Best (and worst) bike shop experiences?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best (and worst) bike shop experiences?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 17, 2013 at 7:22 Quote
I know there are a few threads where people complain about what a shit job their lbs did on something, but there are none commending them for great service. This is a general lbs discussion thread where you can discuss the best and worst of bike shops. Post away!

Posted: Feb 18, 2013 at 19:40 Quote
Not other than overpricing, i haven't had a bad experience. Just today I called one of the better LBS's in my area to see if they carried the FOX Gel Remedy Fullfinger Gloves (mens size small) in stock, and they said they had it for $37.95 (BEFORE TAX)

I get onto JensenUSA and buy the exact same gloves for $23.94 PLUS 2-day shipping.

Posted: Feb 18, 2013 at 20:41 Quote
Mr88high wrote:
Not other than overpricing, i haven't had a bad experience. Just today I called one of the better LBS's in my area to see if they carried the FOX Gel Remedy Fullfinger Gloves (mens size small) in stock, and they said they had it for $37.95 (BEFORE TAX)

I get onto JensenUSA and buy the exact same gloves for $23.94 PLUS 2-day shipping.
No to rant, but dude it's 15 bucks. That's an example of how supporting your LBS can't hurt you that much, and helps them out more than you think. If you come in the day before a race with your bike completely f*cked and with an hour until closing time do you think that the wrench in there is gonna feel inclined to help you out so you can get rolling the next day if all you ever did was call, check prices, then buy elsewhere? No.

Posted: Feb 18, 2013 at 22:42 Quote
Mr88high wrote:

You have no clue how running a shop works. Try price matching an item that is marked 5% over your wholesale cost and still manage to pay employees to answer price checking questions, pay your utilities and rent and then finally be able to provide for your family?

You don't need to buy at the shop, just don't bitch that they've closed down when you need to get your online purchase repaired or installed.

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 at 0:22 Quote
AdrienRides wrote:
You have no clue how running a shop works. Try price matching an item that is marked 5% over your wholesale cost and still manage to pay employees to answer price checking questions, pay your utilities and rent and then finally be able to provide for your family?

You don't need to buy at the shop, just don't bitch that they've closed down when you need to get your online purchase repaired or installed.

Well, it is a business, just like every other business. If they can't compete on price (and they can't.. I order parts from Europe for well under their wholesale delivered) - they need to compete on service.

Maybe then some mechanic will open a shop that is not screwed by the need to keep a slow moving expensive inventory, and offer his professional service on maintenance.

It is not just LBS, everybody has to evolve to survive.

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 at 2:40 Quote
In Mr88's defence he only said 'other than overpricing' so lets not set him on fire over his comment guys. At the end of the day we don't all have endless amounts of cash just to blow on what ever takes our fancy so hunting out the best price is just the way that some people have to do it...

I bet that he is happy with the service he gets from his LBS and I'm sure he understands that there will always be a mark up on stuff you get from a shop as the have overheads to pay..

As for me, I would say that I use my LBS for 99% of everything I buy.. Yes there are parts that I could of got on the net for less but I like the fact that if I'm in the shop and see something I like I can have it there and then...

One of my very good friends is the main man in the workshop so I get a lot of stuff done for me at 'mates rates' and If I ever have a problem with my bike I just walk it straight through the shop to the workshop and refuse to leave until it sorted!! Lol

As for the guy that runs the MTB side of the shop (Nick) he's a top man... Always willing to help will try his best to give as much of parts as he can and if he's not got something in stock you want will always do everything he can to get it in for you.... Also listens to the riders to see what stuff they want to see in the shop.. After all he knows that we are the ones who are going to be spending our dolla on it..

I like the personal touch that you get from the LBS, walking in there and them knowing your name and what bike you ride makes it so much easier to deal with.. There have been a few times iv gone in to get myself some new gear and nick has guided me into something else that might be better for me and my bike.. You don't get that when buying off the net!!

long live the LBS IMO.

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 at 14:20 Quote
cardiff, wales

reg braddick cycles

snobbish, horrendous service times and high prices.

sunset bikes

know what they are on about, helpful but small shop.

the one near the castle (name eludes me right now)
bigger shop, helpfull, good rep.

online shops:

chain reaction cycles

great service, prices speed of delivery (my recommendation)

jenson usa
just got my new bike from jenson, great price, but...they ignored all pre purchase service requests, left the bike with the security guard on delivery as it turned up 4 days earlier than expected. bike arrived with rust on the cassette, and a leaky front brake. taken me a week to get the tubeless sorted, now i need to buy a bleed kit and not sure what they have and havent serviced\tuned as a result. so much for gold service worth $150, BS.
still no reply to the mails i sent them. salesmen, nothing else.

pauls cycles
last bike i purchased from them had a shattered shifter lever, and the serial was unreadable, may or may not have been stolen or second hand, i could never warranty it. they're advice, sand down your nice paint job to read the number and stop bothering us. nuff said. again, salesmen.
also the delivery guy was too short to pick up the box, and refused to let me take it from the van due to liability, how the hell do you sort that out, i just took it and promised not to say anything cos he was very embarrassed lol.

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 at 14:45 Quote
BEST- crowthorne cyclezone - I took my full sus frame in pieces (pivot bearings out and all) and he built the bike up completely for £45
i was well pleased and the guy who built it, Ben is a legend.

WORST- won't say where because this is not in their nature and i've been back since for some great service.
but they snapped a bolt mounting my rear brake caliper on my new frame and had to drill a new larger hole Frown
i'm sure it's fine because i've ridden it for years but i was not happy!!

and yeh, bike shops will probably concentrate more on selling full bikes (since thats preferable in terms of returning)
and continue their servicing/building work because thats fairly good money.. personaly i only ever go to LBS now when i need something done that I dont have the tool for cos all my stuff is used.

