Best all-mountain/enduro bike for under $1,500USD

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best all-mountain/enduro bike for under $1,500USD
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 15:22 Quote
Hey guys, I know this is a pretty re-occuring question, but I just really need your help on this.Confused

I have been riding XC, all-mountain, and enduro for the past few years on my 2007 Specialized Hardrock Sport. It is a nice bike and allBig Grin , but the problem is is that it is a 14" hardtail frame (I have grown to be 5 foot 11) and the geometry isn't too good for me anymoreFrown . My back starts to hurt on long rides, and I have a feeling that it is because the geometry causes me to have an awkward riding position. I also need something that has full suspension, so I can keep up with some of my friends with nicer full suspension bikes, and improve myself as a rider, and tackle trails better and more efficiently.

Anyways, I have been doing some research on the best all mountain or enduro bike I can get for under $1,500USD.
So far, I have come up with the Kona Tanuki http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=tanuki#2 ($1,099 at my LBS)
and the 2013 Rocky Mountain Element 10 http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+ELEMENT_10.html?BIKE=981&CATID=1&SCATID=1&Y=2012 ($1,139 at JensonUSA)

So far, the Kona Tanuki looks like the best deal to me.

Here are the requirements that your suggestions should try to meet:

Attention $1,500 or less. (preferably closer to $1,250 or so)
Attention Has to be NEW
Attention Must have at least 120mm of suspension travel, with lockouts.
Attention Must be reasonably lightweight.
Attention Must have a decently aggressive tire.
Attention Must have hydraulic disc brakes with 180mm rotors.
Attention Must be able to take abuse from a energetic 15-year-old rider.
Attention Must be able to fit a water-bottle holder in the frame.
Attention Must have the best components for the price.
Attention Must have a dealer in Arizona, I want to try it before I buy it.

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 15:47 Quote
If it must be brand new I'd shop around and try to find older model years to save some money, paying retail for a complete bike is a little silly if budget is a big concern. The last XC bike I bought was an Element 50, I found a 2008 model at my local shop in the spring of 2010 and it was 50% off, so I got a $2,500 bike for $1,250. I would also really suggest going used if budget is a concern, for $1,500 you could get a very nice used bike with quality parts that have lots of life left in them. And unlike a car, you can easily inspect every little bit of a used bike before buying so you can tell if there are any problems.

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 15:49 Quote
ironxcross wrote:
If it must be brand new I'd shop around and try to find older model years to save some money, paying retail for a complete bike is a little silly if budget is a big concern. The last XC bike I bought was an Element 50, I found a 2008 model at my local shop in the spring of 2010 and it was 50% off, so I got a $2,500 bike for $1,250. I would also really suggest going used if budget is a concern, for $1,500 you could get a very nice used bike with quality parts that have lots of life left in them. And unlike a car, you can easily inspect every little bit of a used bike before buying so you can tell if there are any problems.

I would buy it if it is a few years old but brand new, but my parents will not allow me to buy something used already.

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 15:52 Quote
Mr88high wrote:
ironxcross wrote:

I would buy it if it is a few years old but brand new, but my parents will not allow me to buy something used already.

Why?

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 15:55 Quote
bikingalltheway wrote:
Mr88high wrote:
ironxcross wrote:

Why?

"There are no returns and recousrse for places like pinkbike and Craigslist"
I guess they want me to have a warranty, or some kind of return policy...

It is their rules, I have tried and tried, they are not budging.

Posted: Feb 10, 2013 at 14:15 Quote
Maybe a trance x3? Your pretty limited at that price, whatever you do get is going to be on the lower end components wise, expect to break a lot of parts depending on how hard you plan to ride it.

Posted: Feb 10, 2013 at 17:19 Quote
Ah sorry to hear that, used is a great option, but sometimes reasoning with parents is just plain out of the question. In that case I would definitely hunt around for left overs at your local shops. There's tons of super nice options in the $2,000-$2,500 range that could be in your price range if they are a season or two old.

Posted: Feb 10, 2013 at 23:03 Quote
New, no. Gently used, yes. Learn to wrench, it pays.

At this price range, I would go for a steel hardtail, like On-One 456 Evo ($300 shipped) (they make one in carbon as well for some extra $$), with 160mm fork, maybe lowered to 150mm, or Sektor RL dual position coil ($400 shipped) and 1x10 kit acquired through the magic of interwebz shopping - some German discount sites. About doable, and it would rock.

Thing like $85 for a pair of Shimano Deore M596 brakes - that work as good as absolutely anything. Sturdy wheelset in under ~$300 range. Just got a pair of Hans Dampfs Evo snakeskin trail/pace combo for $75. Rear Zee derailler ($65) and SLX cassette ($40) and Deore 10sp shifter. Cheapest seatpost and cockpit.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008680
Mobile Version of Website