The age old question, if I only have one bike for now, is it worth giving up a great DH bike for a 6 inch bike that can do every

PB Forum :: Downhill
The age old question, if I only have one bike for now, is it worth giving up a great DH bike for a 6 inch bike that can do every
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 10:35 Quote
This is probably the age old question

Question:
I am thinking about selling my DH rig for something like a 6 inch bike that can pedal up and also do DH. What are some recommendations, im leaning toward a nomad right now

I love the way a slacked out DH rig (aurum 2) feels and mobs thru steep stuff and big drops, but I want to be able to get to trails that I cant shuttle on a DH. I feel my rig does all freeride/DH really good

SO if I only have one bike for now, is it worth giving up a great DH bike for a 6 inch bike that can do everything just ok?

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 11:19 Quote
The Nomad is a good choice and i've been told SC will honour their warranty even on 2nd hand frames which is fantastic.. also norco did a shorter travel bike i think called the truax and i've seen that do some pretty crazy stuff

but none of them are going to be great for dh and their warranties probably wont cover that sort of abuse

i cant really see climbing on a 6 inch rig being a massive improvement on your aurum to be honest... personaly i'd never take a long travel bike to anything that could involve much pedalling.

maybe an even shorter travel rig would be an option? (much more choice these days), but since they're typically much cheaper than a dh rig i'd keep the aurum because it will be more expensive to replace that if you change your mind...
plus the aurum is one of my fave frames, so perhaps im biased Wink

good luck dude

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 12:08 Quote
Thanks for giving something to think about

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 12:09 Quote
no worries, i'm sure other people on here will give more advice

If you are looking to replace the bike, maybe enduro is the way to go

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 12:16 Quote
yeah, i love how a DH handles, but im just wondering if i can get the same cushy/confident feel from a 6 inch bike that also lets me pedal up hills. Im not going to be breaking any up hill times so im not concerned with going smaller then a 6 inch bike, but does any 6 inch bike handle as good as a DH rig in rock gardens, drops, steeps?

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 12:33 Quote
my cove gspot was awesome. handled all the dh just fine and it climbed good too.

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 12:48 Quote
Could stick one of the altered cassettes (on pb home page) on the aurum or a hammershimdit thingy.
Have a Scott voltage which currently has a 64 degree ha and dc forks but a fork change (single crown) and reversal of the Angleset (turn cups) and move shock bolt and I go from 200mm to 160-110 up front snd a trail ripper. It's never going to be a mountain.goat but it kills the drops back down.

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 12:52 Quote
have you done the single crown change? what did you think?

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 13:01 Quote
thats a good option, if you think about doing it.. make sure the single crown clears the frame in every position.
obv a dc fork stops turning at a certain point so you wouldnt normally have to think about it...

just in case you crash, and it damages your beautiful frame!!

man i love the colourscheme on the aurum, im waiting for someone on the photoshop thread to shop my bike with the same scheme so that I can paint it Big Grin

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 13:32 Quote
sweet! I wish mine was the blue/green one. that's the aurum color i like the most

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 13:39 Quote
o yeh i meant that sorry! but lovely bike regardless

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 20:39 Quote
I'm with you man. Currently selling my foes to get an all mountain/enduro rig. I've never used the full rear travel and I can't climb on it so it has two things not going for it but it does feel so good on the downhills. Someone buy it. Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009739
Mobile Version of Website