The Zerode Thread.

PB Forum :: Other
The Zerode Thread.
| Next Page
Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 22:47 Quote
Dabroski-5 wrote:
ktm87 wrote:
I find this pretty exciting. New gearbox option!

New effigear fits into pinion mount and will fit any frame made for pinion and uses Sram trigger shifter

https://www.effigear.com/en/86-The-Mimic.html

I might have heard wrong but I'm pretty sure they were saying it could shift under load

I'm pretty sure you can drop gears under load but it's not possible to shift into an easier gear

Posted: May 30, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
Howdy,
New Zerode owner here.
Afetr 3 rides, it has become apparent that my first order of business needs to be sourcing a bash guard / skid plate
or whatever one calls these things. I am in fear of damaging the shift cables where they enter the housing. And I bottomed out on the first ride which popped off the cover.
The only thing I've found so far is the 3d printable bash guard from Zerode, but it doesn't protect that area, just the housing.
Anyone know of something?

Posted: May 30, 2022 at 15:54 Quote
CarbonShmarbon wrote:
Howdy,
New Zerode owner here.
Afetr 3 rides, it has become apparent that my first order of business needs to be sourcing a bash guard / skid plate
or whatever one calls these things. I am in fear of damaging the shift cables where they enter the housing. And I bottomed out on the first ride which popped off the cover.
The only thing I've found so far is the 3d printable bash guard from Zerode, but it doesn't protect that area, just the housing.
Anyone know of something?

hey mate - welcome to the club!

this group is super helpful, and a lot more engaged than this thread:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172210554737136

The people on there seem to have just tried the 3d bash plate, but if you ask on there you'll get more eyes on it I reckon.

Posted: May 30, 2022 at 21:15 Quote
Thanks for the tip!
I'll move over there.
(but in reality I'll be posting as my GF, as my Face is not Booked)

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 14:04 Quote
CarbonShmarbon wrote:
Thanks for the tip!
I'll move over there.
(but in reality I'll be posting as my GF, as my Face is not Booked)

all good! they're a helpful bunch, particularly the guy who set it up. he replaced both of my pinion seals the other day, with the sole extraction tool existing in NZ on loan from Zerode NZ HQ. Without that group I'd have been pretty stuffed.

sounds like you're hitting some pretty chunky stuff eh. not so much of that terrain where I ride, so I've never seen anyone with a solution to protect the cable entry points as well as the bash plate itself. my cables are pretty tight to the frame though - very little slack for an errant tree root to slip into.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 6:04 Quote
theweaz wrote:
Has anyone spent time on both the 140 and 160 versions of the taniwha and can compare the two?

Right now I have the mullet set up with a trail link and a db inline air. I’m not super impressed with the Db and wanted to switch to a coil, My bike came with the enduro link as well so I would only need a new shock and to lengthen the fork. As far as I can tell as long as the suspension curves are similar I’ll gain about a pound and the seat and head angles will get half a degree slacker, which isn’t a huge price to pay for better descending.

So basically what I’m asking is does the 160 link have a drastically different suspension feel or does it feel similar.

I have both 140mm Trail and the 160mm Enduro: DB Inline and DB Kitsuma for the Trail 140mm mode, and EXT Storia V3 Lok coil for 160mm mode.

I too found the DB Inline leaving something to be desired out of the 140mm travel. The Kitsuma has been well so far, comparatively feeling a bit more supple off the top and ramping up more smoothly at bottom-out, and I appreciate the 3-modes of descend, trail, and FIRM for my riding. Firm is very firm. The EXT Storia V3 has Hydraulic Bottom Out, so 'feels' as if ramps up smoothly at end of the stroke more than most coils.

Comparing 140mm air to 160mm coil isn't exactly apples to apples, but the suspension feel throughout the travel range is similar enough that swapping modes/shocks feels like riding the same bike just with firmer/plusher setups.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 13:52 Quote
I originally had a Kitsuma coil with the Enduro link (160mm), switched to a DVO Topaz Air (shorter stroke to make 140mm travel), and now settled on the Kitsuma coil with a 2.5mm spacer to give 150mm travel. Kept the Enduro link on the whole time. 170mm Zeb Ultimate fork up front.

For my trails (Northern Beaches of Sydney in Aus) the coil shock set at 160mm travel was too much for all day riding. It did feel like an Enduro beast soaking up everything, but was a bit unwieldy on extended tech climbs with a lot of suspension movement.

The DVO Topaz set at 140mm turned it into a poppy, agile speed machine which I could ride all day, and the pedalling uphill was vastly improved (I was running a 160mm Lyrik fork in this mode).

I think I've reached a happy medium with the 150mm coil shock and 170mm Zeb fork. Still get the small bump sensitivity of the coil shock, but climbing is good too as I put some more preload on the coil and I can feel the efficiency improvement on climbs with the travel limited to 150mm.

Dr Chris

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 0:50 Quote
DrChris wrote:
I originally had a Kitsuma coil with the Enduro link (160mm), switched to a DVO Topaz Air (shorter stroke to make 140mm travel), and now settled on the Kitsuma coil with a 2.5mm spacer to give 150mm travel. Kept the Enduro link on the whole time. 170mm Zeb Ultimate fork up front.

For my trails (Northern Beaches of Sydney in Aus) the coil shock set at 160mm travel was too much for all day riding. It did feel like an Enduro beast soaking up everything, but was a bit unwieldy on extended tech climbs with a lot of suspension movement.

The DVO Topaz set at 140mm turned it into a poppy, agile speed machine which I could ride all day, and the pedalling uphill was vastly improved (I was running a 160mm Lyrik fork in this mode).

I think I've reached a happy medium with the 150mm coil shock and 170mm Zeb fork. Still get the small bump sensitivity of the coil shock, but climbing is good too as I put some more preload on the coil and I can feel the efficiency improvement on climbs with the travel limited to 150mm.

Dr Chris

The shorter travel change shouldn't really affect the poppiness or agility in a positive way...that is most likely going from initially going from coil to air. You say you put a coil back on but shorter travel to regain some pop and agility but is it the same spring rate that you had when the coil was set up longer? What saps the energy is the soft spring and coil, firming things up will reduce that. The shorter travel in itself won't do anything provided the spring rate and damping is set the same if anything it will make things less agile as the head angle will slacken and your bodyweight will be more biased to the back end of the back. I would play around with going back to full travel and firming up the shock by going to the next spring rate up. The reason shorter travel bikes feel more agile generally is they have steeper geo in terms of the frame itself and firmer shock tunes...merely shortening the travel on a long travel bike will make things slacker and won't improve agility or use less energy...the increased energy needed is likely because you ran a softer setup when the shock was set to the longest travel.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005893
Mobile Version of Website