Anyone still riding Giant AC? post them here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone still riding Giant AC? post them here!
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
Hotboost wrote:
Hi just scored a AC2 2007 17” project missing rear shock and brakes.
Firstly I have bought a 32t middle narrow front chainring.
I have a spare set of of 160mm disk brakes cable setup I’m going to throw on it to get it rolling.Ill get around to putting the bigger brakes back once I work out which way to go.
But the most important question I have is which rear shock are people using with out having to do mods.
Can’t believe I’ve stumbled over this site and thread and there is so many AC guys here.
Thanks for taking to read my post.

For Rear Shock you have a ton of options. You can run air or coil, piggy back or single shaft. For this bike, regardless of what you pick I would advise something with a lever to switch quickly to a Firm or Lock-out for climbs, and an Open for descending (lots of old-school pedal bob if you don't have this). A three position would be even better, Locked-Firm-Open (Climb-Trail-Descend) etc. And if you go air I would advise either a large volume single shaft or a piggy back.

Also, start on page one of this thread and enjoy!

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 20:23 Quote
Hey All,

Brand new here, discovered this thread researching the Giant AC because Im looking at a 2005 thats been in storage for the last 9 years. Price is $350 and I can barter on part of it. The bike looks great, everything works but the frame is an 18” and Im 6’4”. I know it's not perfect but can I make this work or should I pass on this because of the size? Im a casual rider so Im not concerned about performance, but I like the bike for its design and features. I’m pretty sure its all original. Thanks in advance!

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 20:26 Quote
Alta9800 wrote:
Hey All,

Brand new here, discovered this thread researching the Giant AC because Im looking at a 2005 thats been in storage for the last 9 years. Price is $350 and I can barter on part of it. The bike looks great, everything works but the frame is an 18” and Im 6’4”. I know it's not perfect but can I make this work or should I pass on this because of the size? Im a casual rider so Im not concerned about performance, but I like the bike for its design and features. I’m pretty sure its all original. Thanks in advance!

skip it, i'm 5'8" and found the 18" too short in tt, you will be like a circus bear lol

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 8:12 Quote
Ok I get that and kind of figured ti would be the case. What about for parts? Is it worth a couple hundred $ for the brakes, wheels, shifters, suspension parts, and derailers, or is it just all too obsolete? I added a photo of the bike to my profile page. Not a great pic, but youll get the idea.

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 8:42 Quote
Alta9800 wrote:
Ok I get that and kind of figured ti would be the case. What about for parts? Is it worth a couple hundred $ for the brakes, wheels, shifters, suspension parts, and derailers, or is it just all too obsolete? I added a photo of the bike to my profile page. Not a great pic, but youll get the idea.

if its the bike in your pics Id say hard no, that is a last gen AC They had lower spec parts and the frame design is meh, with a budget shock. don't get me started on the manitou fork with 9mm axle. and yes at this age in todays era of different standards i don't think many parts are useful

save for a different bike

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 8:24 Quote

Bought this bike back in 2000, I think its the original AC. The only original parts left are the saddle, cranks and bb, always figured I'd replace them when they broke or wore out, but they're still going strong. It's a size large and weighs about 33.5 pounds currently

Significant upgrades;
125mm KS Drop Zone dropper post
Stan's Flow rims - 27.5" front & 26" rear
DT Swiss 350 rear hub 10x135 thru bolt
Stan's Neo front hub 15x110 thru axle
Cane Creek DB IL Air rear shock
DVO Beryl 27.5" 160mm fork

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 20:16 Quote
This thread brought a tear to my eye, My first real mountain bike was a 2002 AC2, that I got as a demo bike sale back in 2002. I still think about the AC all the time as it was my first exposure to the sport. I used to actually change the travel on the rear link during the rides to climb and descend, that old RS piggyback coil was pretty primitive. I also used to wind down my Psylo coil U turn to climb, which at the time I didn't know why but it just climbed betterRolleyes .

