1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Build

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Build
Author Message
Posted: May 5, 2013 at 6:55 Quote
cheers

More pics 05/05/13

1997 Santa Cruz Heckler. Going for less of an xc look soon with longer travel

1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Going for less of an xc look soon with longer travel fork

1997 Santa Cruz Heckler

this is my 1997 santa cruz heckler. its practically like new condition and 90 original parts

this is my 1997 santa cruz heckler. its practically like new condition and 90 original parts

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 at 1:52 Quote
seem to have a little collection of forks gathering for the bike now. :Cool :
1999 Marzochhi Bomber z2 (80mm)
1998 Pace Racing RC36 (90mm)
1999 Marzocchi Bomber z1 CR (100mm)

the z2 were only on the bike for a day or two, they dont have enough travel, also making the bike too low at the front and the colour scheme didnt match either.i didnt expect to find a pair of z1 to replace them so quickly
1999 Marzochhi Bomber z2 80mm 1998 Pace Racing RC36 90mm 1999 Marzocchi Bomber z1 CR 100mm been using the pace for the last 2 years and they ve never let me down i bought the z2 to temporarily replace them but i hated these forks so they were swapped out after a day. now ive bought the z1 s and im gonna fit them any day now

picture of my z1 fork, the picture doesn't really do them justice, the legs are really shiny Wink
1999 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 CR 100mm Travel. i bought these forks to replace the pace rc36 on my santa cruz

and my old pace racing fork. i really liked these fork, theyve never let me down the past two years. its a shame they have to go, but they just arent suitable for the Santa Cruz
my old pace racing fork. these have never let me down the past two years. I m changing em for z1s cus they aint tough enough for the Santa Cruz and too short travel

Posted: Jun 6, 2013 at 17:28 Quote
Wow. That bike is pure sex. Amazing.

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 at 3:44 Quote
got a chain device now. its a home made one, which is just a piece of metal cut to shape with a roller bolted on, but it does the job, and most importantly, it makes the bike look better

got a chain device now. its a home made one which is just a piece of metal cut to shape with a roller bolted on but it does the job and most importantly it makes the bike look better
 97 santa cruz heckler Raceface Turbine cranks MRP bash Chain device

Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 23:22 Quote
Wow Sean. Great buildSalute

I've recently acquired one of these 1st gen heckler frames (99' I think..) and was thinking about swapping the swingarm.
Do you know if the later (03'-07) swingarms will fit these older frames? Or do they mount up differently.
I've run a bunch of searches and haven't found any solutions.

Posted: Jul 17, 2013 at 0:07 Quote
poolguy55 wrote:
Wow Sean. Great buildSalute

I've recently acquired one of these 1st gen heckler frames (99' I think..) and was thinking about swapping the swingarm.
Do you know if the later (03'-07) swingarms will fit these older frames? Or do they mount up differently.
I've run a bunch of searches and haven't found any solutions.

Cheers, and tbh I'm not sure about that. They did change the mounds on these in 98 or something and the get this swingarm to fit I had to change the shape of the swingarm mount a little with a file. It was a pain in the arse. I'd say get a swing arm from 99-02 to be on the safe side. They can run disks 99 onwards. Get some pictures of the frame uploaded and I'll have a look. Would make it easier for me to say

Sean

Posted: Aug 11, 2013 at 18:51 Quote
sean-s-1991 wrote:
poolguy55 wrote:
Wow Sean. Great buildSalute

I've recently acquired one of these 1st gen heckler frames (99' I think..) and was thinking about swapping the swingarm.
Do you know if the later (03'-07) swingarms will fit these older frames? Or do they mount up differently.
I've run a bunch of searches and haven't found any solutions.

Cheers, and tbh I'm not sure about that. They did change the mounds on these in 98 or something and the get this swingarm to fit I had to change the shape of the swingarm mount a little with a file. It was a pain in the arse. I'd say get a swing arm from 99-02 to be on the safe side. They can run disks 99 onwards. Get some pictures of the frame uploaded and I'll have a look. Would make it easier for me to say

Sean

Thanks for the help man. I actually contacted Santa Cruz with the same question and they said it wouldn't work. I might look for a 99' or later swingarm for it so I can get the disc mounts.

Posted: Aug 13, 2013 at 16:39 Quote
poolguy55 wrote:
sean-s-1991 wrote:
poolguy55 wrote:
Wow Sean. Great buildSalute

I've recently acquired one of these 1st gen heckler frames (99' I think..) and was thinking about swapping the swingarm.
Do you know if the later (03'-07) swingarms will fit these older frames? Or do they mount up differently.
I've run a bunch of searches and haven't found any solutions.

Cheers, and tbh I'm not sure about that. They did change the mounds on these in 98 or something and the get this swingarm to fit I had to change the shape of the swingarm mount a little with a file. It was a pain in the arse. I'd say get a swing arm from 99-02 to be on the safe side. They can run disks 99 onwards. Get some pictures of the frame uploaded and I'll have a look. Would make it easier for me to say

Sean

Thanks for the help man. I actually contacted Santa Cruz with the same question and they said it wouldn't work. I might look for a 99' or later swingarm for it so I can get the disc mounts.



Cool, np tup

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 4:27 Quote
with the saddle back in the position that santa cruz intended

1997 Santa Cruz Heckler

Posted: Nov 9, 2013 at 3:40 Quote
More Close up picsWink
comments welcome. sean

1997 Santa Cruz Heckler
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler mavic 117 IRC Trail bear
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler fox vanilla shock with preload
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Shimano XTR m950 Rear mech
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Race Face Turbine
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Hope TIGlide
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Shimano XT Azonic bar and stem
Shimano XTR m950 Brake and carbon fibre booster
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Hope TIGlide
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler made in USA

Posted: Nov 10, 2013 at 13:47 Quote
Such a great build man.
It's inspired me to pull my old Heckler off the garage wall and start the process of tearing down and refurbishing the frame. It appears to be the same year as yours. Probably 97'-98'. I think I'm just gonna keep it as a back up bike.
...

Posted: Nov 10, 2013 at 14:48 Quote
poolguy55 wrote:
Such a great build man.
It's inspired me to pull my old Heckler off the garage wall and start the process of tearing down and refurbishing the frame. It appears to be the same year as yours. Probably 97'-98'. I think I'm just gonna keep it as a back up bike.
...

Looks tidy. Polish the swingarm and get some original parts on it. I'll sell you forks bars and stem if ur interested?

Sean

Posted: Nov 10, 2013 at 16:27 Quote
sean-s-1991 wrote:
Looks tidy. Polish the swingarm and get some original parts on it. I'll sell you forks bars and stem if ur interested?

Sean

Thanks man.
I'll keep that in mind.
I've got a lot of parts laying around in the shop. I'm gonna see what I can scrap together with what I have. I don't know if it will be all original.
I saw this in the Buy/Sell and kinda like it. I might go orange.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.072866
Mobile Version of Website