How to convert your road bike to Singlespeed/Fixed (Post yours results)

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
How to convert your road bike to Singlespeed/Fixed (Post yours results)
Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 12:43 Quote
hey guys here's mine. A 1977 Elswick Hopper safeway. Made in my hometown and possibly by my grandfather (he worked as a framebuilder at the hopper factory). The bike was originally a 26" 3 speed town bike so I bought a cheap ebay fixie as a doner and converted it. Swapped out the heavy steel parts for alloy and cold set the frame and forks for modern wheel spacing. I made a set of drop plates to fit a modern dual pivot brake to the 700c wheel. I use it for running errands about town etc so I also made a neat little integrated lock for when I pop into shops etc.

elswick

elswick

elswick

elswick

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 13:37 Quote
This is a great thread and has inspired me to make a start.
Petehaddock you've done a cracking job on that bike mate it looks the business.

Posted: Dec 8, 2014 at 10:18 Quote
Some time ago, riding a bicycle in Bucharest was a dangerous idea, and even few owned a bicycle!,... So, I decided, together with a fellow architect, it's time to support the local bicycling culture to grow bigger.... The idea was to build ourselves some beautiful bicycles and convince others to jump into the wagon Smile ... Though, as none of us knew how to build a bicycle, we went for help to a third guy, a friend and also architect, which had already started to build custom bicycles.

As I had an old bicylcle - an east german one, I believe, which I bought from Berlin years ago for 25 eur - I decided to disassemble it and use the frame for a much simpler and colorful bicycle. Here is my old bike, in a very bad shape...

After a long battle with our friend, the builder, and many changes, I received this bicycle

My friend bought an old Cycles Peugeot frame and built this one

Then, the guy who built our bikes invited us to the first custom bicycles festival in Bucharest, called Ciclofest. More about the festival here... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150202296878652.311402.57544573651&type=3

There is, also, an epilogue:
These two are among the oldest custom bicycles in Bucharest, kind of grandfather and grandmother of custom bikes...
My frient with the aggressive purple bike became tired of cycling and decided to sell his bike,... so I bought his bike as well... Smile ))))
Being more experienced now, and looking to my old bike, I realize how many beautiful parts I threw off it... But hey, I learned my lesson!...

Have a nice evening, you all!

Posted: Dec 30, 2014 at 11:23 Quote
Hell yeah man! I just went and wrote this guide, then I did some Googling and I find your post. Killer guide man!

Posted: Dec 30, 2014 at 13:15 Quote
Amazing bikes and loved the stort behind it! Cheers for sharing Smile

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 8:07 Quote
First off, I'm a newb, so sorry if my pictures don't work, it's my first post. Oh and I'm using a terrible old phone right now so the picture quality is probably terrible.

This is my work in progress. An old 1984 peugeot esprit. My uncle had it from new and has been in the family since. I had it built up as a road bike until I recently bought a new roadie and decided to convert this to a fixed gear training bike. The only trouble I have at the moment is that with these flimsy horrible plastic toe clip pedals, going downhill with no brakes was the most terrifying thing in the world.

Now I've never seen this done on any other bike before but I decided to re-install the front brake, but route the cabling through the frame mounted friction shifters. Keeps the handlebars looking clean and is very practical. Once you have set how much braking you want for descending, to keep the cadence at a manageable speed, the friction lever will stay in place until it is changed again. It works brilliantly!

It looks a bit strange, but I quite like it and I like the look of the bare handlebars. Tell me what you think Smile

Work in progress

Using the frame mounted friction gear shifter as the front brake lever

Posted: Feb 16, 2015 at 16:28 Quote
Super smart using the DT shifters as a brake lever! This is my own peugeot conversion! Wink

Posted: Feb 18, 2015 at 10:55 Quote
Looks good, the old peugeots have great geometry for fixed gear don't they!

I wonder if you could help me, as I assume your peugeot frame is also made of "carbolite". Have you had any trouble with the rear wheel slipping? It seems as if the metal is too hard for the bolts to bite into properly and when putting a lot of torque through the rear wheel it slips forward.

This today resulted in dropping the chain off the rear cog, which fell into the gap between the hub and the frame. This just happens to be the exact width of a chain, where it therefore got wedged, locked the rear wheel and then had enough force to rip the chain apart. That was a fun walk home tup

Anyway, any advice to keep it in place as obviously chain tugs are out of the question with forward facing drop outs? Cheers

Posted: Feb 18, 2015 at 20:01 Quote
AMP1 wrote:
Looks good, the old peugeots have great geometry for fixed gear don't they!

I wonder if you could help me, as I assume your peugeot frame is also made of "carbolite". Have you had any trouble with the rear wheel slipping? It seems as if the metal is too hard for the bolts to bite into properly and when putting a lot of torque through the rear wheel it slips forward.

This today resulted in dropping the chain off the rear cog, which fell into the gap between the hub and the frame. This just happens to be the exact width of a chain, where it therefore got wedged, locked the rear wheel and then had enough force to rip the chain apart. That was a fun walk home tup

Anyway, any advice to keep it in place as obviously chain tugs are out of the question with forward facing drop outs? Cheers
My frame is chro-mo, not sure if that's the same thing. my wheel never slips when I ride but as i tension it, it seems to want to move forward, I usually just squeeze a screwdriver handle or something between the frame and wheel as I tork to keep it in place Razz not sure it that's any help..

Posted: Feb 18, 2015 at 22:01 Quote
Carbolite 103 is the tubing, entry level I think, not the material. I am also interested in a solution to this problem because my bike has no brakes and when the chain is dropping everything becomes quite dangerous...Madder

Posted: May 17, 2015 at 11:18 Quote
Well, might as add my Gazelle to the mix! Just finished it a while ago, and have changed the saddle to a SMP, but might change it again. Also possibly thinking of taking out the red and white spokes, and changing them to all black. Any thoughts?

Posted: Nov 12, 2015 at 21:44 Quote

So so good with this one.

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 23:48 Quote
This is just the perfect guide that anyone can use to convert a road bike to singlespeed. I have found the tutorial very educative and looking forward to share with others.

Posted: Mar 17, 2016 at 0:56 Quote
Thanks for your information!!Smile

Posted: Sep 16, 2016 at 10:44 Quote
Finished this up few weeks ago. The bike was already in pretty good shape, didn't have to do much. Covered the seat myself using old schwinn BMX seat. Have about $20 in it but I already had the leather and chicago screws

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/cwiehle/IMG_20160829_101323160_zpsqrucgibl.jpg

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.043164
Mobile Version of Website