Anyone still riding Giant AC? post them here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone still riding Giant AC? post them here!
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 0:41 Quote
A GIANT XTC A1 not sure how to download a photo

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 7:47 Quote
joefong5693781 wrote:
Here's my ride after repaint and rebuild

SPECS:
Frame: Giant AC1 2005
Fork: Rockshox Domain 302 160MM uturn
Shock: Fox Float R
Front Wheel: Atomlab Pimplite with Atomlab Pimp Hub
Rear Wheel: Mavic 823 with Hope Hub

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 12:07 Quote
joefong5693781 wrote:
Here's my ride after repaint and rebuild

SPECS:
Frame: Giant AC1 2005
Fork: Rockshox Domain 302 160MM uturn
Shock: Fox Float R
Front Wheel: Atomlab Pimplite with Atomlab Pimp Hub
Rear Wheel: Mavic 823 with Hope Hub

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 18:02 Quote
New to the group.
I have a 01 XTC trying to install a tapered tube fork.
What adaptor set do I use?
Thanks in advance.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 8:43 Quote
Sndbgr wrote:
New to the group.
I have a 01 XTC trying to install a tapered tube fork.
What adaptor set do I use?
Thanks in advance.

The AC have 44mm HT internal diameter and 8mm depth. So you can use cups that match that. If the cup depth is not correct I think that you can use some kind of spacers or grind away the excess depth on the cup.

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 at 17:31 Quote
Try Cane Creek for an adaptor...

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 6:47 Quote
Hi, If anyone is indeed of a like new swing arm for there AC I have one in dark blue.
Phil

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 21:11 Quote
Hey gang Smile So considering a local purchase of an AC, and partly i want to buy and install a mid-drive motor and mount a battery! Can anyone tell me the measurements of the front triangle for a size Large? Inside the front triangle is the only sensible mounting place i'll consider, i don't want a backpack, everything on-board Smile Would appreciate anyone that knows the measurements and can share to help me decide to purchase! The current rear show is a coil and does not have a piggyback... Wink

thanks so much everyone!

Posted: Mar 25, 2021 at 16:50 Quote
Hay TrailSnail22 I came across this example some time ago. It might be helpful to have a vision how it will look. https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2361561850795812&id=1803439236608079&set=a.1808142459471090&refid=13&__tn__=%2B%3D

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
Hey Folks,

Long time lurker - I loved reading through this history and evolution. It helped get my 2001 XTX AC1 back on the trials pre-pandemic, so thank you to all those who contributed!

With that being said, I feel like it might be time to move on after bringing it back to life. My main complaint and hill-climbing steeper grades, I can't seem to keep traction. My other come to Jesus moment came up when I tried to find replacement 26" tires and found 2. I ride in southeastern New England (USA) terrain, mostly hard packed, rooty, rocky, more uphills than downhills. I've been looking into the Yeti SB130, Santa Cruz Hightower, Canyon Specta, etc with around 130 - 150mm front/rear or thereabouts.

My question to you folks with so much experience with this machine, is it worth updating to something more modern? Will I immediately notice $5k USD worth of difference?

Thanks!

Nathan

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 8:13 Quote
Long time lurker here too :-).

I'm on a very similar boat, resurrecting my 2002 AC1. TBH, it depends on what bike you're willing to buy. I don't think you will notice a $5K better ride, but undoubtedly bikes like a Nomad or a Hightower are modern machines.

The AC1, while an excellent bike, isn't up to date regarding things like geometry, wheel size and perhaps fork post. The latter can be solved with an adapter since the headtube allows you to use a 1.5 fork (check this very same thread), but the other two are what they are. The AC1 is still a fun setup and can keep up with a lot of bikes. While a lititle bit aged but fun and still up to date on the trails with some small compromises.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money expecting a linear relation between amount spent and ride improvement and I seriously think you won't be happy buying one of those bikes and expecting a 5K better ride. That won't happen, the AC1 is actually a good all around ride.

Rather, I would spend the money to be up to date, as in more modern geometry and a current wheel size. But if you're riding your bike for fun, I would say keep the AC1 until it breaks, and then spend big cash on a new up to date bike.

Best,
Seb

bradburyn wrote:
Hey Folks,

Long time lurker - I loved reading through this history and evolution. It helped get my 2001 XTX AC1 back on the trials pre-pandemic, so thank you to all those who contributed!

With that being said, I feel like it might be time to move on after bringing it back to life. My main complaint and hill-climbing steeper grades, I can't seem to keep traction. My other come to Jesus moment came up when I tried to find replacement 26" tires and found 2. I ride in southeastern New England (USA) terrain, mostly hard packed, rooty, rocky, more uphills than downhills. I've been looking into the Yeti SB130, Santa Cruz Hightower, Canyon Specta, etc with around 130 - 150mm front/rear or thereabouts.

My question to you folks with so much experience with this machine, is it worth updating to something more modern? Will I immediately notice $5k USD worth of difference?

Thanks!

Nathan

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 22:15 Quote
Hip guys. I read all 118 pages tonight. Going to do a little make over on my 2005 Giant AC next month. It was gone through years ago and I replaced: Forks, front wheel, bars, brakes, shifters, cranks.. probably a few others. I’m looking to get back on the bike and do some light trail riding in so cal.

From reading everything, it looks like the shock is 7.5” x 2.0. When I take my shock off and droop out the rear, it can measure about 7.875” but from what I hear that’s not recommended. Going to go with a 7.5” air shock.

Main goal is to do a 1X conversion. Currently has a Shimano Deore 3X Crank. Easy swap out if I get a new Deore 1X? Will I need to replace the BB?? Any advice is appreciated.

The other change will be brakes. 180mm front and 160 rear. I have Avid Juicy on there now but the rear caliper is seized and they are old/ outdated. Most likely going with Shimano setup.

Forks, Wheels, seat, bars, etc. are all staying as is for now. Just want a smoother, lighter setup to cruise around and have fun. Not going to be bombing any trails. Not yet.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 21:37 Quote
Nice man.
That’s a good looking AC.
Welcome to the club. The whole thread at one time is a lot to take in haha.
As long as you get the same style crank, you should be fine with using your existing bottom bracket. You might even consider using a single narrowide chainring on your current cranks until you’re ready to swap out the chain and cassette for more gearing.
And yeah, stick with the 7.5x2 shock. You’ll be happy you did.
-Cheers

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
Thanks poolguy55.. yes that’s the plan.
I think I can go with a 1x shimano crank. Does spindle length vary much? I checked my chain line and a few other measurements and looks close.

Next would be a rear derailleur. Anyone use a sunrace cassette? Came across those and looks decent.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.170531
Mobile Version of Website