Anyways, that 2002 AC really shaped in my head what my "Do-it-all" bike has to be able to do.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 20:23 Quote
TSR497 wrote:
This thread brought a tear to my eye, My first real mountain bike was a 2002 AC2, that I got as a demo bike sale back in 2002. I still think about the AC all the time as it was my first exposure to the sport. I used to actually change the travel on the rear link during the rides to climb and descend, that old RS piggyback coil was pretty primitive. I also used to wind down my Psylo coil U turn to climb, which at the time I didn't know why but it just climbed betterRolleyes .

Anyways, that 2002 AC really shaped in my head what my "Do-it-all" bike has to be able to do.

Well said, agree on all points. AC was ahead of its time. Welcome to the thread.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 0:15 Quote
vaIve wrote:
Life story incoming... sit tight.

My 2005 AC has had a few different setups.
It's a 17" satin black. This year model was significantly cheaper than the ACs that came before it, and it showed in the base spec.

Here it is stock back in late 2004. Rear shock wasn't fun.

Here it is after some upgrades in 2007.
2005 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Freeride1
Manitou Swinger 4 way
MTX 34 Wheelset
lock on grips
Saint Brakes w 203mm rotors

Here it is as an 50km/h mid drive e-Bike in 2013 - (this was awesome alternative to a car... just a bit too frankenbike.

...and now in 2018 - reborn as a trail bike so I can go ripping with my 9yo son Smile

Spec changed slightly, dropped the front rings, and put on my Truvativ Holzfeller Urban 34T cranks up front.

I'm about to swap those 2.3 Verticals for some 2.4 Trail Kings this weekend.
vaIve wrote:
That's more like it.
TrailKings have a lot more height than the verticals - may need to drop that mudguard.

Awesome story, dig the pictures, its truly All Conditions. Kudos!

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 9:43 Quote
STR76 wrote:
vaIve wrote:
Life story incoming... sit tight.

My 2005 AC has had a few different setups.
It's a 17" satin black. This year model was significantly cheaper than the ACs that came before it, and it showed in the base spec.

Here it is stock back in late 2004. Rear shock wasn't fun.

Here it is after some upgrades in 2007.
2005 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Freeride1
Manitou Swinger 4 way
MTX 34 Wheelset
lock on grips
Saint Brakes w 203mm rotors

Here it is as an 50km/h mid drive e-Bike in 2013 - (this was awesome alternative to a car... just a bit too frankenbike.

...and now in 2018 - reborn as a trail bike so I can go ripping with my 9yo son Smile

Spec changed slightly, dropped the front rings, and put on my Truvativ Holzfeller Urban 34T cranks up front.

I'm about to swap those 2.3 Verticals for some 2.4 Trail Kings this weekend.
vaIve wrote:
That's more like it.
TrailKings have a lot more height than the verticals - may need to drop that mudguard.

Awesome story, dig the pictures, its truly All Conditions. Kudos!

Love this, the Giant AC lives on!

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
Just got done putting a bunch of used parts and clearance parts on a old AC frame I found on craigslist. Im happy how it turned out.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 5:17 Quote
2002 Giant AC1 2007 Rockshox Pike 426 coil uturn Avid Juicy 7 brakes 2x9 SRAM x.9 drivetrain Raceface atlas cranks chromag seat shimano saint pedals 26x2.25 Michellin tires Single Track Rims
2002 Giant AC1
2007 Rockshox Pike 426 coil uturn
Avid Juicy 7 brakes
2x9 SRAM x.9 drivetrain
Raceface atlas cranks
chromag seat
shimano saint pedals
26x2.25 Michelin Wild Rock'R MTB tires
Sun Ringle Single Track Rims
RockShox Deluxe Rear shock(RIP snapped yesterday)

started riding again this year and was riding this bike up until yesterday when the shock snapped... pulling the trigger on a new one today looks like. will probably replace the shock and keep it around... always loved the bike and owned it for AGES! (since like 05 or something)

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013854
Mobile Version of Website