017 Trek Remedy last year up in Mammoth. I'm an old dude, so it's not like I get crazy but I love all the trails in Mammoth. Just happened on this tread and I can't believe the interest still in this bike. So, now I'm thinking, before I drop thousands on a new bike, maybe just upgrade this one? What's a good fork upgrade for this bike, and how would I know what fits? I'd really like to change out to the new single front sprocket set up too. Since my gear set has seen some miles anyway. I'm mostly taking the lifts to the top.

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 7:06 Quote
RonSJC I'm not sure what to suggest tbh

Here's my bike, I need to sell it but I'm not sure whether its going to be better to sell it in bits or as a whole. Any suggestions?

It's a bit of a classic, especially if you put the red spring back on, look fly AF and brings you back to earlier days when all mountaibike wheels were the same size lol

Boxxer 98's! (or 97's im not entirely sure).

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 9:03 Quote
iainmcfly wrote:
So many different anwsers on the rear shock I just ordered this guy at 200x51
:
photo

also what do you think of this it kind of reminds of a AC for some reason

photo

This Xc bike looks ac ish for sure. I don't trust those rocker links, too skinny. they will fold for some users imo

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 9:10 Quote
ronSJC wrote:
Hey All,
I own a bone stock AC, I believe it's a 2005 (Green Frame). I absolutely loved the bike until I demoed a 2017 Trek Remedy last year up in Mammoth. I'm an old dude, so it's not like I get crazy but I love all the trails in Mammoth. Just happened on this tread and I can't believe the interest still in this bike. So, now I'm thinking, before I drop thousands on a new bike, maybe just upgrade this one? What's a good fork upgrade for this bike, and how would I know what fits? I'd really like to change out to the new single front sprocket set up too. Since my gear set has seen some miles anyway. I'm mostly taking the lifts to the top.

Thanks!

I'd ditch it. I had a 2004 AC1. it was good for the day, but modern bikes are better in many ways. In the Giant range the current Reign is leap years from where the AC is. Also inspect your BB chain stay yoke carefully, its a common crack area.

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 9:52 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
ronSJC wrote:
Hey All,

Thanks!

I'd ditch it. I had a 2004 AC1. it was good for the day, but modern bikes are better in many ways. In the Giant range the current Reign is leap years from where the AC is. Also inspect your BB chain stay yoke carefully, its a common crack area.

Thanks, I think I might do both. Moderate upgrade of the AC and poke around for a good used Remedy or Reign later this year.

So, to that end, I'm looking for a fork upgrade, but not sure what to look for. I think I need a 1 1/8 straight steer tube at least 7 in long? If I use the stock wheel and hub am I looking for a 20mm axle? Any suggestions out there, I'm thinking at least 150 travel.

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 12:57 Quote
2001 Giant AC1 Built for cruising

This bike and I have a long history together, even though I've just taken ownership for the first time recently. A friend bought it brand new, and shortly there after bought a brand new Azonic Eliminator. When we road DH trails, like Red Box or Mt Lowe to JPL, he road his Azonic which allowed me lots of miles on this '01 AC1. It was the very first FS bike I ever road. Years later I would build an '06 AC as my primary trail bike. Also owned his Azonic Eliminator for about a year, before selling both the '06 AC and the Azonic to fund my '09 Reign build.

Skip ahead to 2018, I recently bought a 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson CC. But still needed a cruiser bike... and this '01 AC1 was collecting dust in his garage. He wanted to sell a carbon Santa Cruz v10, I helped with the sale and he gave me the old frame. Excited to keep it in the family, and happy to repurpose the old AC. Feels like its beginning a new life!

Shout out to Buena Park Bicycles for the final touches on assembly. Appreciate the customer service.

P.S. Original owner is a professional fabricator. Added a rear shock mounting bracket to allow a 7.875 rear shock. It was easier to find the Fox RPL for a price worthy of the build. Salute

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 16:00 Quote
ronSJC wrote:
lifted-d wrote:
ronSJC wrote:
Hey All,

Thanks!

Thanks, I think I might do both. Moderate upgrade of the AC and poke around for a good used Remedy or Reign later this year.

So, to that end, I'm looking for a fork upgrade, but not sure what to look for. I think I need a 1 1/8 straight steer tube at least 7 in long? If I use the stock wheel and hub am I looking for a 20mm axle? Any suggestions out there, I'm thinking at least 150 travel.

Sounds like you've got most of the specs, including that the fork should be for 26" wheels. I had a Fox Float on my '06 AC. It came off of a 2011 Reign, and had a tapered steer tube. I was able to find a cheap Fox Float upper with a 1 1/8 steer tube and swapped it over. Ran a Fox RP23 in the rear and loved the set up.

I just posted a Marzocchi 55R 160mm on Orange County Craigslist. tup

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 17:16 Quote
someone chime in if you cabn confirm or correct me , but i think ac frames can accept a 1.5 taper steerer, but you need to sort out which headset combo it is. I recall some large bearings oem and to fit a reg 1 1/8 headset there were adapter rings that would allow that.

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 7:42 Quote
I'm getting back on the bike after a 10 year layoff. I'd love to resurrect my beloved AC2 but I can't seem to confirm the headset issue. What I would love is some one to give me the big dumb explanation of if this frame can indeed run a tapered fork with what headset.
Also, has anyone attempted a 27.5 conversion?

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 10:01 Quote
LuckyPSD wrote:
I'm getting back on the bike after a 10 year layoff. I'd love to resurrect my beloved AC2 but I can't seem to confirm the headset issue. What I would love is some one to give me the big dumb explanation of if this frame can indeed run a tapered fork with what headset.
Also, has anyone attempted a 27.5 conversion?

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/cane-creek-40-series-44-tapered-headset I believe this is the key. measure to confirm the ht bore/depth

I still think spending real money on the old platform is of questionable value. If you can do it on the cheap right on. but these rides are getting old and if you need new brakes and rear shock service, plus other misc it will get pricey real fast to refurb.

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 10:28 Quote
lifted-d wrote:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/cane-creek-40-series-44-tapered-headset I believe this is the key. measure to confirm the ht bore/depth

I still think spending real money on the old platform is of questionable value. If you can do it on the cheap right on. but these rides are getting old and if you need new brakes and rear shock service, plus other misc it will get pricey real fast to refurb.

Exactly what I needed, thank you kindly sir. I agree that it's not the wisest way and I have just purchased a brand new bike for serious riding. This is more a labor of love, an ongoing project that is more about putting the old girl in new clothes if you will

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 18:36 Quote
slightly a little different from before haha (the end cap feel out haha)

Bike upgraded

Looking to change to 12x1 Soon and chuck a 650b upfront

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.044802
Mobile Version of Website