1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Build

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Build
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 26, 2013 at 3:38 Quote
This is my heckler that ive owned for about 2 years. ive been stripping it down cleaning/polishing it for the past few weeks and am now rebuilding it with some different kit

heres what ive managed with some fine wire wool, some autosol and an old rag Wink
stripped the frame down for a clean and re grease
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler

im hoping to send the forks off to a guy on retrobike for a rebuild. the internals inside the left sanction rattles inside and you can hear it when you ride. it also doesnt rebound on its own and relies on the right leg to bring it back up into position. the forks need new bushings too and i'll probably have the seals changed just to be safe Smile
1997 Pace RC36

cheers, sean tup

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2013 at 12:39 Quote
Thats gorgeous man. Good stuff, I look forward to seeing it built up.

Posted: Feb 26, 2013 at 13:28 Quote
DARKSTAR63 wrote:
Thats gorgeous man. Good stuff, I look forward to seeing it built up.

Cheers mate tup

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2013 at 13:32 Quote
Wow you have a lot of good ones. That '93 Orange is stunning! I really want to get into getting my hands on some vintage bikes. (early to mid 90's) ... The bikes I lusted after but couldn't afford when I was younger. So cool to look and great pieces of history.

Posted: Feb 27, 2013 at 5:39 Quote
DARKSTAR63 wrote:
Wow you have a lot of good ones. That '93 Orange is stunning! I really want to get into getting my hands on some vintage bikes. (early to mid 90's) ... The bikes I lusted after but couldn't afford when I was younger. So cool to look and great pieces of history.

The orange has to be one of my favourite retro bikes ive owned, it cost me a fortune to refurbish Smile

Posted: Feb 27, 2013 at 5:44 Quote
update 27/2/13

heres some of the groupset i have for the santa cruz:

- A 90's Azonic Bar/Stem combo
- 90's Raceface Turbine Cranks, that i plan to run single ring with a bash

90 s Azonic Bar Stem 90 s Raceface Turbine Cranks Xlite

The wheels are vintage Hope titanium Glides laced to mavic 117 rims, with a shimano XTR 8 speed cassette and original hope qr's. Tyres are IRC treal bears Smile

Retro Titanium Hope Wheels Mavic rims
Retro Titanium Hope Wheels Mavic rims and IRC tyres

sean

Posted: Mar 1, 2013 at 22:33 Quote
I remember when I was 14 and absolutely drooling over these bikes... That thing is one sweet looking ride!

Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 9:45 Quote
cheers guys, the bikes gradually starting to go back together and it should hopefully look pretty decent once its finished

sean

1996 Raceface Turbine cranks with azonic 36t chainring and NOS MRP Bashring

1997 Santa Cruz Heckler

1997 Santa Cruz Heckler

Posted: Mar 26, 2013 at 5:37 Quote
I have a Suntour VX Accushift mech that'd suit this build really well, I dunno if it's 8spd compatible though (I've been using it on a 6spd cassette made of 6 rings from a 9spd block and some spacers, used with a 9spd shifter and it works pretty damned well) I fitted it brand new to my SX trail a couple of months ago because I was working in a bike shop and found it in a drawer, I thought it was something quirky and a bit different... I'm looking to replace it with something with a stiffer spring so if you're interested PM me on here Smile

Posted: Mar 26, 2013 at 16:16 Quote
Mate that's like 1980s 6 speed stuff. I've got an original shimanbo XTR groupset for this build

Sean Wink

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 at 2:20 Quote
I've fitted the bike with a mix of period xt and xtr. The end of this rebuild is now in sight Smile

Sean

rereo santa cruz heckler build. shimano deore xt azonic 1997 era
rereo santa cruz heckler build. shimano deore xt azonic 1997 era

Posted: Apr 16, 2013 at 4:01 Quote
Here she is finished.... for now Wink

this is my 1997 santa cruz heckler. its practically like new condition and 90 original parts

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016813
Mobile Version of Website