The Zerode Thread.

PB Forum :: Other
The Zerode Thread.
Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 10:26 Quote
I'm lighter at 160lbs, but my zerode has been the most reliable bike I've ever had. Normally I go thru drivetrain parts pretty often but I've literally never replaced anything drivetrain-wise on my Zerode. It's been flawless to me. After 3 years on the same chain and chainrings, I'm moving to a belt-drive, but I could have def got another season out of them.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 14:09 Quote
I’m only 140 lb, but I ride lot of days,and I didn’t have problems, super happy nothing broke never let me down

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 10:58 Quote
[Quote]
Rotary shifters are the better choice for gear boxes - triggers for derailleurs.
[/Quote]

Ok, do you have any argument to back that up or you are just sayin ?

As I detailed in my previous post triggers are superior to rotary in 99% of aspects but maybe I should just say that rotary suc*** Big Grin

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 20:56 Quote
derekr wrote:
Hi Everyone

I'm looking into getting a pinion frame built up and was curious about durability. I figured Zerode owners may have some experience beating on their bikes and wanted to find out if anyone has had issues with their Pinion Gearbox. I'm curious as I'm 6'6" 210lbs and am pretty hard on conventional drivetrains. I noticed the Pinion C-line manual states the max rider weight as 243lbs which concerned me a bit.

Anyone have any comments on stuff they've broken?

Thanks!
Derek

I'm 187cm and 97kg. Haven't experienced any issues so far with the gearbox Smile Just did a full service and new cables though.

Got rid of the weird forks and went to some 38's the local shop had in stock for a hot deal.
38 s

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 13:51 Quote

Ive had no dramas with the pinion so far, im about 100kg. It does pay to check the crank pinch bolts every now and then though.
Anyone keen to drop the cash for some Wasp carbon cranks? They were the only aftermarket upgrade i came across..

As far as the shifter goes, its been a bit of a drama getting 100% settled after using standard trigger shifters for over 20 years, but the last few rides are getting a lot more comfortable.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 7:38 Quote
mulisha-man wrote:

Ive had no dramas with the pinion so far, im about 100kg. It does pay to check the crank pinch bolts every now and then though.
Anyone keen to drop the cash for some Wasp carbon cranks? They were the only aftermarket upgrade i came across..

As far as the shifter goes, its been a bit of a drama getting 100% settled after using standard trigger shifters for over 20 years, but the last few rides are getting a lot more comfortable.
Are you happy whit the belt??

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 21:02 Quote
Yea absolutely, ive had no problem with the belt at all. Rattle free shredding is so good!

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 7:25 Quote
SweatyHogg wrote:
derekr wrote:
Hi Everyone

I'm looking into getting a pinion frame built up and was curious about durability. I figured Zerode owners may have some experience beating on their bikes and wanted to find out if anyone has had issues with their Pinion Gearbox. I'm curious as I'm 6'6" 210lbs and am pretty hard on conventional drivetrains. I noticed the Pinion C-line manual states the max rider weight as 243lbs which concerned me a bit.

Anyone have any comments on stuff they've broken?

Thanks!
Derek

I'm 187cm and 97kg. Haven't experienced any issues so far with the gearbox Smile Just did a full service and new cables though.

Got rid of the weird forks and went to some 38's the local shop had in stock for a hot deal.
38 s

Finally got tired of all the questions about the bike/fork?...
Main reason I don't have a Zerode.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 7:55 Quote
code26 wrote:

lmao you cant go for a ride without at least one person asking about the bike

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 6:57 Quote
I find that the bearings in the Pinion KS1.2 chain tensioner, tend to wear out quickly.

The shop which I bought my bike from had drilled an extra hole to allow them to reposition the spring and increase tension. I believe that this may be shortening the life span of the bearings.

I have relocated the tension spring so that it is in the tightest position that would have been available from factory. I have not had any dropped chains since making this change.

Only proprietary Pinion jockey wheels fit the tensioer. Of course being Pinion, they are about £30 for two plastic jockey wheels, which is ridiculous!

My plastic jockey wheels still have plenty of life in them, so I have just replaced the bearings and they are now running perfectly again.

The bearing code for Pinion KS1.2 jockey wheels is NSK607V, and they only cost about £3 per bearing.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 16:42 Quote
code26 wrote:

The bike is fine, but the fork was annoying. Plus a lot of the trails up here have slap drops/rock drops etc and the forks didn't feel right. Sold em for what the 38's cost me.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 16:43 Quote
excavator666 wrote:
I find that the bearings in the Pinion KS1.2 chain tensioner, tend to wear out quickly.

The shop which I bought my bike from had drilled an extra hole to allow them to reposition the spring and increase tension. I believe that this may be shortening the life span of the bearings.

I have relocated the tension spring so that it is in the tightest position that would have been available from factory. I have not had any dropped chains since making this change.

Only proprietary Pinion jockey wheels fit the tensioer. Of course being Pinion, they are about £30 for two plastic jockey wheels, which is ridiculous!

My plastic jockey wheels still have plenty of life in them, so I have just replaced the bearings and they are now running perfectly again.

The bearing code for Pinion KS1.2 jockey wheels is NSK607V, and they only cost about £3 per bearing.

I replaced every bearing in the bike and these were easy to get from local bearing place. My old ones didn't even move they were that seized haha..

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 2:07 Quote
Based in a very XCish place, most of my rides involve tons of pedaling and in very wet conditions. My belt is properly tensioned with everything stock and it wants to ride up the sprocket when things get wet and slippery. The stock plastic bit that prevent the belt from riding up the sprocket and skip works. I know this because when the belt tries to skip and rub against the plastic bit, I will hear a squeak. I broke two belts to this rubbing before I found the root cause.

So I designed a new piece of "hanger" to use it with a rubberized bearing. With the help of a friend I got it cnc and tested. No more rubbing of belt against plastic piece.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 7:14 Quote
Cool!!Im waiting for my kit to arrive,I will keep that in mind!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009923
Mobile Version of Website