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 at 14:53 Quote
Enzyme wrote:
also the delivery guy was too short to pick up the box, and refused to let me take it from the van due to liability, how the hell do you sort that out, i just took it and promised not to say anything cos he was very embarrassed lol.

thats amazing mate! shame about the first part though

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 at 19:09 Quote
stucon wrote:
In Mr88's defence he only said 'other than overpricing' so lets not set him on fire over his comment guys. At the end of the day we don't all have endless amounts of cash just to blow on what ever takes our fancy so hunting out the best price is just the way that some people have to do it...

I bet that he is happy with the service he gets from his LBS and I'm sure he understands that there will always be a mark up on stuff you get from a shop as the have overheads to pay..

As for me, I would say that I use my LBS for 99% of everything I buy.. Yes there are parts that I could of got on the net for less but I like the fact that if I'm in the shop and see something I like I can have it there and then...

One of my very good friends is the main man in the workshop so I get a lot of stuff done for me at 'mates rates' and If I ever have a problem with my bike I just walk it straight through the shop to the workshop and refuse to leave until it sorted!! Lol

As for the guy that runs the MTB side of the shop (Nick) he's a top man... Always willing to help will try his best to give as much of parts as he can and if he's not got something in stock you want will always do everything he can to get it in for you.... Also listens to the riders to see what stuff they want to see in the shop.. After all he knows that we are the ones who are going to be spending our dolla on it..

I like the personal touch that you get from the LBS, walking in there and them knowing your name and what bike you ride makes it so much easier to deal with.. There have been a few times iv gone in to get myself some new gear and nick has guided me into something else that might be better for me and my bike.. You don't get that when buying off the net!!

long live the LBS IMO.

Thank you for understanding. When it comes to individual items, like gloves, aftermarket components, apparel, gear and such, I will buy it online, unless one of the 5 LBS's in my town can stay competitive with the pricing. I can do most of the installations myself, unless it is a complicated job like lacing a wheel, or installing an entire braking or drivetrain system, which I am not an expert, nor do I have the proper tools to do so. I am going to buy a full price bike from my LBS, soon. But before you go and criticize me, take into consideration that I am an unemployed 15-year-old student, that is saving money for a $1,500 bike. Yes $15 matters to me, because it is vital for me to save every single penny I can.

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 at 19:59 Quote
Mr88high wrote:
stucon wrote:

long live the LBS IMO.

Thank you for understanding. When it comes to individual items, like gloves, aftermarket components, apparel, gear and such, I will buy it online, unless one of the 5 LBS's in my town can stay competitive with the pricing. I can do most of the installations myself, unless it is a complicated job like lacing a wheel, or installing an entire braking or drivetrain system, which I am not an expert, nor do I have the proper tools to do so. I am going to buy a full price bike from my LBS, soon. But before you go and criticize me, take into consideration that I am an unemployed 15-year-old student, that is saving money for a $1,500 bike. Yes $15 matters to me, because it is vital for me to save every single penny I can.
lol Quit bitching man. I'm 13. Obviously also in school. It's frozen or sludgy outside for more than 5 months of the year. Not even snow, just cold. No employment for me either in those months so I earn money by selling things I no longer use, or working and saving during the sunny and warm months. Also I buy expensive stuff that I wouldn't have the $$ to buy at the lbs anyway off of Pinkbike, much better value. Got a 2007 Marzocchi All Mountain 1, which has 100-150mm of travel for less than $150 with shipping. $15 can't set you back that much especially considering that in the long run, if you treat your LBS well they will do the same in return.

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 at 20:19 Quote
My Lbs charged me 200$ for a 118$ air of bmx cranks and they over charge me for almost everything, but ill be happy when they'll be there for me when i need it!

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 8:51 Quote
RunnerBobo wrote:
$15 can't set you back that much especially considering that in the long run, if you treat your LBS well they will do the same in return.

I am 42 with a well paying job. I would never spend an extra $15 when I can easily avoid doing that. It is just stupid. Do the same in return? What, they will just give him $15 as a gift?

Dealing with local shops usually is a waste of time for an enthusiast. It is faster to fix anything on your bike in your garage than to drive back and forth and to wait until they get to it. They never ever have parts I need in stock anyway, and charge double.

They serve their purpose for people to whom this is not a hobby, but they just need some bike and a place where they can ask to change a tube or twist adjuster on a derailleur.

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 9:21 Quote
Axxe wrote:
They never ever have parts I need in stock anyway, and charge double.
They serve their purpose for people to whom this is not a hobby, but they just need some bike and a place where they can ask to change a tube or twist adjuster on a derailleur.
I have never asked my LBS to change a tube or adjust my derailleur. Those two things are easy to do at home. An example of something that the LBS is good for is getting a new headset installed. Do you have a crown race puller or any of the other necessary tools to do that job? Probably not, and the $20 that my bike shop charges for a headset installation is less than it would cost to buy the tools, even if I change headsets three times a year for multiple years.

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 12:40 Quote
RunnerBobo wrote:
Mr88high wrote:
stucon wrote:

long live the LBS IMO.

lol Quit bitching man. I'm 13. Obviously also in school. It's frozen or sludgy outside for more than 5 months of the year. Not even snow, just cold. No employment for me either in those months so I earn money by selling things I no longer use, or working and saving during the sunny and warm months. Also I buy expensive stuff that I wouldn't have the $$ to buy at the lbs anyway off of Pinkbike, much better value. Got a 2007 Marzocchi All Mountain 1, which has 100-150mm of travel for less than $150 with shipping. $15 can't set you back that much especially considering that in the long run, if you treat your LBS well they will do the same in return.

Well, look at it this way; if you save $15, you have $15 more to spend on other parts!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012676
Mobile Version of Website